Old 06-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #15
Ricco

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert A10
My mods are as follows

Kooks LT headers into Kooks 3" midpipe into factory NPP
Carbon Elite intake
TM TB
9.17" Lower Pulley and ATI Balancer

My car made 644whp on a Mustang Dyno in 90 degree's and 100% humidity. This is about as fast as I would spin the factory blower without supplemental IAT cooling (Meth or E85).
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

Previous cars in chronological order
2016 GT350, 2014 MEV Rocket, 2013 Nissan Qashqai + 2, 1.6L Diesel, 2010 Nissan Note 1.5L Diesel, 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, 2009 Subaru Impreza STI, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 1997 Subaru Impreza Catalunya special Edition, 1992 Daihatsu Charade GTti, 1978 Mk1 Ford Fiesta
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #16
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
There's actually quite a bit of gains to be had on stock boost and it's not a bad way to go about it at all especially if you may track the car.

Intake
Ported Blower
Ported Throttle Body
Headers
E85
Tune

Should be a healthy 50-75 RWHP. You're only going to need to go about 40%-60% E, no need to full E85 but with no pulley the fuel system probably could handle straight E85.

If you wanted to pulley, a 5% ATI or 9% Innovators West is the way to go. Now if you're going to do E85 or Meth or both then you can easily handle a 15% pulley. On straight 91 or 93, I would avoid a pulley over 10%, it WILL be pulling a lot of timing after a few pulls and you won't be making much more power than stock boost but at the price of more heat.

Truthfully, I think the best setup is full bolt on with a 15% pulley AND Meth or E or Both. Or 9% pulley on 93 pump. Pick one. I did research on this for months for my C7 Z06, I'm a pretty good "researcher" and take lots of notes and use as much proof as I can and I basically found cars pulleyed 18%, 20%+ OD don't make any more power than 9% or 15% cars that are tuned right, especially after the first pull. If you live in a hot climate like Texas, you'll also want to go more conservative on the boost.

The mentality that a lot of Supercharger people are used to which is pretty much just pulley the snot out of it and call it a day DOES NOT work well for the LT4 due to the 1740's size and fact it's already spun up to about max efficiency. Now the LS9 or Hellcat, by all means pulley it and let 'er eat. But for the LT4, you'll need to make up most of your gains with E/Meth and maximizing air flow in other areas than just the blower.

My $0.02
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
There's actually quite a bit of gains to be had on stock boost and it's not a bad way to go about it at all especially if you may track the car.

Intake
Ported Blower
Ported Throttle Body
Headers
E85
Tune

Should be a healthy 50-75 RWHP. You're only going to need to go about 40%-60% E, no need to full E85 but with no pulley the fuel system probably could handle straight E85.

If you wanted to pulley, a 5% ATI or 9% Innovators West is the way to go. Now if you're going to do E85 or Meth or both then you can easily handle a 15% pulley. On straight 91 or 93, I would avoid a pulley over 10%, it WILL be pulling a lot of timing after a few pulls and you won't be making much more power than stock boost but at the price of more heat.

Truthfully, I think the best setup is full bolt on with a 15% pulley AND Meth or E or Both. Or 9% pulley on 93 pump. Pick one. I did research on this for months for my C7 Z06, I'm a pretty good "researcher" and take lots of notes and use as much proof as I can and I basically found cars pulleyed 18%, 20%+ OD don't make any more power than 9% or 15% cars that are tuned right, especially after the first pull. If you live in a hot climate like Texas, you'll also want to go more conservative on the boost.

The mentality that a lot of Supercharger people are used to which is pretty much just pulley the snot out of it and call it a day DOES NOT work well for the LT4 due to the 1740's size and fact it's already spun up to about max efficiency. Now the LS9 or Hellcat, by all means pulley it and let 'er eat. But for the LT4, you'll need to make up most of your gains with E/Meth and maximizing air flow in other areas than just the blower.

My $0.02
I don't want to deal with meth or anything, E85 maybe down the road. Just looking for around 50rwhp or so over stock, just for that little extra oomph. I was hoping a ported blower, throttle body and tune could get me close to that.

