Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #99
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
This is actually not true. Brembo was aware of this from the start but a permanent solution (such as these so-called "training wheels") was not implemented on the Camaro brembo calipers prior to the SORP. The process for official GM approval of manufacturing techniques is quite long. There was a period where these "weights" were put on my GM but there was also a period when the brake assemblies came from Brembo with the stick-on weights installed (anyone who toured Martinrea in October will remember seeing the brake assemblies from Brembo Italy with the weights installed already). There's another thread somewhere about this where I posted the whole sequence for evolution on these from the CTF cars to present - sorry no VIN cut-offs.
Again, as Tran and others have said, these are not their for weight purposes, but rather are designed for harmonic dampening (sic).....
I figured there might be someone closer to the source on this board -- thanks for straightening me out. My source (who is very close to a certain supplier) did not have all the details. Let's hope they don't get those new brake pads too wet when they install the damper weights.
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #100
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
i think it looks better... are they glued on? that was my big problem with the weights in the first place
If they are like all the other Brembo-specified pads, they are riveted, not glued.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #101
2Fast4U2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS
A cheap fix, that is just substandard GM. I hope GM is reading all this, Brembo should be mad as hell. That is there name on the break as well. Very disappointing so called fix, it needs to get better. I bought this car because of the so called quality GM??
2Fast4U2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #102
zerolm

Drives: Ford F-350/ 2SS/RS M6
You are not going to purchase a car this year that runs 9.90's in the 1/4 mile while also carrying all or your inlaws and getting 34 MPG at the same time. I don't care how much you spend on it or how much money you have. Sometimes there is a trade off between performance and practicality that cannot be transcended. I am sure that in given time there will be a brake pad available for this car that will be more "practical" (Won't stop as well, especially when hot, but won't squeak near as much either)
I am no engineer, however I have extensive experience with full out race cars with very expensive braking systems and they squeak like you would never believe. I am sure many of you watch NASCAR, next time you watch a pitstop on TV, listen closely as the car rolls to a stop in the pit box. I am not saying that the noise shouldn't be improved on the camaro because it should.
I guess my point is that some of you guys purchased a high performance car with high performance brakes for under $40k that outperforms many higher priced cars, but you are outraged that it doesen't ride like a Lexus, accelerate like a top fuel dragster, brake better than a F1 car, with the fuel mileage of a Prius.
Alot of people wonder why it is so difficult for carmakers to produce an affordable performance car such as the camaro. I am sorry to tell you that these sort of complaints are what deters manufacturers from actually giving us these better parts on our stock vehicles. If a GM engineer is reading your posts he is thinking that they should of put the LT calipers on all the cars, that way they would not be getting any complaints..
Bottom line is this, be patient , if this problem persists someone WILL develop a low performance pad/rotor combination for this car that makes no noise at all. Meanwhile, be thankful that GM had the nads to actually put real brakes on a car that cost less than $40k........ Just my opinion...........
zerolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #103
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Why is everybody offended by the wheel weights? They don't seem to cause problems while driving or braking. Who cares? I think you all are blowing this way out of proportion.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #104
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4U2010 View Post
A cheap fix, that is just substandard GM. I hope GM is reading all this, Brembo should be mad as hell. That is there name on the break as well. Very disappointing so called fix, it needs to get better. I bought this car because of the so called quality GM??
Ummmmmm, so you don't think this was Brembo's design to fix the noise?????? This isn't an add on, it's part of the caliper designed by Brembo.

And you guys may want to check the calipers on some of the more expensive cars. They use a very siimilar design to what the Camaro now has. So quit bashing GM. This is a typical industry wide solution.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #105
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
i think it looks better... are they glued on? that was my big problem with the weights in the first place
If they are like all the other Brembo-specified pads, they are riveted, not glued.
Pay attention! This thread is about the weights on the brakes, not about the brake pads. The issue was that the weights were glued on and people were afraid they'd fall off (and some people actually had them fall off).
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #106
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Pay attention! This thread is about the weights on the brakes, not about the brake pads. The issue was that the weights were glued on and people were afraid they'd fall off (and some people actually had them fall off).
yes... if these rollerskates are riveted on then i don't care what they look like.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #107
Chris_B

