Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #43
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Well i will chime in because im a young guy in a pretty fast car. Im 18 daily driving a 2002 SS 6 speed. First off it depends on how you are raised and the crowd of people you hang out with. Growing up my dad always had camaros so it was a early love and i know that if anything happened to this car, i would be more mad at myself then anything.

I know i am very lucky to own this car let alone mod it some but it all comes with responsiblity. I have never had a ticket in this car and ive had it for over a year. Me and my dad go to many shows together and have a blast.

Honestly i see more people driving fast in POS cars then anything. Friend of mine has done well over 100 multipe times, thankfully without me in the car, in his 2001 acura CL with 230,000 miles. Or people speeding around in hyundias or hondas with the muffler cut off. Its all about how the driver handles the car. I cant tell you the number of times i have pulled up to a light and a friend of mine pulls next to me and tries to race. I just smile and go on my way slowly.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #44
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
An acquaintance of mine who was in law enforcement told me when they stopped allowing LEOs under 25 to drive the more powerful cars there was 90% less wrecks. That has to speak for something - the fact is that young brains are not fully developed and cannot always comprehend or predict the consequences of their actions.
Some can, some can't. Some kids drive well out of the gate, others never really get the hang of it. Can't paint everyone with the same brush, but in general and statistically, kids in powerful vehicles are a high-risk group.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #45
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Not bashing, just playing devil's advocate here. But you're telling me you never once showed off for your buddy's or a girl. Never once had a close call that made you think "now what the **** was I thinking?" Because you started that 12 second car for the first time and went - shit, I need to respect this thing. Right?

I'm not jealous, bitter, or whatever other synonyms for crotchety you want to you I just know that respect isn't just given - it is earned.

If respect was just given out, and using the military here, why is it that when someone who's done three tours, has a Purple Heart etc. chimes in about the dangers of a mission everyone listens.

Now I know that people and cars can't really be compared, but it's the best analogy I've got right now.
I agree, but to learn to respect a car I would urge being cautious rather than having an "Oh, Sh!t" moment. I learned to respect my car but watching idiots my age rev their cars in the parking lot at school only to blow their engines. On top of that I slowly worked up to learning the limits of the car, like how long it took to brake at high speeds, what g forces broke the tires lose, etc. etc. If you don't know the limits of your own car, the second you drive it out of "normal" circumstances you'll find disaster.

On your analogy, I'd argue that that's true except when talking to pilots.... you can't tell them anything. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
An acquaintance of mine who was in law enforcement told me when they stopped allowing LEOs under 25 to drive the more powerful cars there was 90% less wrecks. That has to speak for something - the fact is that young brains are not fully developed and cannot always comprehend or predict the consequences of their actions.
Some can, some can't. Some kids drive well out of the gate, others never really get the hang of it. Can't paint everyone with the same brush, but in general and statistically, kids in powerful vehicles are a high-risk group.
I completely disagree... I'm currently 25 and I'll use the gun/car analogy again. I was raised around cars (yes I know some aren't) and it made me learn a lot of do's and don'ts. But, I was not raised around guns, I only took that up when I was 21, but I learned to respect them. Then again I learned a lot about respect in my younger years, many do not.

The thing is you can't just say young people can't drive powerful cars. I've met MANY adults 30+ who would kill themselves driving half as "reckless" as I have. It is solely on the individual's experiences not on their age.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #46
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
To all the responsible kids: You are an exception, not a rule. You don't think you're stupid right now, but you will in 10 years. Ask any person who is 10 years older than you if they think they were dumb when they were your age. Any honest person will say yes (even if they didn't do "as dumb" of things as others). There is a reason why such a large majority of accidents involve teens. It's not just about being responsible, it's about experience. You don't have any. My personal opinion is that a brand new driver has no place behind the wheel of a car like a Camaro, even the V6. I'm specifically talking about the 16-18 year olds.

And stop comparing them to older muscle cars. Even the V6 stomps all over 90% of the old V8s.
V6 0-60 is 6 seconds.
'67 SS was 7.9 sec
All the '80s Z28/IROC were 6.5-7
Those "super fast" 5.0 Mustang GT's in the 80's were 6.3 or higher.
Hell, most of the 'Vettes from late 60's until the late 80's were >6 seconds
Obviously there are a few exceptions, but let's be real and acknowledge that a lot of the older muscle cars underperformed, and the ones everyone stereotypes are either few and far between, or had a bit of work done to them.

