Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Cooling for my 427LSX TT bad boy! What's best?

In 90*F weather here in California with stop and go driving I am getting up to 232*F coolant temps and not liking it. I am running the AGP race intercooler so that is a big issue. Thinking about 3 things to change.....bigger alum radiator....higher cfm fans and a electric water pump to be controlled by my Pro EFI computer.
Flex a lite had a nice radiator /fan set up that they have now discontinued. So it looks like there is only Mishimoto ($400)or Be Cool ($900) for radiator options for a 2010 SS. Does anyone know of any other options?
Also.....can't seem to find any higher cfm aftermarket fan system upgrades either.....anyone know of any?

Anyone upgrade their cooling systems????

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Aux water pump will get you 4° cooler — when moving, maybe 2 when not — I have a bigger rad (CSF), separate trans (auto) and oil coolers, plus all the hx coolers — still gets to 217° In the summer. More venting of the engine bay and a belly pan would help. I also created baffling to force the air through the radiator.

I’d see if you can baffle the air towards the radiator and eliminate areas where it can sneak around it — bottom, sides, top. Belly pan would help with pressure differences also...

I looked for fans, the only thing I founds was a JMS fan booster to run the fans faster at idle — that is another option.

It gets hot here too ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Check Ron Davis. I love my heat exchanger. Not cheap.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Omega

Drives: G8
Before you spend big money on parts, make sure you're directing air through the radiator.

I assume you/your tuner has lowered the fan turn on temps?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Scuzz

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I had a custom radiator made.
Attached Images

Scuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
Happy birthday Glenn! But hey I dont see coolant temp issues at all and I have the race intercooler, I would assume you have the 160 Tstat? Also running ethanol would help a ton. Get that dex coolant out of there and run all water with some water wetter.
2015 Camaro SS, LS3 Stroker, PRC heads,CUSTOM CAM. AGP 68/68 with custom Hot and Cold side. Fore triple pumps, Holley terminator X. BMR drag suspension with carlyle brake kit. 15" ET drags and 17" skinnies. ZL1 3.73 gears , aluminum driveshaft. TH400 with circle D converter.
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
I'm pretty sure the highest CFM fans out are the PWM Spals. Copy Scuzz's set-up.
Aux cooling at the back of the car works great too. Brake up the cool job around the car more.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
Id look at a radiator from the guys at C&R. Also look into the tune. If on e85 richen up the idle and the temps will drop some. im assuming you already have a 160* stat?
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #9
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Just a note about the guys mentioning running a lower Tstat. If your car is running 230 degrees at idle it does not matter if you have a 120 degree Tstat or a 210 degree Tstat. Directing air flow is a big one. Scuzz that had his custom made has an awesome shroud that makes sure all air from the fans goes through the radiator and not pulled around gaps. A larger radiator can help increasing cooling capacity. Running a longer loop aux set up would fix it but probably be my last attempt. I don't personally like electric water pumps, I like a mechanical pump, just feels more reliable to me.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If you have no risk of freezing you would benefit from straight distilled water and water wetter.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
ZX1truth, Scuzz and I are in the same boat; but Scuzz is way ahead of us. I don't have the stop-and-go getting hot issue but if I run at higher RPMs, I get hot 230*F plus. Still stock radiator and fans but did adjust the tune for the fans to come on faster, earlier. I'm thinking I'll try the DeWitt 1-1/2" tube radiator (versus the 1" tube) first, but that fancy shroud sure looks pretty.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
If you have no risk of freezing you would benefit from straight distilled water and water wetter.
This right here works really well. Had cooling issues on a blown 4th gen I had and this solved all my issues. Straight water and 2 bottles of water wetter worked wonders.
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
ZX1truth, Scuzz and I are in the same boat; but Scuzz is way ahead of us. I don't have the stop-and-go getting hot issue but if I run at higher RPMs, I get hot 230*F plus. Still stock radiator and fans but did adjust the tune for the fans to come on faster, earlier. I'm thinking I'll try the DeWitt 1-1/2" tube radiator (versus the 1" tube) first, but that fancy shroud sure looks pretty.
Just doing some deep thinking after my two margarita lunch. But do you guys with these 427 build think that your higher temps are due to having iron blocks and not necessarily an "inefficient" cooling system. The higher temp are likely due to the iron's lack of ability to dissipate hit as efficiently as aluminum. Seem like a reasonable trade off, strength for temps, but is this really even a "big" issue?
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #14
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
I have a steel block, FMIC, upgraded radiator, A/C, etc. I even upped the pulsewidth on the stock fans, until it melted the OEM fan connectors.
When I lived in Vegas, the temps would typically be about 220 w/ A/C. I used distilled water and RMI-25. Even so, my oil temps would climb to uncomfortable numbers.