Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
stt816,
I think we're basically in the same boat. I've got a 2010 SS that has never seen a day at the track (other than the parking lot to watch others), and I spend most of my miles just commuting to work with it.

After going through a ton of research and several messages/posts with these guys "in the know", I am leaning towards going with a Pedder's sway bar kit and Street Z bushing insert setup. I know the ZL sways are cheaper, but I don't necessarily want to go with the cheapest stuff if I know that a little more $ will get me a much better product. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on exactly what I'm getting (size of rear bar, end links, possible lowering springs), so I don't have any experience with this setup yet. I will post reviews once everything is finalized and installed.
Good choice.

Are staying with the FE3 setup or are going to upgrade to FE4?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
The ZL1 Bar comes in a 25mm front/28mm rear solid bar. The rear is the same as the 1LE.

I went with the 1LE bars for a few reasons. 27mm front, 28mm rear. These are solid bars, not hollow. They are also quite affordable and are a GM product, to some people that can be a plus.

Most aftermarket companies sell you a front that is the same size as the 1LE (and rightly so, they designed and produced it before the 1LE came about, smh at GM for copying aftermarket). The aftermarket fronts are generally 27mm, adjustable, and either hollow or solid.

As for the rear, a 28mm solid bar is a damn good improvement compared to stock SS as well. It's not extreme, but it is an improvement. You will find a larger bar than this in the aftermarket, typically 32mm and adjustable. I believe this 1mm to 5 mm difference, as well as adjustability, is what will be the big difference in how much you wish to control understeer vs. oversteer. Aftermarket gives this to you.

So if cost is a big function of your purchase, I suggest looking at ZL1 or 1LE as viable upgrades. If performance plays a more important role than cost, then definitely look to the aftermarket then.

I have yet to go to the track with my car and it's 1LE bars, still hoping to make a few more improvements first. Good luck with your decision.
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Moving from what you have to the ZL1 OE bars is a HUGE gain. Moving from ZL1 bars to Pedders bars is another HUGE gain. For a recreational driver on the street, the ZL1 bars will have you cornering at speeds that exceed traffic laws. Based on that, the answer is no.
This works for me, no track time, just want a better daily drive.

Since Im not going to be hitting curves at 100 MPH I should still feel the "its on rails" effect with ZL1 bars under normal daily drive conditions correct? meaning if I hit a curve rated at 35MPH at say 40MPH, its still going to hugg right?

Last edited by Rhyder; 10-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
So all i would need for this to work is:

1LE Front Sway Bar - 22812946

1LE Rear Sway Bar - 22786260

Nothing else such as end links or things like that? Also where is the best place to get these. I see them on GMpartsgiant for $250.00 shipped.
Pfadt Race Engineering 1.25" Lowering Springs| Pfadt Spec Performance Street Alignment|ZL1 Front Bumper Conversion|ZL1 20x9 Rims|Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus 275/40R20Y Square Setup||Footwell Lighting|G2 Gold Painted Brake Calipers
Stainless Power Long Tube Headers|Cold Air Inductions Cold Air Intake|VMAX CNC Spiral Ported Throttle Body|Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback| Vitesse Throttle Controller
--Jannetty Racing Enterprises Dyno Tuned|408 RWHP
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
dcplus14

You should also buy 4 of these:
1LE Rear Sway Bar Bracket Bolt (4) - 11518623

I guess the 4 that are in there currently are Torque To Yield bolts, so I guess once removed they must be replaced.

As far as endlinks. The 2012 SS FE4 Endlinks are the same as those in the ZL1 and 1LE. They should suffice, although I am sure some others can chime in on whether or not upgrading to aftermarked there is worth it.

In regards to where to buy it, call up your dealer and see what quote they can get you for the parts shipped, else places like gmpartsgiant or gmpartsdirect would work.
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Use the ZL1 front bar UNLESS you are running a square tire setup. The ONLY reason the front bar is larger on the 1LE is to induce factory acceptable safe UNDERSTEER. The square tire setup REDUCES understeer. Manufacturers like GM, Ford, Chrysler and 99.9% of the rest build cars with understeer for safety reasons. The ZL1 front bar will be the BEST setup for most owners that continue to run staggered (larger rear tire than front) tires.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Good choice.

Are staying with the FE3 setup or are going to upgrade to FE4?
Staying with FE3 (I think).
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
dcplus14

Quote:
Use the ZL1 front bar UNLESS you are running a square tire setup. The ONLY reason the front bar is larger on the 1LE is to induce factory acceptable safe UNDERSTEER. The square tire setup REDUCES understeer. Manufacturers like GM, Ford, Chrysler and 99.9% of the rest build cars with understeer for safety reasons. The ZL1 front bar will be the BEST setup for most owners that continue to run staggered (larger rear tire than front) tires.
With the Pedders 27mm front and 32 mm rear bars(is that right?), is the assumption that the common SS user will maintian their staggered setup? Or is that where the adjustable bars comes into play to allow both a staggered and square setup?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplus14 View Post
With the Pedders 27mm front and 32 mm rear bars(is that right?), is the assumption that the common SS user will maintian their staggered setup? Or is that where the adjustable bars comes into play to allow both a staggered and square setup?
That is why the front bar is adjustable. Our rear bar is adjustable too. Changing the density of the bushes in the drop link changes the bar efficiency. Between alignment and adjustment we can dial in a 5th Gen. The bottom line is that any set of sway bars will be better with a square wheel and tire setup.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #24
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
That is why the front bar is adjustable. Our rear bar is adjustable too. Changing the density of the bushes in the drop link changes the bar efficiency. Between alignment and adjustment we can dial in a 5th Gen. The bottom line is that any set of sway bars will be better with a square wheel and tire setup.
Pete, I think I will try the square setup first to see what it does.Auto x in 3 weeks and I have a extra set of stock wheels and tires so thought about putting the 20x9's on the front as well.The 2012 bars are 23/24 solids. If I like it(and the looks I sure do) Should the bars increase in size proportianately such as the 27/28 of the 1le, or best to get your bars and adjust as needed?
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Pete, I think I will try the square setup first to see what it does.Auto x in 3 weeks and I have a extra set of stock wheels and tires so thought about putting the 20x9's on the front as well.The 2012 bars are 23/24 solids. If I like it(and the looks I sure do) Should the bars increase in size proportianately such as the 27/28 of the 1le, or best to get your bars and adjust as needed?
You'll get good service out of an OE ZL1 bar set. You'll get much more from our 27/32. The cost is proportionate to the performance.

Note: I am biased as I specd' the sway bars
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Rick, try out the 20 x 9's on all corners, it is better than the staggered wheel set up...but keep in mind, our fastest guy runs BBS staggered wheels....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Rick, try out the 20 x 9's on all corners, it is better than the staggered wheel set up...but keep in mind, our fastest guy runs BBS staggered wheels....
Fastest guys tend to have the driver mod advantage
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
And a Hotchkis Track Pack in this case....