The data is all over the place about what statistics your age group plays in. There is a drastic difference, even just the difference between pre-18 and post-18. No need to get your underwear scrunched up. You just suck at driving, like all inexperienced kids (and yes, I include my 16 year old self in that statement). That's not to say some adults don't suck, because they do. But still statistically are involved in far fewer accidents.

"I rarely speed" and "I've never been in an accident" don't mean squat. You're still inexperienced. Driving is not the only skill that is dictated by experience. Work ethic, study skills, personal communication skills, professionalism, etc... Don't let your current good driving record give you an illusion about your driving capabilities I guess is what I'm mostly trying to say. You won't realize right now all the things you're doing poorly until you have a few years under your belts and then reflect. Sometimes... just sometimes... us older folk are genuinely concerned for you younger folks. It's not jealousy, envy, stubborn... whatever you want to call it. We just realize the things that will take you several more years to understand. We don't think you're all terrible, or all showboaters, and we're not saying you're necessarily irresponsible. Just inexperienced.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #47
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
"I was 2 at the time and the only car we had was a fisher-price rocket sled.. Haters gonna hate."

/
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #48
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
To all the responsible kids: You are an exception, not a rule. You don't think you're stupid right now, but you will in 10 years. Ask any person who is 10 years older than you if they think they were dumb when they were your age. Any honest person will say yes (even if they didn't do "as dumb" of things as others). There is a reason why such a large majority of accidents involve teens. It's not just about being responsible, it's about experience. You don't have any. My personal opinion is that a brand new driver has no place behind the wheel of a car like a Camaro, even the V6. I'm specifically talking about the 16-18 year olds.

And stop comparing them to older muscle cars. Even the V6 stomps all over 90% of the old V8s.
V6 0-60 is 6 seconds.
'67 SS was 7.9 sec
All the '80s Z28/IROC were 6.5-7
Those "super fast" 5.0 Mustang GT's in the 80's were 6.3 or higher.
Hell, most of the 'Vettes from late 60's until the late 80's were >6 seconds
Obviously there are a few exceptions, but let's be real and acknowledge that a lot of the older muscle cars underperformed, and the ones everyone stereotypes are either few and far between, or had a bit of work done to them.

The data is all over the place about what statistics your age group plays in. There is a drastic difference, even just the difference between pre-18 and post-18. No need to get your underwear scrunched up. You just suck at driving, like all inexperienced kids (and yes, I include my 16 year old self in that statement). That's not to say some adults don't suck, because they do. But still statistically are involved in far fewer accidents.

"I rarely speed" and "I've never been in an accident" don't mean squat. You're still inexperienced. Driving is not the only skill that is dictated by experience. Work ethic, study skills, personal communication skills, professionalism, etc... Don't let your current good driving record give you an illusion about your driving capabilities I guess is what I'm mostly trying to say. You won't realize right now all the things you're doing poorly until you have a few years under your belts and then reflect. Sometimes... just sometimes... us older folk are genuinely concerned for you younger folks. It's not jealousy, envy, stubborn... whatever you want to call it. We just realize the things that will take you several more years to understand. We don't think you're all terrible, or all showboaters, and we're not saying you're necessarily irresponsible. Just inexperienced.
So it's all about age and experience when it comes to everything right? So let me use another analogy. Who would you trust more with a gun, a 21 year old (enter name of spec. ops team here) or a 40 year old who has been shooting on the range their entire life? It's not just age and it's not just experience, one size does NOT fit all.

Bottom Line: It comes down to what experiences that individual has had, not the amount of experience.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #49
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Young or old, if you have power you will use it. It come down to when and where you use it.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #50
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I think some adults could do without the power.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #51
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
So it's all about age and experience when it comes to everything right? So let me use another analogy. Who would you trust more with a gun, a 21 year old (enter name of spec. ops team here) or a 40 year old who has been shooting on the range their entire life? It's not just age and it's not just experience, one size does NOT fit all.