Is the 9% the most mild pulley available? I think there's a 2.4" upper pulley which doesn't spin the blower that much more than stock. I figure it might be good for 15 rwhp or so, maybe. I could be wrong.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I don't want to deal with meth or anything, E85 maybe down the road. Just looking for around 50rwhp or so over stock, just for that little extra oomph. I was hoping a ported blower, throttle body and tune could get me close to that.

Is the 9% the most mild pulley available? I think there's a 2.4" upper pulley which doesn't spin the blower that much more than stock. I figure it might be good for 15 rwhp or so, maybe. I could be wrong.
Not sure on a 2.40", but there's a 2.38" which is about ~7% overdrive from my calculations. Ben @ Weapon X knows a lot about this stuff and also offer a wide range of pulleys/belts. I'd call him up myself.

ATI makes a 5% OD lower pulley. And you can get a custom machined pulley and in fact, I think there's somebody that makes a 2.45" pulley (Stock is 2.5").

You should see a solid gain from the mods you listed, but I would add Headers. The loss of 1-2 PSI does NOT mean you lost 1-2 PSI worth of HP. It just lowered the pressure and you WILL pick up HP with them, probably about 30 when paired with a tune. A 2.30/2.38 or 9% or even 15% is all safe on 93, so if you want to pulley than go for it. The uppers are pretty mild compared to the 15%+ lowers so no worries there.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #19
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Not sure on a 2.40", but there's a 2.38" which is about ~7% overdrive from my calculations. Ben @ Weapon X knows a lot about this stuff and also offer a wide range of pulleys/belts. I'd call him up myself.

ATI makes a 5% OD lower pulley. And you can get a custom machined pulley and in fact, I think there's somebody that makes a 2.45" pulley (Stock is 2.5").

You should see a solid gain from the mods you listed, but I would add Headers. The loss of 1-2 PSI does NOT mean you lost 1-2 PSI worth of HP. It just lowered the pressure and you WILL pick up HP with them, probably about 30 when paired with a tune. A 2.30/2.38 or 9% or even 15% is all safe on 93, so if you want to pulley than go for it. The uppers are pretty mild compared to the 15%+ lowers so no worries there.
Okay that's good to hear. Usually I'm always for a lower pulley over an upper, but if the blower is coming off anyway for porting, I figure might as well.

I'll e-mail Weapon-X when the time comes, the 2.38" was probably the one I was thinking about. Basically I want something very safe that I can drive hard whenever I want and be able to take on road trips. Nothing on the ragged edge or close to it, just looking for a little something extra over stock.

Headers always seem to be a great mod for power. Only downside I can think of is changing the sound, which I already love on the ZL1.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #20
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Drives: White 2018 ZL1
What kind of gains would we see WITHOUT the E85 tune? It seems to be an integral part of any list provided so far. On normal pump gas, it sounds like these mods will be lacking. I run 91 daily, and from what I'm seeing E85 is a little hard to come by for me. Are we just tacking on these parts to better aid in ignition of E85?
Firehead640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #21
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead640 View Post
What kind of gains would we see WITHOUT the E85 tune? It seems to be an integral part of any list provided so far. On normal pump gas, it sounds like these mods will be lacking. I run 91 daily, and from what I'm seeing E85 is a little hard to come by for me. Are we just tacking on these parts to better aid in ignition of E85?
No, not tacking on the parts to aid ignition of E85. It's actually there for the much needed octane boost and lower combustion temps. Lower chance of detonation. Especially for someone limited to 91 gas, it's got very large benefits. E85 does everything better than 91/93 except availability and MPG.

Due to your 91 octane limits, I'd stay very conservative with the mods. Consider Meth injection in place of E85 and you'll be able to go as crazy as you want.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #22
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
No, not tacking on the parts to aid ignition of E85. It's actually there for the much needed octane boost and lower combustion temps. Lower chance of detonation. Especially for someone limited to 91 gas, it's got very large benefits. E85 does everything better than 91/93 except availability and MPG.

Due to your 91 octane limits, I'd stay very conservative with the mods. Consider Meth injection in place of E85 and you'll be able to go as crazy as you want.

^ This. Coming from a meth addict, I'd say go the meth route once you get to fueling upgrades.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #23
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Drives: White 2018 ZL1
Quote:

Thank you for the info
Firehead640 is offline   Reply With Quote