Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #29
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
I ended up taking an open breather and built a large Pcv valve into it. It will let air out but not in. Any breather that lets any air in is a vacuum leak, metered or not. Your tune may or may not be able to compensate for it, but either way it isn't right. Needs tuned for, or better yet, find a way like I did to let air out but not in so there is no vacuum leak. Getting it to work without throwing codes and getting it right are 2 totally different things.

Is your AFM turned off in that canned tune? If not, that might make the lean wideband readings.

10.5 at WOT is rich but most canned tunes are, for any car not just ours. But by you telling us this it would appear your wideband is pretty accurate.
For as expensive as the gauges were they better be accurate. Haha. ADM makes good stuff. They do fluctuate a lot while cruising. Anywhere from 16 - 20. But mainly 17 - 19. Not sure if being behind the Cats is causing this. I don't know if the AFM its turned off. I have the SCT handheld and not sure how to check and see.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
17 to 19 while on the gas is lean. 10.5 is rich. The breather helps keep oil out of your throttle body. With the amount of mods you have I would defiantly get a custom tune and keep the breather on.

Oops My bad it will keep oil out your catch can. I don't have one yet so it ends up in my throttle body.
Not sure what books your reading but 17 to 19 is indicating a seroius problem. I have never even seen a wideband read that when I was puposely trying to lean out for power under boost!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
08G8V8

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8GT
My NGK AFX wideband reads between 9.0 and 16.0. When letting off the throttle, when reading full air, it will read 16.0 or AIR. But with the foot on the throttle, even lightly, it won't read 16.0.

Are you seeing these values when letting off of the throttle?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #32
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
I'm surprised I didn't get the deadly " do a search buddy". Reading about oil separators now. I know about them. I don't know about vacuum. How much is normal ? I'm getting 10 at idle and as much as 20 driving normal. Like I said before going back to shop next week just doing my homework.
Your vacuum sounds normal. These crankcase evac systems can be tricky. You don't want full vacuum in the crankcase but you need some. Most do a metered breather so crankcase vac doesnt get too high, will work ok with a custom tune.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #33
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Everyone should read this thread and contact Tracy with any questions, he has all the answers and his RX Catch Can & Breather Caps are the best on the market.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102582

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
Not sure what books your reading but 17 to 19 is indicating a seroius problem. I have never even seen a wideband read that when I was puposely trying to lean out for power under boost!
yeah lean is bad .. i didnt think i needed to spell that out .. lol
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
Your vacuum sounds normal. These crankcase evac systems can be tricky. You don't want full vacuum in the crankcase but you need some. Most do a metered breather so crankcase vac doesnt get too high, will work ok with a custom tune.

thanks.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Kronix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall651 View Post
For as expensive as the gauges were they better be accurate. Haha. ADM makes good stuff. They do fluctuate a lot while cruising. Anywhere from 16 - 20. But mainly 17 - 19. Not sure if being behind the Cats is causing this. I don't know if the AFM its turned off. I have the SCT handheld and not sure how to check and see.
J, you can't change the AFR with the SCT handheld. I wasted the money on the SLP warranty, but then decided I wanted more power, and with their warranty you can't shit to your car. As long as you have a quality tuner & use quality parts, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm now over 700 rwhp, and drivability is awesome, and I made sure everything was strengthened to handle the power. Adding a McLoed RXT clutch & 1400 hp axles, coupled with everything else I've done, it's pretty bulletproof. The key is a great tuner! the SLP box tune is average at best.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #37
JHall651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
J, you can't change the AFR with the SCT handheld. I wasted the money on the SLP warranty, but then decided I wanted more power, and with their warranty you can't shit to your car. As long as you have a quality tuner & use quality parts, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm now over 700 rwhp, and drivability is awesome, and I made sure everything was strengthened to handle the power. Adding a McLoed RXT clutch & 1400 hp axles, coupled with everything else I've done, it's pretty bulletproof. The key is a great tuner! the SLP box tune is average at best.
Hey Kronix. 700hp! I hate you No but for real I'm starting to think its not average, but dangerous. Unless ADM sold me bad gauges and sensor I constantly cruise at 17-19 afr. Would I be able to take my car to a tuner and have them run like a diagnostic on the car during a dyno to verify these afr's? This is starting to worry me. I haven't gotten a CEL yet since I removed breather but the numbers on AFR are still the same.
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
Old 04-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #38
08G8V8

