Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
i'm confused..alot of tutorials say to use dawn soap if you're gonna clay, re-polish and re-wax.

I guess its if you're doing it right away.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
svrds10

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 Wht/Slvr ext Wht/Gry int
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
i'm confused..alot of tutorials say to use dawn soap if you're gonna clay, re-polish and re-wax.

I guess its if you're doing it right away.
Yea, only use dawn if you plan on laying down a new coat of wax. The purpose of a dawn wash is to strip the old wax from the vehicle so you can re-apply a new coat. Other than that the dawn belongs under the sink

'10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS - Summit White W/ Silver Stripes
'
09 Dodge Challenger R/T - Hemi Orange
svrds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Dawn, NO! Any car wash liquid soap from any auto-parts store, YES. I buy the 1 gallon bottles for less than $5, lasts me a year for 1 car. You could spend more on highly advertised brands but that is what you are paying for...advertising.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
I just hand wash with water only.
A paint expert that deals with a lot of body shops also told me not to use wax on clearcoat, just keep it clean.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #19
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Should I use the same car soap for the rims as well? Midnight Silver 20's.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
dawn strips any wax or sealant on your paint surface, basically removing what ever protection you have. the only time I do dawn is early in the spring when I do a complete multi step detail. fixing chips and paint inperfections claying, removing lite swirls, then sealing, polishing etc. don't do it unless you putting fresh pretection back on the surface!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #21
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhawk View Post
A paint expert that deals with a lot of body shops also told me not to use wax on clearcoat, just keep it clean.
What kind of paint expert was this character?

To the OP - Dawn removes all the paints protection and dries out black plastic trim; I only wash with dawn once a year for that "major" detail. Adam's for the rest of the year
Old 09-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #22
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
once year I use dish soap on my vehicles, its the best soap as far as actual cleaning and getting rid of dirt and grime. BUT know that it takes off all wax. I imediately re-wax once and usually again in another week.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #23
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrds10 View Post
We are here to help. You have to learn somewhere right?

If you are looking to go with Autozone products then stick the the well known names like Meguirs, Mothers, and even ICE. The problem with Autozone and any other over the counter products is that the micro fiber towels are complete junk and will scratch the crap out of your paint the 1st time you use them.

I would check out Adams products. They are only sold online and today they released a new Foam gun and are running a special on a Premium car wash kit.

Since you are just looking to keep your car clean and not do any in depth detailing yet then go with this the Premium kit and you will be all set to go.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-6-specials.aspx

Make sure to use the "CAMARO5" coupon code to get yourself an extra 10% off.

I guarantee you wont regret going with that kit. They also have a 110% satisfaction guarantee policy and they stick by it.

Adams is great stuff, I used to think that there wasn't a big deal until I gave them a try.

As for cheap microfibers that scratch your paint. That all comes from what you consider a scratch in the paint. Some people can live with the swirl marks. The softness and quality of the korean made microfiber towels adams has prevents that.

The cheap ones are good to start with, and I have kept them for wiping off the exhaust tips, the wheels, and the engine bay.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Unfortunately I wasnt joking , I'm a car care amatuer. Good thing I asked though. What would you guys recommend, then? I have an autozone 5 minutes away from my house. Something for a quick wash at the end of every week, I really dont have the time to clay/wax the car too often.

Thanks again guys
Quote:
Should I use the same car soap for the rims as well? Midnight Silver 20's.
WHe....I'm glad to read you're willing to do what's necessary to protect your finish.

Seeing as you have an automotive store close to you, if you're looking for a good "over the counter" brand of wax/polish, either Meguires or Mothers offer very good products. If you find you have to for a more involved detailing, some good products, which you'd have to order, are Zaino and Adams.

Also, purchase a couple of wash mitts, either sheepskin or chenile, one for the paint, one for the rims. In addition, some good quality drying towels, rags, are in order, for drying and polish removal.

As for the rims, just use the same car wash as well as whatever wax/polish you choose, and you'll be fine.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #25
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I did it. Washed her today. Bought some Turtle brand car wash, supposedly it leaves "a wax after every wash" although I'm not entirely sold on that. Washed and dried with microfiber towels. The drying took longer than the actual cleaning, and I'm not sure I did it right, I still got water spots. Also cleaned the spider webs from the garage. Cant wait to see her in the full sun tomorow. Thanks for your help guys.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #26
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
I did it. Washed her today. Bought some Turtle brand car wash, supposedly it leaves "a wax after every wash" although I'm not entirely sold on that. Washed and dried with microfiber towels. The drying took longer than the actual cleaning, and I'm not sure I did it right, I still got water spots. Also cleaned the spider webs from the garage. Cant wait to see her in the full sun tomorow. Thanks for your help guys.
I'm happy to read you're using a car wash.

As for the water spots, that can occur if you have "hard water", and/or if you've washed the car while the paint temp. is warm/hot. They can be removed if you invest some time in a good wax/polish and clay bar.

If you're not "sold" on the Turtle Wax brand try either Mothers or Meguires.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #27
gofast908z

Drives: Camaro
I thought this was a joke at first......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Do not use Dawn unless your wanting to strip all of the old wax off of the car..
bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'm afraid to know what the paint looks like on the cars you've been washing with Dawn!

You CANNOT base your reasoning on Dawns performance on utensils...thats crazy!

Dawn will remove any protection your paint has, leaving it vulnerable to acid rain, your basic road grime, etc., resulting in a rapidly deteriorating paint job. Seriously, spend a few bucks and buy a good quality car wash. Car washes are designed for your cars paint. Dawn is designed to clean pots, pans, utensils, NOT car paint.

I hope you'll avoid using Dawn...you may think you're saving money, not having to buy car wash, but in the long run, you'll end up spending alot more money for a repaint.
My thoughts exactly.
gofast908z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #28
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhawk View Post

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote