Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #57
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
RJ get a 1LE and follow the path of the Blue Angel...... I wish you lived closer I'd let you drive mine; you wouldn't believe the difference the proper kind of weight reduction and suspension upgrades can make. The $15k+ extra you pay for a ZL1 can buy some uber fun for a 1LE that will let you outgun a ZL1. And you can do it slowly over time as your budget allows instead of struggling under a killer car payment.

Doc I am 100% with you! Your thinking a mine our in line!!! I didn't want to say this to RJ because I don't want to talk him out of what he wants to get but Justin and I were talking and thought he be crazy not to get a 1le.

Also as the budget allows, he can always add additional power if he'd like.

He'll just have to stay focused and keep away from the Du-dad modification that suck up all your money but don't do anything for the "fun factor" in the driving experience. Stay away from the " Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions" forum section and you'll be alright, LOL. All those are economical mods but when you add them up they end up costing you a bunch. It's just that they don't do anything for the fun factor in the driving experience. I heard someone say one time that if you spend your fortune a penny at a time, you'll end up with trinkets but if you save your dollars you could end up with treasures. I have found it better to focus on performance mods as they will give you the biggest per-ma-grin for the $. All that other stuff is a bunch of BS............

Last edited by Moreno1; 06-29-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #58
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Doc I am 100% with you! Your thinking a mine our in line!!! I didn't want to say this to RJ because I don't want to talk him out of what he wants to get but Justin and I were talking and thought he be crazy not to get a 1le.

Also as the budget allows, he can always add additional power if he'd like.

He'll just have to stay focused and keep away from the Du-dad modification that suck up all your money but don't do anything for the "fun factor" in the driving experience. Stay away from the " Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions" forum section and you'll be alright, LOL. All those are economical mods but when you add them up they end up costing you a bunch. It's just that they don't do anything for the fun factor in the driving experience. I heard someone say one time that if you spend your fortune a penny at a time, you'll end up with trinkets but if you save your dollars you could end up with treasures. I have found it better to focus on performance mods as they will give you the biggest per-ma-grin for the $. All that other stuff is a bunch of BS............
While I don't agree at all with not doing cosmetic mods. I do agree with a 1 Le with recaros + weight reduction + aftermarket suspension + cam or S/C
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #59
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The 1LE is born NA and stays NA.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #60
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Non-ZL1 owners will tell you to get a 1LE. ZL1 owners will tell you to get a ZL1 if it is a financially sound idea.

Get whatever model serves you best and fulfills your needs/purposes/wants, that way you'll be happy in whatever you decide.

I'm excited for you and looking forward to your next build!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #61
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Non-ZL1 owners will tell you to get a 1LE. ZL1 owners will tell you to get a ZL1 if it is a financially sound idea.

Get whatever model serves you best and fulfills your needs/purposes/wants, that way you'll be happy in whatever you decide.

I'm excited for you and looking forward to your next build!
If the extra $20,000 isn't a big deal, go with the ZL1. If it is, than the 1LE is a more rational purchase. Nothing to do with what we drive.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #62

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
....I'd say keep an open mind entirely about what to buy...last car/truck of mine that was totaled I was in a rush to replace it with the same thing...glad I didn't...ended up with my new Camaro instead...

...Just sayin' it's an opportunity to look at everything....Dodge, Ford (gulp), Corvette, whatever...

...maybe even wait for the 6th Gen Camaros...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #63
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Get the ZL1 and dont look back, i think you will work it out, save for 2-3 mouths and get what you wanted, best of luck with the new car what ever it turns out to be.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #64
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Stig, if you can swing it buy a ZL1. If you are not able to afford it the 1LE all the way.

If I could have swung it more comfortably I would have gone ZL1. IMHO the 1LE is about 85%-90% of what I wanted in a Camaro. I figure the ZL1 is about 95% there. Some drop springs and headers/pulley/tune... there you go.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #65
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
Stig I would go with the 1LE package, I'd get it if I could. But you have to decide what you want to get, so don't keep us in suspense whatcha getting??? lol
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #66
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 1LE is born NA and stays NA.

Preach it Pete!

No offense SUXHOST... lol
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #67
Msjud

Drives: 2010 camaro
Where did you get your halo fog lights?
Msjud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #68
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
RJ get a 1LE and follow the path of the Blue Angel...... I wish you lived closer I'd let you drive mine; you wouldn't believe the difference the proper kind of weight reduction and suspension upgrades can make. The $15k+ extra you pay for a ZL1 can buy some uber fun for a 1LE that will let you outgun a ZL1. And you can do it slowly over time as your budget allows instead of struggling under a killer car payment.
Doc, you jus revealed my top secret build plan

But after I did the math out of what mods I'd need to put on a 1LE I'd be pretty much at the same price as a ZL1, and I'd still be missing things like the magnetic ride suspension, etc. So I figured I'd save up, get my monthly payments to a more comfortable number, and then just focus on weight reduction as the ZL1 already has enough power. It'll be weird driving a car that still has a factory powertrain warranty, but I think I could get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Get the ZL1 and dont look back, i think you will work it out, save for 2-3 mouths and get what you wanted, best of luck with the new car what ever it turns out to be.
Ofer hit the nail on the head as to what I'm planning.

Talked with Becky, and she said she's willing to delay my order a bit so that I can save up a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msjud View Post
Where did you get your halo fog lights?
Got them from AAC. I still have them actually, if you want them I'm more than happy to PIF them to you. Just let me know and I'll get them out to you this week.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #69
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Good deal RJ. Glad to see you've got a plan and will be back into a great Camaro soon.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #70
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
RJ, good luck with what ever decision you make. Keep in mind going ZL1 means 72 months of payments, insurance, etc. Since you're having some 2nd thoughts now, that's an awful long commitment and a lot of money for a long time. Also you're still going to want to mod, cutting your finances tight will leave you little room.

Don't fall into peer pressure, its your money and your future. Think things through long and hard, then do it again before you commit to such a large dollar amount, thats what I did. Surprisingly even though a ZL1 easily fit in my budget now (and my wife wanted me to get one), I still decided on an SS, which is now paid off. In the end it will feel much worse to give up a ZL1 due to financial constants then it will feel to never have had one.

Sorry if I seem to be going against most, but for me being financial stable is more important then putting myself in a position to be financial stressed.

My advise, get whatever you'll feel comfortable paying on, no matter what it is, you'll love it. Good luck with your decision!

Felix

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, build thread, fireball, gen5diy, pedders, the stig, zl1