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8GT
Yes, you could put the car on a dyno and have them use their wideband in your tailpipe to verify what you are getting on your wideband is accurate, or if you sensor is bad.

Is your wideband supposed to be re-calibrated? Maybe it needs to be?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #39
Kronix

Quote:
Hey Kronix. 700hp! I hate you No but for real I'm starting to think its not average, but dangerous. Unless ADM sold me bad gauges and sensor I constantly cruise at 17-19 afr. Would I be able to take my car to a tuner and have them run like a diagnostic on the car during a dyno to verify these afr's? This is starting to worry me. I haven't gotten a CEL yet since I removed breather but the numbers on AFR are still the same.
J, I know for a fact the SCT handheld will tell you if you're running lean or rich, as long as it's throwing a code. If it's not throwing a code then you may have faulty gauges. Are you throwing any CELs? If not, i'd look at the gauge first, then bring it to a tuner with a dyno, or even just a laptop, he'll tell you what's going on. Smell anything out of the norm?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #40
JHall651

Quote:
J, I know for a fact the SCT handheld will tell you if you're running lean or rich, as long as it's throwing a code. If it's not throwing a code then you may have faulty gauges. Are you throwing any CELs? If not, i'd look at the gauge first, then bring it to a tuner with a dyno, or even just a laptop, he'll tell you what's going on. Smell anything out of the norm?
Yes I have been throwing P0171 and P0174 which is Lean fuel trim bank 1 and 2. I talked to Tracy at RX and he told me that it could be the breather and to remove it. He said that canned tunes don't always like the breathers. I have not gotten another CEL sense but even when I had the breather installed sometimes it would take days for the CELs to come back. The weirdest thing is I had S/C and RX installed at same time and never threw a CEL for approx 2000 miles. Didn't start throwing them until I emptied can for first time. And yes I 110% closed it good and tight with stem all the way out.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #41
Kronix

Quote:
Yes I have been throwing P0171 and P0174 which is Lean fuel trim bank 1 and 2. I talked to Tracy at RX and he told me that it could be the breather and to remove it. He said that canned tunes don't always like the breathers. I have not gotten another CEL sense but even when I had the breather installed sometimes it would take days for the CELs to come back. The weirdest thing is I had S/C and RX installed at same time and never threw a CEL for approx 2000 miles. Didn't start throwing them until I emptied can for first time. And yes I 110% closed it good and tight with stem all the way out.
J, my car did the exact same thing and I also had the RX breather on there. But still did it after replacing it with the regular cap. It really didn't get fixed until I got rid of the SLP tune, but I had to because I added Kooks LTs, OD Cog Drive, smaller pulley, the cam, etc... That's why I really recommend just getting the best tuner in the area and doing whatever mods you want and forget about the SLP warranty. There's so much fine print in that contract it's a joke. That's why I said F**K It and built a beast and I couldn't be happier!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #42
JHall651

Quote:
J, my car did the exact same thing and I also had the RX breather on there. But still did it after replacing it with the regular cap. It really didn't get fixed until I got rid of the SLP tune, but I had to because I added Kooks LTs, OD Cog Drive, smaller pulley, the cam, etc... That's why I really recommend just getting the best tuner in the area and doing whatever mods you want and forget about the SLP warranty. There's so much fine print in that contract it's a joke. That's why I said F**K It and built a beast and I couldn't be happier!
So yours did the same thing before you installed the headers, and everything else?