Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #15
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
I believe it is the gas pumps you are using. Pumps vary even at the same station. Here is what I do when I fill up.

1. Take note of your fuel gauge and estimate about how many gallons it will take to fill the tank. If your gauge says half full, then it would take about 9.5 gallons to top off a 19 gallon tank. If the pump shuts off prematurely at 2 or 3 gallons, then you know it is safe to pump more gas.

2. Try different pumps at the same station until you find one that works properly with your car.

3. LOOK at the fuel nozzle before you shove it into a capless fuel filler. If you see something is wrong with it as in the pictures below, DON'T use that pump or the nozzle could get stuck in your fuel filler neck.
Attached Images

wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
That's interesting about observing the nozzle, honestly, I don't know that I've ever paid much attention to the differences.

Previous suggestion of trying to the slower setting, yeah, that may also be worth a try.
Thanks all!
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Same here, never paid attention to the nozzle. Good info!!
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #18
clrkmr

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
I have/had 2 suburbans (2010 and 2015 - both with gas caps) and my camaro (2017 - no gas cap). All 3 cars have this issue at the same gas stations. I believe it to be a GM/Gas station issue. My son has a mustang and wife a BMW and those cars don't have the same issue. They work at all gas stations even the ones that our GM cars don't work at. But all of our GM cars have the issue. They either work or don't work depending on the gas station and it is very consistent to not work at the gas stations that it doesn't work at.

Holding the nozzle up and tight against the car seems to "fix" the issue and allow you to fill up the tank. But you have to hold it the entire time.

In general it does seem to not work at independent gas stations and does seem to work better at Chevron/Shell/etc...

I'm sure it has something to do with the pumps/nozzles (as others have mentions), but there also seems to be something about GM cars and their design too that doesn't work with these pumps/nozzles.
clrkmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #19
Rayfield

Good feedback, thanks! It's nice not to be alone in this, lol...
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #20
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfield View Post
Good feedback, thanks! It's nice not to be alone in this, lol...
I had this issue when I first got my '16 SS. When putting the nozzle in, make sure it's going in so that the handle is as low as possible. I was inserting at a slightly up-tilted angle and it was shutting off every 5 seconds. If you do this correctly, you don't have to push hard at all or hold it in. Never had a problem since.

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
harrist5683

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 A10
If you insert the nozzle as I mentioned above, you don't have to check the nozzle type or dance around trying to force the nozzle in your car. It's 2018, I would get rid of my car if I had to do all of that lol.

Mod List:
Corsa Extreme Axle-Back | Borla X-Pipe (#60607) | Roto-Fab CAI | GM Dark Tail Lamps | GM Dark Third Brake Lamp | DD Dark Side Markers | GM CF Fuel Door | Rear Reflector Blackout Kit | Xpel Clear Bra | Modesta BC-08 Ceramic Coat
harrist5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #22
Rayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrist5683 View Post
If you insert the nozzle as I mentioned above, you don't have to check the nozzle type or dance around trying to force the nozzle in your car. It's 2018, I would get rid of my car if I had to do all of that lol.
Ha, I like the sound of that. Plus you really don't to see me dancing...
Old 04-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #23
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrist5683 View Post
I had this issue when I first got my '16 SS. When putting the nozzle in, make sure it's going in so that the handle is as low as possible. I was inserting at a slightly up-tilted angle and it was shutting off every 5 seconds. If you do this correctly, you don't have to push hard at all or hold it in. Never had a problem since.
I do the same thing. Never had a problem.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #24
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Likewise. I always run mine all the way down and it typically pops off at ~18 gallons.

One time I pushed it so I could get to the station near my house and ended up getting 19 gallons into it. Pretty amazing since it's rates capacity is 19 gallons so I took a picture. I couldn't have gone any further
I'd have to question whether their pumps were accurate if your low fuel light wasn't on for a while. We've had several stations in our area busted for their pumps shorting people gas.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #25
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Had my 17 SS 1LE for almost 18 months, never an issue filling up and I also cram in as much as I can. From the 1st time the pump clicks off I usually get another 1 to 1.5 gallons of gas in the tank.

I dont let mine get much below half before I fill up.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 AM   #26
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Had this issue multiple times on my Z06.

I found that turning it upside down seemed to offer more success, no idea why

It was annoying as heck mind you and I also looked a bit silly doing that....
Old 04-25-2018, 02:40 AM   #27
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm a petroleum technician and I work on gas pumps daily.

Chances are is it's either a really sensitive nozzle or possibly the fuel is pumping really fast, thus causing it to bubble up the fill neck and activating the auto-shutoff.

If it's pumping really fast (like 9-10 GPM) I'd move the handle hold latch to the middle notch.

If it's just touchy nozzles you can try swinging them up at a 45 degree angle while pumping and it seems to help. I have to do this in my Dodge Promaster work truck to make sure it fills the tank to full.

Another thing you can try is only shove the spout in about halfway. I've had better luck doing that with nozzles clicking off early than shoving it in even farther.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
Rayfield

Thanks, this gives me something to try!