Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
Towlie

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Tunes & HP Differences

So in my lurking through the L99 dyno section I started noticing something that has been mentioned a lot. There are huge differences in dyno numbers with cars that have virtually the same mods (I.H.E.). With that said, i understand dynos read different and tuners don't all use the same methods and input.
But my question more specifically is this, how can these cars with the same basic mods have a difference of 40-60whp. I have looked at a few posts in the dyno thread with cars that make 360whp and then another car with the same mods will make 412whp. That is way more than a air temp or DA thing, 60whp is like 5000' of altitude.

Second question is this, do the cam phaser tables for WOT get adjusted when doing a custom tune? I asked this of my tuner and he said no, but in trying to filter information before I asked him, I heard yes. Any responses would be appreciated, thanks a bunch.
Towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towlie View Post
That is way more than a air temp or DA thing, 60whp is like 5000' of altitude.
Denver's at 5,000'. I'm at like 500'.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Towlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Denver's at 5,000'. I'm at like 500'.
I lived in Albuquerque NM and it is 5000' up, my SS felt like a V6, I hated it. But it was relative because every other car suffered as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
A lot of shops and parts sell dyno numbers.

I tell guys, I dont care what the dyno numbers are, my scanner tells me when the car is done. Most owners are looking over my should while im calibrating and I enjoy explaining to them what all the lines and numbers mean on the scanner. It keeps you honest. Some cars just read a little higher or lower. Now the 60 WHP differance you stated is hopefully your comparing an automatic and a manual, because that's a large gap if your not.

The dyno reads the effects of what the my scanner (and calibration) are doing correctly or incorrect. For your car's safety, I trust my scanner data first.

Some shops lean a car out for a better dyno number. If im on the fence about making a car a hair leaner or a hair richer, I tend to hedge to the richer/safer side for the car. You wont notice the performance differance between 400 RWHP or 407 RWHP, but my scanner will. because the true is, after your dyno session, you still have to take the car on the street to determine if under actual vehicle load, will it tolerate the calibration. If it doesnt tolerate it and you have to make a slight change and went right back on the dyno, your dyno number would change.

Ive had plenty of cars come to me that "run fine" and "it put down
XXX RWHP on XXX dyno", but I put it on the dyno and it runs much lower. Then there's the pregnant pause moment lol.

Dont let dyno numbers keep you up at night, and ask the calibrator questions during the session to be informed. Know what your range should be even at elevation or sea level.

Here's a pet peev of mine that I see in dyno video's you guys post to keep in the back of your head during your dyno session. If your calibrator uses the brakes on your car to stop the dyno rollers after a WOT run rather than the brakes on the dyno, he's more interested about saving his equipment than yours.

Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Towlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
A lot of shops and parts sell dyno numbers.

I tell guys, I dont care what the dyno numbers are, my scanner tells me when the car is done. Most owners are looking over my should while im calibrating and I enjoy explaining to them what all the lines and numbers mean on the scanner. It keeps you honest. Some cars just read a little higher or lower. Now the 60 WHP differance you stated is hopefully your comparing an automatic and a manual, because that's a large gap if your not.

The dyno reads the effects of what the my scanner (and calibration) are doing correctly or incorrect. For your car's safety, I trust my scanner data first.

Some shops lean a car out for a better dyno number. If im on the fence about making a car a hair leaner or a hair richer, I tend to hedge to the richer/safer side for the car. You wont notice the performance differance between 400 RWHP or 407 RWHP, but my scanner will. because the true is, after your dyno session, you still have to take the car on the street to determine if under actual vehicle load, will it tolerate the calibration. If it doesnt tolerate it and you have to make a slight change and went right back on the dyno, your dyno number would change.

Ive had plenty of cars come to me that "run fine" and "it put down
XXX RWHP on XXX dyno", but I put it on the dyno and it runs much lower. Then there's the pregnant pause moment lol.

Dont let dyno numbers keep you up at night, and ask the calibrator questions during the session to be informed. Know what your range should be even at elevation or sea level.

Here's a pet peev of mine that I see in dyno video's you guys post to keep in the back of your head during your dyno session. If your calibrator uses the brakes on your car to stop the dyno rollers after a WOT run rather than the brakes on the dyno, he's more interested about saving his equipment than yours.

Phil
Excellent and thank you for the response. I am definitely not a numbers guy, the cars I was referring to are all in the L99 Dyno thread. I was just curious as to what could be happing with these cars to make such a wide variance in results. I've seen one person with 359whp and 360tq, yet I've see a member here in the forum with 412whp and 407tq on bolt ons. Ill try to locate that members screen name.

low figures post #555
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=36676&page=22
Old 10-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
For the L99, 359 RWHP is a little lower than Id like to see with bolt ons. I cant blame it on his combo because I've made 380 RWHP with stainless headers. They are a quality system that flow well.

412 RWHP is high for the L99. That's the manual range

Some guys do their pulls in 3rd gear and some do them in 4th gear.

Some guys show SAE rated numbers. Some show STD.

Some guy use smoothing factor of 5 on the dyno, and when I see a lower smoothing factor (3-4), I question it to myself because its picking up a peak bump not a smooth average.

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towlie View Post
Excellent and thank you for the response. I am definitely not a numbers guy, the cars I was referring to are all in the L99 Dyno thread. I was just curious as to what could be happing with these cars to make such a wide variance in results. I've seen one person with 359whp and 360tq, yet I've see a member here in the forum with 412whp and 407tq on bolt ons. Ill try to locate that members screen name.

low figures post #555
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=36676&page=22
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Towlie

Understood and thanks. I know there are a butt ton of factors to a end power figure and I see exactly what you are saying about the correction and smoothing.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Towlie

found it, post #462
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=36676&page=19