Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #29
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
I'm an Android guy but I was looking to get an iPad2 mostly because the Android tablet game isn't up to snuff yet for me. This car mounting thing is another reason why I may jump on the ipad2 wagon. Great find!
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #30
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
I'm a "pro-Apple" guy but not a fanboi.

I've seen both sides of it.
The people that hate everything Apple just do it because it's "cool" to do it. Why do you hate on Apple? Is it because they basically revolutionize with each NEW recent product they bring out? (I'm not talking about v2.0s or newer...I'm talking about the v1.0.)

iPod. Yes, the mp3 player was around...but the mp3/portable music harddrive didn't kick into high gear until the iPod was launched. How many portable CD players are being sold?

iPhone. Yes, there were smartphones prior to the iPhone's launch. But how many full touchscreens? Also, how many "non-business" type people had a smartphone? Now the majority of people do. (Aside from the "non-tech-savvy" crowd).

iPad. Sure, it had it's shortcomings...but again...it was the first one on the market that really put them into the hands of the public. There may have been tablets prior, but nobody ran out or clamored for them.

You have the right to hate on Apple all you want, but you can't deny the impact the company has had on the general population and the tech-world. They are the cutting edge.

That being said, do I think they always have the best products? No. Do I think Apple is the end-all-be-all? No. Do I own an iMac? Yes. Do I own a PC? Yes.

I've done some comparison (still haven't decided on the Xoom or the iPad2 yet) tests and they both have their downfalls. Still, for what I (me personally) want/need...the iPad2 delivers more (even though the Xoom has better hardware...and a better tablet OS).

The biggest downfalls the Xoom has for me are:
1. No Netflix (I'm using this for travel...this is huge for me)
2. Apps (The apps are just the apps for the Android phone...scaled up to fit the screen. No apps have been written specifically for the Xoom (this is changing though).
3. Web Surfing (I don't consider the tablet to be a mobile unit...so why do a LOT of webpages open up the mobile versions of them? The iPad2 opens the full versions of the same websites)
4. Video on the web. (Certain websites won't play videos...(like CNN for instance...but they'll play on the iPad2).
5. Price. Sorry, but I don't want to pay $100 more AND be locked into a contract.
6. Battery Life. Again, I'll be using this for travel...and the longer the battery life, the better.

It excels here:
1. Flash is coming (this is a big one...but rumor has it that Adobe is working with Apple to come up with something that will convert the Flash videos into a different format)
2. Search is great.
3. The OS is better than the iPads.
4. Cameras are better
5. Video Conferencing can be done with anyone that has a webcam and a gmail account.
6. Multitasking is slicker too...

They're both great products...but they each have their downfalls. To go through life with blinders on seems silly but to each their own.

Give them both a shot and decide for yourself. I did...and I STILL haven't officially made up my mind yet.
+1 great words my friend
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #31
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
nice pics, now if ipad2 will huryup and get here.

How strong are those magnets? Ive seen people stick there ipads on there fridge, holding it in mid air etc and now on the dash of camaro. I guess i have to wait and see for myself how strong they really are.

The first thing i wonder whenever putting anything in the car is how will it hold up in an accident. Are the magnets that strong?

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #32
Dmundz

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2SS/RS
Damn looks like I will be getting iPad2 soon as they are available here in Canada seems like and easier way then spending a bunch to install a new head unit
Dmundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #33
RocTrux

Drives: Summit White 2011 2SS/RS
Once you go Mac you don't go back !!!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #34
CruiseControl

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
The first thing i wonder whenever putting anything in the car is how will it hold up in an accident. Are the magnets that strong?
Let me preface by saying I don't yet own an iPad 2, but would safely wager to guess it would be DEMOLISHED in an accident, possibly taking a side window/and or head with it.

I am curious how it would hold up with some 'inspired' cornering or acceleration.
CruiseControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #35
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
nice pics, now if ipad2 will huryup and get here.

How strong are those magnets? Ive seen people stick there ipads on there fridge, holding it in mid air etc and now on the dash of camaro. I guess i have to wait and see for myself how strong they really are.

I do not know how it will hold up in a accident, but I will say it holds well during tight fast turns.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #36
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
They're both great products...but they each have their downfalls. To go through life with blinders on seems silly but to each their own.

Give them both a shot and decide for yourself. I did...and I STILL haven't officially made up my mind yet.
I have used both(for about a month each) and I have made up my mind. Hating Apple is a "cool" thing to do? I wouldn't have guessed that by seeing the number of people in long lines just to say they are one of the first ones with a new iPhone or iPad... Apple may be the ones on the forefront, but IMHO, I like the freedom of not being tied down with just using apples OS and the ease of use is better on Android to me. The Android OS has alot more potential TO ME and the Android maket is growing at a faster rate then the app store. Like you said, to each their own, so why is it that if I like products other then Apples, you think I am going through life with blinders on? Isn't that kind of hypocritical?

In my opinion Zune>Ipod, Android phone>iPhone, Android tablets>iPad.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #37
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #38
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
It handles during tight turns but how about bumps etc in the road? I'm afraid if I hit a minor pothole or whatever is in the road it would knock it off into my shifter and break. I'd like to see a video if possible of it being used during a drive if possible.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #39
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
I have used both(for about a month each) and I have made up my mind. Hating Apple is a "cool" thing to do? I wouldn't have guessed that by seeing the number of people in long lines just to say they are one of the first ones with a new iPhone or iPad... Apple may be the ones on the forefront, but IMHO, I like the freedom of not being tied down with just using apples OS and the ease of use is better on Android to me. The Android OS has alot more potential TO ME and the Android maket is growing at a faster rate then the app store. Like you said, to each their own, so why is it that if I like products other then Apples, you think I am going through life with blinders on? Isn't that kind of hypocritical?

I think his main point was that your original statement was "I hate everything Apple". A lot of people just hate Apple to hate Apple w/o even using any of their products. I'm not a fanboy, I own a HP and have used Macs and find the experience on them much better then on my HP. I own an iPhone, and think its the best phone I've ever had (it does have some things that tick me off though), and as far as tablets go the only other tablet I would have given a shot to would be the BB Playbook and I dont like the Androids OS for some reason. Everyone has their own opinion on what they like/dislike but in all honesty he was correct in saying the "cool" thing to do is hate on Apple as many people do, most w/o even trying their products. Could the OS be a bit more open? Yes. Could they have done some things better on the phone and iPad? Yes. But I jailbreak so whatever they didnt do I will do myself.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #40
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post

Do they even make the Zune anymore?! I think M$ turns around anytime you mention Zune to them haha
Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #41
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart53 View Post
Do they even make the Zune anymore?! I think M$ turns around anytime you mention Zune to them haha
I love my Zune! plugs into my audio in on the car an BAM! I will also take my android OS over the "WTF is this" OS of the I-crap

Just my .02 my brother loves apple stuff...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #42
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
Quote:
Do they even make the Zune anymore?!
Actually they announced that last week. No more Zune.