Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I had long tube headers, no cats, solo Mach XL exhaust which is a resonated x pipe and no mufflers, it does have j pipes to eliminate drone and has absolutely no rasp
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Marquis843
Silver Bullet

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
Yes, it's a struggle to get the right tone and volume in these Camaros. I don't know about the 2016s and above, but for volume, I found exhaust diverters are great. There are several out there like no weeds, qtp, etc... It's like having straight pipes. I think its because of our single cam setup whereas the stangs have a double cam setup, theirs tend to be loud. Someone can correct me on this. Good luck!
One of my buddies has a 17 5.0 and the stock exhaust on it is just brutal. I love the way it sounds. I believe it’s the single cam or the firing order of our engines but it’s a lot of test and tune when it comes to sound of these camaros lol. It seems with ours it’s tone at the sacrifice of volume.
Marquis843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
Marquis843
Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I had long tube headers, no cats, solo Mach XL exhaust which is a resonated x pipe and no mufflers, it does have j pipes to eliminate drone and has absolutely no rasp
I’ll look into this. Never ran a j pipe before so I’m interested in seeing what this sounds like. Off to YouTube lol
Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #18
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:
Yes, it's a struggle to get the right tone and volume in these Camaros. I don't know about the 2016s and above, but for volume, I found exhaust diverters are great. There are several out there like no weeds, qtp, etc... It's like having straight pipes. I think its because of our single cam setup whereas the stangs have a double cam setup, theirs tend to be loud. Someone can correct me on this. Good luck!
Damn Stangs....every time one passes by with a growl my two boys say "you need to make the Camaro sound like that"
Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #19
GetSmart

Drives: 2013 Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
Damn Stangs....every time one passes by with a growl my two boys say "you need to make the Camaro sound like that"
Ouch, I feel the same way, but still love my Camaro!
Rotofab CAI, VMAX PTB, Borla S axle-back, Dynatech SuperMaxx 1 7/8" headers/HF cats, No weeds exhaust diverters, Apex air scoop & catch can, Rohana wheels, MPD1 Z-Force Hood, BTR Stage 3 cam, Vitesse Throttle Controller, etc...
GetSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #20
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis843 View Post
I’ll look into this. Never ran a j pipe before so I’m interested in seeing what this sounds like. Off to YouTube lol
I'm not sure if the j pipes have an effect on sound, they do control drone, two different things. I had a couple of video's in my thread but can't seem to find them.

Videos don't really give the true sound of an exhaust, hearing it in person is much better. Mine is a stroker motor with a big cam which does effect sound but I had the same exhaust before the motor build and it still sounded really good in my opinion. At one point I had high flow cats, didn't affect the tone that much as they did volume.There was no rasp with either set up
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #21
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I love my setup with the resonators deleted and the Mag muffs. I even kept the stock tips so it is very stealthy. I have a hobby of messing with 5.0 stangs with a manual. Shift my L99 into sport mode and let er rip. I’m gone after their first shift and it really growls. So much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #22
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I have Flowmaster super 10's mufflers and resonator delete with an X pipe.

ZERO RASP, ZERO DRONE. DEEP, VERY DEEP GROWL. And loud as hell at WOT. Wish I was tech savy and could post a sound clip.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #23
Marquis843
Silver Bullet

Quote:
Ouch, I feel the same way, but still love my Camaro!
Lol they’re definitely head turners but I wouldn’t trade my Camaro for one. I’ve been a Chevy guy all my life
Old 11-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Marquis843
Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I have Flowmaster super 10's mufflers and resonator delete with an X pipe.

ZERO RASP, ZERO DRONE. DEEP, VERY DEEP GROWL. And loud as hell at WOT. Wish I was tech savy and could post a sound clip.
That’s the method I’m going to try tomorrow actually. I’ll post some sound clips of results
Old 11-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #25
Marquis843
Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelar View Post
I love my setup with the resonators deleted and the Mag muffs. I even kept the stock tips so it is very stealthy. I have a hobby of messing with 5.0 stangs with a manual. Shift my L99 into sport mode and let er rip. I’m gone after their first shift and it really growls. So much fun!

Not too many stangs in my area bother me in the camaro. They had a thing for my G8 GT though lol
Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #26
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
That’s funny. Talk about stealthy. Most dummies wouldn’t know what you had! A guy in my hood has a GTO with a 6.0L. He’s always tearing it up.

rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #27
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
The rasp is likely coming from your lack of cats. Raspy exhaust is typically found when a car is catless. If you add cats you should be able to reduce the rasp, but the car will still be loud because of the elimination of the factory cats and manifolds.
As for the solo exhaust with J pipes, the J pipes are they're to eliminate in cabin drone not rasp. They do an excellent job and I highly recommend them for a comfortable in cab experience. I have Kooks headers with cats and Solo Mach XL catback and it is a very enjoyable ride.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #28
Marquis843
Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelar View Post
That’s funny. Talk about stealthy. Most dummies wouldn’t know what you had! A guy in my hood has a GTO with a 6.0L. He’s always tearing it up.

Lol that’s what I thought. But once people heard the exhaust and realized the drag radials weren’t on there for no reason they left it alone lol. I wish I never sold it. Those 6.0 GTO are no jokes.

Tags
camaro, exhaust, headers, rasp