Quote:
Really??? It sure looked like a discussion of the latest incarnation of damper to me (hence the thread title). The current fix, of course, is actually riveted to the brake pad back plate now, just like with several other Brembo-equipped cars. No glue, no runs, no drips, no errors...
Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #108
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklipan View Post
Well said Zero. Americans have come to expect perfection in just about everything we put our hands on. In my book, this car is a beast of a street pounding SOB (off the showroom floor). I had mine in for the same reason. The GM had the specailist "burnish" the pads to try and eliminate the problem (RF break only). If this is the small price to pay for breaking security, I will tolerate it. I need the car to stop when I want it to with some degree of expectation and sense of what it can and can't do. Fun on the streets and freeway is where it's at for me so I for one am very glad that GM had the presence of mind to put a high performance breaking system on this car.
There is a lot of truth here. GM did the best they could with the allocated budget. Are there better brakes out there? Sure, but these are superior to any previous generation Camaro. They are slightly modified from the CTS-V system, so the costs were kept in line.

Brake bed-in is woefully neglected even by the manufacturers these days. It needs to be done for the brakes to work their best and to promote smoother, quieter operation. Also, don't be afraid to take them out once in a while to have fun and get them good and warm. Slow speed rubbing breaks down the pad transfer layer on the rotor friction surface, leading to decreased stopping power and sometimes extra brake noise.

This is still a first-year car. I'm sure in future model years that adjustments will continue to be made.

Chris
Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #109
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Really??? It sure looked like a discussion of the latest incarnation of damper to me (hence the thread title). The current fix, of course, is actually riveted to the brake pad back plate now, just like with several other Brembo-equipped cars. No glue, no runs, no drips, no errors...
You may want to work on your communication skills. This:
Quote:
sure sounds like you're talking about how the pad is attached to the back plate, not how the weights are attached to anything.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #110
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolm View Post
You are not going to purchase a car this year that runs 9.90's in the 1/4 mile while also carrying all or your inlaws and getting 34 MPG at the same time. I don't care how much you spend on it or how much money you have. Sometimes there is a trade off between performance and practicality that cannot be transcended. I am sure that in given time there will be a brake pad available for this car that will be more "practical" (Won't stop as well, especially when hot, but won't squeak near as much either)
I am no engineer, however I have extensive experience with full out race cars with very expensive braking systems and they squeak like you would never believe. I am sure many of you watch NASCAR, next time you watch a pitstop on TV, listen closely as the car rolls to a stop in the pit box. I am not saying that the noise shouldn't be improved on the camaro because it should.
I guess my point is that some of you guys purchased a high performance car with high performance brakes for under $40k that outperforms many higher priced cars, but you are outraged that it doesen't ride like a Lexus, accelerate like a top fuel dragster, brake better than a F1 car, with the fuel mileage of a Prius.
Alot of people wonder why it is so difficult for carmakers to produce an affordable performance car such as the camaro. I am sorry to tell you that these sort of complaints are what deters manufacturers from actually giving us these better parts on our stock vehicles. If a GM engineer is reading your posts he is thinking that they should of put the LT calipers on all the cars, that way they would not be getting any complaints..
Bottom line is this, be patient , if this problem persists someone WILL develop a low performance pad/rotor combination for this car that makes no noise at all. Meanwhile, be thankful that GM had the nads to actually put real brakes on a car that cost less than $40k........ Just my opinion...........
i couldn't have said this better myself. i think we are expecting waaaaayy too much here. you can barely notice those weights on the caliper.

this car is a freaking BEAST !! let's stop our knit picking and drive the damn thing !!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #111
Chris_B

Quote:
You may want to work on your communication skills. This:

sure sounds like you're talking about how the pad is attached to the back plate, not how the weights are attached to anything.
Your suggestion has been taken under advisement. Good quality pads have not been riveted to back plates for many, many years. They have never been glued. Sorry for any confusion caused by my direct reply to the question regarding the weights.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #112
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
works for me. i have no problem with the brakes as they are now (riveted fix).