Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
When I was 15, I learned on my mom's CTS-V. It was the only automatic car that we had. I learned stick on a Cobalt. The V still scares me.
Same here...my dad got me a shirt that says "weapons grade torque" with a jet engine by his car
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #30
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
There is a kid with a Challenger V6. I seriously doubt he's ever washed the thing. He gets a bunch of kids in it and they do drugs on the way home from school. I just know he's going to total that car before we (sophomores) graduate.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #31
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Let's think about all the classic muscle car guys who bought their first car early, maybe with help from family, and ended up driving something really powerful. Today, we don't seem to give the young guys the same credit. Back there, there were no nannies to help control that power, either.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #32
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
These V6 are no joke at all. Im 19 never had a speeding ticket or been in an accident. I have always driven powerful cars from my camaro, to a corvette, to a Few SS, and many others. In my opinion I feel like driving a Manual car has made me a better drive since you have to a be a little more aware of your surroundings and plan accordingly
They're not a whole bunch of power for the weight is what I was getting at, whereas I think an SS would definitely be too much for a beginning driver...
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
like others have said, it all depends on the kid - how they were raised and how much responsibility is placed upon them. i grew up on a farm & was driving manual V8s and tractors and even pulling trailers when i was 11. when it came time for me to get a license & a vehicle, it was on my own dime... gas & insurance, too. even though my car was a piece of crap hot-wheels-size heap, i still took the best care of it i could because it was mine & all i had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
I'm 16 and didn't get a Camaro because insurance would've been way too much.
A friend of mine wrecked his 2000 Mercury Cougar V6. That's not a powerful car. Anyone can wreck anything. To me, it seems like kids with the cars that aren't as fast are the ones who try to drive fast. After school Friday, a kid with a early 2000's Silverado did a burnout onto the street driving away from my school. Just today, I was going to my dealership to get oil filters and at a stoplight, a teenager with an old Hyundai was trying to race me. I didn't race or rev at all. He still did a burnout when the light turned green.
i call
nobody does burnouts in Hyundais

i know, i know - they actually make cars that're worth something nowadays.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post

i call
nobody does burnouts in Hyundais

It was more of a tire squeal. I actually thought it was funny. I could've EASILY just given it more gas and caught up to him.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's think about all the classic muscle car guys who bought their first car early, maybe with help from family, and ended up driving something really powerful. Today, we don't seem to give the young guys the same credit. Back there, there were no nannies to help control that power, either.
These cars were originally marketed for a young generation. That obviously changed a bit with rising prices, but it still can hold true.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #36
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
I've told my story plenty of times on Camaro5 so I won't repeat myself again. But basically I'm an 18 year old (was 17 when I got the car) with a Camaro who drives very responsibly. I like to joke around a lot like most people my age but I know not to do so behind the wheel.

Now I will admit that there are probably a few more young drivers that are reckless than older ones. But there are also good young/teenage drivers like myself and some others on the site, AND IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT TYPE OF CAR YOU DRIVE. Almost everyone else in my grade street races except for me, and I have the fastest and sportiest car by a LONGSHOT.
Nate GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #37
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
It's not a powerful car that causes car wrecks, reckless drivers cause car accidents. 3 years ago a close friend of mine was killed in a car accident when she was 16. She was the passenger, riding in a older volkswagon Jetta. The driver lost control, and my friend was killed. A jetta is by no means a powerful car, but my friend was killed in one. I'm 19 now, drive a powerful car, and have had no accidents. unfortunately part of that is because I learned the hard way that speeding is nothing to take lightly, but either way I'm a safe driver no matter what car I drive. A reckless driver will be reckless whether they are driving a 150hp car or a 350hp car. Unfortunately it is the bad drivers, the spoiled kids, and the idiots who are reckless behind the wheel that create the bad rep for every responsible teenager out there.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #38
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
you drive what you can....16 with a new camaro..bought buy your parents..sorry im not impressed....not bashing ...earn what you drive..i did
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #39
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Anyone who says that is just bitter or jealous. It's exactly like a gun, if you learn to respect what it is capable of, you'll be just fine.

My first car when I was 15 was a low 12 second car. Think that is too much to handle? What if I told you it was made in 1966 and lacked MANY modern safety features. I knew exactly how to respect that car and to keep myself from getting in situations that could be fatal.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #40
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
Anyone who says that is just bitter or jealous. It's exactly like a gun, if you learn to respect what it is capable of, you'll be just fine.

My first car when I was 15 was a low 12 second car. Think that is too much to handle? What if I told you it was made in 1966 and lacked MANY modern safety features. I knew exactly how to respect that car and to keep myself from getting in situations that could be fatal.
Not bashing, just playing devil's advocate here. But you're telling me you never once showed off for your buddy's or a girl. Never once had a close call that made you think "now what the **** was I thinking?" Because you started that 12 second car for the first time and went - shit, I need to respect this thing. Right?

I'm not jealous, bitter, or whatever other synonyms for crotchety you want to you I just know that respect isn't just given - it is earned.

If respect was just given out, and using the military here, why is it that when someone who's done three tours, has a Purple Heart etc. chimes in about the dangers of a mission everyone listens.

Now I know that people and cars can't really be compared, but it's the best analogy I've got right now.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #41
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Not bashing, just playing devil's advocate here. But you're telling me you never once showed off for your buddy's or a girl. Never once had a close call that made you think "now what the **** was I thinking?" Because you started that 12 second car for the first time and went - shit, I need to respect this thing. Right?

I'm not jealous, bitter, or whatever other synonyms for crotchety you want to you I just know that respect isn't just given - it is earned.

If respect was just given out, and using the military here, why is it that when someone who's done three tours, has a Purple Heart etc. chimes in about the dangers of a mission everyone listens.

Now I know that people and cars can't really be compared, but it's the best analogy I've got right now.
Well said. I for one have defiantly earned my car's respect. Hydroplaned it once going 40 mph. Went completely sideways but I was still able to regain control of the car thanks to stabilitrac.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #42
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
It's not the age of the driver that's the problem.

It's the extremely jacked up licensing system we use in America that's the real problem. The standards for acquiring a driver's license are so out-dated and simple that the skill of the average American driver is frighteningly poor. Not to mention that once you're given that license, there's literally nothing in place to ensure drivers retain the necessary knowledge to operate a motor vehicle in a safe fashion.

There needs to be a system where every driver must complete a driving instruction course every three or four years to retain their driver's license. This course should be a weekend-long course that covers everything about driving a car, including a comprehensive driving test.

It is a priviledge to drive a car on public roadways, not a right.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote