Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
joSSe

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
WTB: Pressure Washer

Can anyone recommend a good pressure washer will be mainly for washing cars? What's the maintenance on the gas ones? I was looking at the generac one wash 3100psi 2.8 gpm
Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Have you thought about an electric pressure washer? I have the Greenworks GPW 2000 and it works really well for washing cars. It has 2000 psi at 1.2 gpm. Plenty of power for washing cars and not as much noise as a Gas job. Works well with my form cannon also.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Honestly, and this is just me, I wouldn't spend the money on a pressure washer just to wash the car unless it was a business investment or going to be used for other projects. After years of washing my own cars, a pressure washer has never, ever done as good of a job as I wanted. I don't keep my car immaculate by any means but a quick hand wash and dry is (to me) much better than any pressure washer. Maybe I've been doing something wrong though. I've got a really nice pressure washer but I won't waste the gas and time using it on my vehicles.

All that being said; if you're buying it to use in a business, get one with a good triplex pump that's rebuildable. I personally recommend Cat triplex. I've got one of the AAA triplex pumps on mine and it's not going to last nearly as long as the rest of the washer. Triplex pumps will outlast the axial cam pumps and by the time they need servicing, you may have gone through two or three of the economy models. When the economy models go south on you, it can cost almost as much as a new washer to repair or replace unless you've got an inside line to extra pumps. They cost more, but these things seem to be one of those deals where it's better to buy once, cry once.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
I have a Craftman gas unit. I use it for a lot of things like pressure washing the house. I use it on my Jeep and truck after I've been in the mud, but I don't use it on the car... Too easy to mess something up... Just my .02
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
joSSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjak55 View Post
Honestly, and this is just me, I wouldn't spend the money on a pressure washer just to wash the car unless it was a business investment or going to be used for other projects. After years of washing my own cars, a pressure washer has never, ever done as good of a job as I wanted. I don't keep my car immaculate by any means but a quick hand wash and dry is (to me) much better than any pressure washer. Maybe I've been doing something wrong though. I've got a really nice pressure washer but I won't waste the gas and time using it on my vehicles.

All that being said; if you're buying it to use in a business, get one with a good triplex pump that's rebuildable. I personally recommend Cat triplex. I've got one of the AAA triplex pumps on mine and it's not going to last nearly as long as the rest of the washer. Triplex pumps will outlast the axial cam pumps and by the time they need servicing, you may have gone through two or three of the economy models. When the economy models go south on you, it can cost almost as much as a new washer to repair or replace unless you've got an inside line to extra pumps. They cost more, but these things seem to be one of those deals where it's better to buy once, cry once.
I want to start detailing cars so I figured its time for a pressure washer but not only will it be used for cars I will use it for outside home projects as well. Thanks for the advice though!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
joSSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Have you thought about an electric pressure washer? I have the Greenworks GPW 2000 and it works really well for washing cars. It has 2000 psi at 1.2 gpm. Plenty of power for washing cars and not as much noise as a Gas job. Works well with my form cannon also.
I thought about an electric one, save time having to change oil etc but I was told people with electric ones always seem to go buy a gas one after a while. Its always good to have more psi for certain occasions. & Yes I'm wanting to get the foam cannon lol
Old 04-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #7
joSSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvr View Post
I have a Craftman gas unit. I use it for a lot of things like pressure washing the house. I use it on my Jeep and truck after I've been in the mud, but I don't use it on the car... Too easy to mess something up... Just my .02
Yeah I understand, i usually always take my car to the car wash and use the pressure washer there to remove any bird debree, mud etc. Its always good to have one in handy for outside house work too. I see that you can also adjust the psi so of course i wouldn't be using the 3000 for the car.