Bottom Line: It comes down to what experiences that individual has had, not the amount of experience.
TBH that's not a good analogy at all, but to answer your question... the 40 year old. Specops or not, there is no amount of experience with a firearm that the 21 year old will have that will trump 19 more years of firearm experience. He/she might have some talents or training the older person might not have, but time behind a firearm... not even close. People are delusional about specops teams. They get a lot of training, but it's not all firearms training. What makes them good is their teamwork, planning, controlling their emotions, and ability to adapt... not their proficiency with a firearm. Additionally, we're talking about driving, and a 21 year old is night and day from a 16-18 year old (the age group I specifically mentioned). Apples to oranges my friend.

But yes, when it comes to a skill like driving, experience trumps all. If you truly wish to nitpick, yes it matters what kind of experience for certain things. For example a 40 year old that has never been off roading will get stuck where a 20 year old that has been doing it since they were 16 will likely not. But without knowing anything about either of them, I'm statistically more safe riding with the 40 year old.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #52
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity149 View Post
Ok, so a lot of people on this site seem to think that kids (early drivers) should not be able to drive a powerful car like the Camaro. There are alot of stories about kids getting into accidents and dying or killing their passengers, or other drivers. Here is what I think:
Saying that "kids" should to have the opportunity to drive these cars, is an unfair statement. I personally bought my car after my father passed away. I was 18 Years old, and am still paying for my car by myself. I am a very responsible driver, like a lot of other "kids" out there. The reason kids are always in the news, is for that exact reason: Kid + Nice Car + Crash = News. Any person is capable of driving in a manner that endangers lives, and even reading on these forums, "4 cylinders is enough for kids" comes up enough. All I am trying to say, is if a "kid" can legitimatly buy his/her own car and be a safe, proud owner of it, than it should be accepted.

I had a muscle car when I was 17
Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #53
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's think about all the classic muscle car guys who bought their first car early, maybe with help from family, and ended up driving something really powerful. Today, we don't seem to give the young guys the same credit. Back there, there were no nannies to help control that power, either.
This is a good point. But the other side of that coin is that when those classic muslce car guys got their first car and it was powerful, they had experience driving RWD cars....with no nannies

Most teens today are very used to a car- if they are used to any car- that electronically monitors their driving and keeps them out of trouble for the most part

As I said earlier, I had a stoopid V8 car at 17. But I had more experience driving stoopid V8 RWD cars at 17 than most 'kids' do today at age 25. When I took Dad's poly 318 Polara out in the rain and went around a corner too fast, the rear stepped out. And that car was dog slow.
I have nothing against kids with powerful cars, I just want to round out your scenario by mentioning that while the age of the driver from yesteryear to today is the same, their general knowledge and experience of cars is hardly the same- cars today are by and large so much easier to drive without being in danger of losing control unless you do something monumentally stupid that there's no comparison
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #54
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
This is a good point. But the other side of that coin is that when those classic muslce car guys got their first car and it was powerful, they had experience driving RWD cars....with no nannies

Most teens today are very used to a car- if they are used to any car- that electronically monitors their driving and keeps them out of trouble for the most part

As I said earlier, I had a stoopid V8 car at 17. But I had more experience driving stoopid V8 RWD cars at 17 than most 'kids' do today at age 25. When I took Dad's poly 318 Polara out in the rain and went around a corner too fast, the rear stepped out. And that car was dog slow.
I have nothing against kids with powerful cars, I just want to round out your scenario by mentioning that while the age of the driver from yesteryear to today is the same, their general knowledge and experience of cars is hardly the same- cars today are by and large so much easier to drive without being in danger of losing control unless you do something monumentally stupid that there's no comparison
That and all cars built before 1976 (could be off by a few years) had much thicker sheet metal on the body panels than cars nowadays. Ever try denting a 1950's Chevelle? You could take a bat to it and not leave a dent.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #55
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
That and all cars built before 1976 (could be off by a few years) had much thicker sheet metal on the body panels than cars nowadays. Ever try denting a 1950's Chevelle? You could take a bat to it and not leave a dent.
WHY would you ever try to dent a 50s Chevelle?!
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #56
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
WHY would you ever try to dent a 50s Chevelle?!
Well you wouldn't. But say, if your ex-wife wanted to - she couldn't.