Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Z28 bumper cover removal without fender flare removal

I start this thread but if I miss something or someone finds an easier or better way, then please add.
You want to remove your bumper covers but don’t want to remove the fender flares. Try this:
1: Jack up and either remove wheel or not. Follow all safety procedures with this step.
2: on front flares(3-7mm screws near lower area where it meets front splitter) (rear 1-T15 or T20 screw on bottom where meets lower black bumper cover at lower flare)
3: loosen inner fender liner(3-T20 screws and as many front lower 7mm screws to loosen up liner enough to work with)
4: now to remove the fender flare screws from bumper cover. Both bumper covers(front & rear) have 4 T15 screws per wheel. They are tedious to get to if wheel well liner is in the way but is possible, small tools and hands help here. I loosen the screws with tool then remove by hand when able.
5: at this point if there’s only thin 3M double side tape holding fender flare to bumper cover then it can be removed by plastic interior removal tool, careful not to scratch paint. You’ll get to where the bumper cover meets the metal car body/fender is where the structural part of the fender flare should be well bonded to the metal body/fender.
6: there are 2 lower clips and 2 upper hooks per flare, that are meant to be released in order to pull the flare away enough to remove bumper covers without removing completely removing the fender flares.
7: access the first lower clip from under flare(pictured with arrows, 1st is lower clip and 2nd is upper hook)and pushing up on clips(2 tabs to push per clip to release) while at the same time slightly pulling flare outward to get clip to release from clip mount. Now there’s a upper hook that only needs to lift up and slightly outward to get that unhooked. ((Caution: there’s most likely 3M tape still bonded to flare edge to body/fender so that will need to be debonded before or during the unhooking process))
8: the second set of lower clip and upper hook is about 6” further in and follow the same removal process if removing the first set is not enough to get the bumper cover off.
9: reinstallation will require new double sided tape which means removing the old stuff. It’s a pain but using a razor blade for the flare side, without cutting into the plastic. The body/fender side I used goo gone and scotchbrite pad as not to damage paint. It will slightly scuff clearcoat but that can be buffed shiny again. Then place the new 3M double side tape in the same position on the flare as where you removed the old. Using adhesive promoter and cleaning area is a must.
10: you can install the tape on the plastic flare side but leave the tear off on the body fender side but pull a little off so you can put the clips/hooks together then screws in, then slightly push fender flare to open gap and then pull the tape tear off then the flare will set where it needs to on the body/fender. Just continue around the flare, pulling the tape tear off. (The 4 screws won’t need to be completely tight as there is 1 guide pin on the fender flare that kind of keeps the flare in the correct position on the body/fender.
11: place pressure on flare for as long as the tape directions call for. Some say it grips initially but full adhesion is obtained in 24-48 hours.
12: install wheel well liner and wheel if it was removed.

This fender flare area also seems to be the trouble spot for debonding either initially or over time.
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
More pictures.
New fender flares: the red line on outer portion is the thin double sided tape from factory. If you look close, there are flat pads in the middle of the flare around perimeter. This is were the adhesive is applied that is the majority of holding power for these flares. You’ll see the adhesive strips on the other picture of the rear body panel.
How the rear body panel looks like with fender flare removed. The black is adhesive primer. Under the primer is the body color paint. I don’t think the factory put adhesive on the bumper cover area but only used the screws and thin double sided tape on the outer flare edge, to hold it in this area.
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
STICKY!
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Flubyux2

Drives: 2014 #036 summit white
Nice!
Good work. This is the next best thing to a video and I was curious how this had to be handled if I decide to restore/replace my headlights.
Flubyux2 is offline   Reply With Quote