Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question LFX 3.6 V6 question

My dad bought last month a 2012 Impala LS with the 3.6 LFX engine. from what I read here it is the same motor in the current base Camaro engine (as well as used in other GM cars/crossovers). But what my dad wants to know is A: what is the correct HP amount, I am sure it is not the same 312 or whatever it puts out in the Camaro mainly cause he does not have dual exhaust (but he DOES have dual mufflers) and B: what is the difference between the LFX in the Camaro and the LFX in his Impala? For the record, he LOVES the car I have driven it myself and it is easily one of the fastest cars of his I have drove (and he had a 96 Z28 Camaro).
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
My dad bought last month a 2012 Impala LS with the 3.6 LFX engine. from what I read here it is the same motor in the current base Camaro engine (as well as used in other GM cars/crossovers). But what my dad wants to know is A: what is the correct HP amount, I am sure it is not the same 312 or whatever it puts out in the Camaro mainly cause he does not have dual exhaust (but he DOES have dual mufflers) and B: what is the difference between the LFX in the Camaro and the LFX in his Impala? For the record, he LOVES the car I have driven it myself and it is easily one of the fastest cars of his I have drove (and he had a 96 Z28 Camaro).
http://gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngin...nProducts.aspx
Impala LFX
300 hp @ 6500
262 ft-lbs @ 5300

About the only differences between engines in different applications are the intake & exhaust. Its a royal pain to get good exhaust flow on a transverse mounted V type engine, getting the exhaust from the front cylinder bank smoothly to the back of the car is the main problem.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
My dealership rented a 2012 Impala LTZ for me while my car was in for warranty work. All I can say is that I am very confident that car would have walked my Camaro in a race. I haven't studied the issue, but there is something about the set-up that feels way stronger. Probably weight, gearing...etc. Anyway, I had a blast driving that thing for a few days.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The LFX in the Camaro is rated at 323HP and 278 TQ, which is not a huge difference, but notably higher than the rating in the Impala.

I'd say the exhaust and the tune make the difference. I believe the Impala will also accept E85 fuel while the Camaro will not. Its is not exhaust alone unless that Impala is completely plugged up.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Rapid Runner

Drives: 2012 Audi TT-RS
Even the impala with the 3.9L be moving, something about them

Sent from BigNorm's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Rapid Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
archtaan

Drives: car
Chevrolet Camaro Coupe and Convertible 323 hp (241kW) @ 6800 SAE Certified
Chevrolet Impala Police Vehicle 302 hp (225kW) @ 6800 SAE Certified
Chevrolet Impala 300 hp (224kW) @ 6500 SAE Certified

Probably exhaust, the manifolds are likely different and the air intakes/manifold might have more bends in the Impala.
archtaan is offline   Reply With Quote