Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #29
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Glasspacks....gotta love 'em....simple, little back pressure, but damn loud. Had some Thrush on my '69 383 Roadrunner. Personally I liked the deep sound of running them with no tailpipes. Suppose designs today have progressed way beyong fiberglass, so this decision's gonna take some listening at LS1 Sounds.
Good luck with the restore! I'm more than a bit envious....and, hey, a classic muscle car needs a classic exhaust - go with the Cherry Bombs!!!!!
The car was a 383 car originally, prior owner dropped in a 440. Blue Fire Metallic, 4 speed. Oh and identical to the car my dad bought new in 69.

Hey its his car, he wants cherry bombs, i'll put cherry bombs on it. Sounded like a top fuel car 4 years ago (last time it actually ran). Just finished dropping the motor back in a month ago, done for the winter....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #30
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I have borlas but have fell in love with magnaflows, and thats the first mod I'm doing when I get my chally

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #31
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
i havn't delt with exhaust modding a whole lot, but on my 540i i deleted both resonators and added a magnaflow - all i can say is that the germans went through a lot of trouble making it quite, and that magnaflow really helps the V-8 tone out

i can only imagine what they could do for an american muscle car !
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #32
ron8879

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
I am leaning towards magna flow, or borla as a second pic. I think corsa sound too ricey to me and I worked at a harley shop and had nothing but problems with fit and finish with bassani. I am looking for a low muscular sound, not neccisarily loud. With all this said, I am interested in hearing the final finished exhaust sounds for the 6 and 8 stock. They did put a ton of research into the exhaust sound, so maybe it might be really nice sounding.
ron8879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #33
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
At least on a lot of cars I've heard that had mostly stock exhaust (i.e. manifolds, cats', OEM piping) they just sounded really crappy as the RPMs went up. That could be different with this car, and once you start throwing mods' on it, but the drone I've had with the ones I've run just wasn't cool. They were only enjoyable when I wanted to be loud, just because I wanted to at that time.
Flowmaster catbacks..... for some reason suck balls on 4th gen f-bodys. nasty, raspy tone and actually proven that they dont give the same hp gains as other catbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I have borlas but have fell in love with magnaflows, and thats the first mod I'm doing when I get my camaro

fixed.

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.

Last edited by CamaroSpike23; 12-03-2008 at 11:08 AM.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #34
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron8879 View Post
I am leaning towards magna flow, or borla as a second pic. I think corsa sound too ricey to me and I worked at a harley shop and had nothing but problems with fit and finish with bassani. I am looking for a low muscular sound, not neccisarily loud. With all this said, I am interested in hearing the final finished exhaust sounds for the 6 and 8 stock. They did put a ton of research into the exhaust sound, so maybe it might be really nice sounding.
If you want the deep, low, note I think you'll be happy with MagnaFlow
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #35
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron8879 View Post
Good point. They did put a lot of research into the stock sound - Fourier Transform and all. With a little luck, we may just like the stock pipe's sound good enough we can all save some money. But I'd also really like to hear the LPO performance exhaust before deciding. Don't know how that's going to be possible!?!

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto - ordered 10/18/08 - Polished Aluminums added 12/1/08
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #36
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
One word of caution for those of us that have ordered the automatic transmission, wait a while before making a decision on which exhaust to put in if you are looking to do this mod. The A/T model cuts to 4 cylinders in certain situations, I had a Chrysler 300C that did the same thing. This becomes a challenge to exhaust manufacturers as when it goes into the 4 cylinder mode a slight "drone" is created, a sort of a low level hum. Stock systems take this into consideration and keeps the drone to a minimum. If you put certain systems in the low level drone becomes an unbearably loud hum when it kicks into 4 cylinder. There were several exhaust systems that were created for the 300 that addressed that issue so hopefully they will replicate it for the camaro. Some 300C owners just put in long tubes and were satisfied with the results.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #37
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Camarospike, whats up with the wiggly exhaust that makes it sound so much better? Does it ever pop open on the road?

EDIT: Ok now I get it, automatic/manual cutout. Very clever.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #38
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Flowmaster catbacks..... for some reason suck balls on 4th gen f-bodys. nasty, raspy tone and actually proven that they dont give the same hp gains as other catbacks.
I think it's that crossflow that jacks everything up. If you were to install a standard single in single/dual out, that would be different, but I've just always heard this really whispy sound that was always crappy to my ear. It wasn't a good tone at all.

Regarding the AFM on the autos' making drone - I wonder if the GMPP catback will take care of that. It's stated it meets all noise requirements and such. I say go for the off-road catback instead

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #39
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanakattack View Post
One word of caution for those of us that have ordered the automatic transmission, wait a while before making a decision on which exhaust to put in if you are looking to do this mod. The A/T model cuts to 4 cylinders in certain situations, I had a Chrysler 300C that did the same thing. This becomes a challenge to exhaust manufacturers as when it goes into the 4 cylinder mode a slight "drone" is created, a sort of a low level hum. Stock systems take this into consideration and keeps the drone to a minimum. If you put certain systems in the low level drone becomes an unbearably loud hum when it kicks into 4 cylinder. There were several exhaust systems that were created for the 300 that addressed that issue so hopefully they will replicate it for the camaro. Some 300C owners just put in long tubes and were satisfied with the results.
GM has been working on the exhaust for the L99 for quite some time now to make sure it is the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Camarospike, whats up with the wiggly exhaust that makes it sound so much better? Does it ever pop open on the road?

EDIT: Ok now I get it, automatic/manual cutout. Very clever.
yeah.... cutout... im going to pickup my new electric motor for my cutout this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think it's that crossflow that jacks everything up. If you were to install a standard single in single/dual out, that would be different, but I've just always heard this really whispy sound that was always crappy to my ear. It wasn't a good tone at all.

Regarding the AFM on the autos' making drone - I wonder if the GMPP catback will take care of that. It's stated it meets all noise requirements and such. I say go for the off-road catback instead

yeah, I've seen true dual setups with dual mufflers that sound decent, but the catback systems as a whole from flowmaster suck ass
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #40
tsg1391

Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
do you think it would be too crazy to tune out afm to add a loud exhaust? i plan on doing that if it doesnt completely kill gas mileage(which i dont think it will)
tsg1391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #41
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg1391 View Post
do you think it would be too crazy to tune out afm to add a loud exhaust? i plan on doing that if it doesnt completely kill gas mileage(which i dont think it will)
well, just tuning it out will only make a difference when it would normally go to 4cyl mode as far as the sound goes.

with the AFM system in the car you have a different lifter setup and a slightly different cam grind, which.... if you dont care for afm in the car at all, you might as well swap to the hot cam and swap the lifters out as well.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #42
tsg1391

Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
i was planning on doing that also, i dont want to have to have a quiet exhaust to cover up the afm, i would just rather not have it
tsg1391 is offline   Reply With Quote