Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
DroneShotFPV

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Questions about the K&N Typhoon CAI and the 3.6L

So I bought a new to me Camaro, absolute STEAL of a deal. 29k miles on it, MINT condition. Runs fine, but as I do with everything, I like to make it "better"
I purchased the K&N 69-4523TP "typhoon" Cold Air Intake system, installed it, followed the rules, works PERFECTLY. No engine lights, nothing, and sounds amazing.

My question is this, does it take a minute for the car to adjust to the new system, and get itself "in line" with it, before it kicks into high gear, or is it ready to rock? I ask because it seemed to be a little "doggy" at first when I installed and then took it down the road. Keep in mind, I tend to see things that don't exist when it comes to "issues" after installing a mod on something. I am probably just paranoid, but it just seemed the throttle response was a little more sluggish initially.
One thing I thought it COULD be, is the sound is different, to the feel that I was used to, paired with the sound I got is obviously different, so it could be an associated thing. Anyway, just wanted to know the thoughts of the more experienced users and modders out there in what I should expect, and if it needs more time, or if I am just nuts and need to shut up and drive the dang thing! hahaha
Thanks in advance guys, ya'll are wondeful!

DroneShotFPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Was the throttle sluggish like that before you installed the CAI?

If it wasn't, then the only thing I can suggest is going over all the connections again to make sure everything is all nice and tight with no air leaks.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
DroneShotFPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Was the throttle sluggish like that before you installed the CAI?

If it wasn't, then the only thing I can suggest is going over all the connections again to make sure everything is all nice and tight with no air leaks.
Unfortunately that's the thing, I'm not 100% sure. It has plenty of pep in it's step, it just felt, in my mind at least, like the acceleration while already moving (downshift into passing gear when romped) seemed less responsive, but I can't be for sure if it isn't just me worrying either. I think it's just me, but I'll triple check all the connections just to be sure.
Side note, is it a good idea to clamp down the PCV hoses to make sure they're always snug? I accidentally pulled the one on the back of then engine off when putting the new one on the front side...

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
mikeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneShotFPV View Post
Unfortunately that's the thing, I'm not 100% sure. It has plenty of pep in it's step, it just felt, in my mind at least, like the acceleration while already moving (downshift into passing gear when romped) seemed less responsive, but I can't be for sure if it isn't just me worrying either. I think it's just me, but I'll triple check all the connections just to be sure.
Side note, is it a good idea to clamp down the PCV hoses to make sure they're always snug? I accidentally pulled the one on the back of then engine off when putting the new one on the front side...

Thanks!
I'd clamp the part that goes into the valve cover really good. The part that goes into the intake tube doesn't need a clamp if it fits snug. If it's loose, then I'd clamp that part of the hose too.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You have slightly altered one of the engine parameters. A few cycles of driving and all should be well.....as the computer adjusts.
Have fun!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:52 PM   #6
mikeman
Banned

Also, it couldn't hurt to leave the battery disconnected overnight to reset everything.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:37 AM   #7
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Hello DroneShotFPV, yes, I installed the same CAI on my 3.6 last year and it did seem to run "doggy" for about a week(after checking for leaks,retightehing etc.) and then it ran fine ever since. I don't know why but as Avenging Orange says, I really think the computer needs a few cycles before it adjusts. Good Luck!!
Old 03-06-2021, 05:16 AM   #8
DroneShotFPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
Hello DroneShotFPV, yes, I installed the same CAI on my 3.6 last year and it did seem to run "doggy" for about a week(after checking for leaks,retightehing etc.) and then it ran fine ever since. I don't know why but as Avenging Orange says, I really think the computer needs a few cycles before it adjusts. Good Luck!!
Ok, good deal, I was wondering because I saw other posts about a few mods that suggested the computer needed to adjust or "re-learn" due to a change in how it's been since factory, which makes total sense. I am glad to know that you had the same experience @joekono, that makes me feel better!

@mikeman I will probably do the battery thing as well, to see if that can hurry it along

@Avenging Orange, wanted to say that I LOVE that color, Inferno Orange! That is what I am wanting my ZL1 to be. My wife literally bought this one for me (paid cash for it even!) and said "I wanted you to have one until you can buy the exact one you want". I have forever been leaning towards a Grey one like I have now, or the Inferno Orange with a blacked out hood. Such choices!

Don't get me wrong, it's not like it won't move, because she still scoots REALLY well.. lol In testing I even accidentally (yes, I wasn't trying to, this time HA!) spun the tires when leaving the gas station!

Thanks again guys for all your responses. This is going to be a fun journey modding and making her more mine. I can see the $$$ flying out the window!
Old 03-06-2021, 05:38 AM   #9
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Drive by wire cars take time to learn driving behavior.

The previous owner probably grannied around.

Drive it like you stole it for a week and she should get her pep back.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #10
DroneShotFPV

So, just wanted to post an update. As recommended, I just drove it all week, and honestly I took the "drive it like you stole it" advice VERY seriously lol I stayed mostly aggressive within reason as I could, and it drives .ore like I expected it would, and similar / better than it did before removing the negative battery terminal and Installing the Cold Air Intake system. It sounds deeper, and really seems to have a little more oomph in the acceleration. Granted, it's not like I was expecting to have turbo charger type results, just maybe more "open" acceleration, and I got what I expected.

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate you all!! Love this community!
Old 03-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

Glad it worked out for you. I few choice parts and a tune and you have a little speed demon.
And good luck getting that IOM ZL1.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Old 03-13-2021, 01:07 AM   #12
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneShotFPV View Post
So, just wanted to post an update. As recommended, I just drove it all week, and honestly I took the "drive it like you stole it" advice VERY seriously lol I stayed mostly aggressive within reason as I could, and it drives .ore like I expected it would, and similar / better than it did before removing the negative battery terminal and Installing the Cold Air Intake system. It sounds deeper, and really seems to have a little more oomph in the acceleration. Granted, it's not like I was expecting to have turbo charger type results, just maybe more "open" acceleration, and I got what I expected.

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate you all!! Love this community!
Glad to hear and glad to help!!! Yes, I love the rumble sound myself . You'll find that there's nothing but good people and beautiful cars on this forum.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:49 AM   #13
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Glad it worked out for you. I few choice parts and a tune and you have a little speed demon.
And good luck getting that IOM ZL1.
That should be " good luck keeping your license with an IOM ZL1"

Man what a eye magnet for the cops

But they sure are pretty
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #14
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
That should be " good luck keeping your license with an IOM ZL1"

Man what a eye magnet for the cops

But they sure are pretty
Ha! Good point.