#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #15
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I agree, unfortunately. Why oh why would GM raise the bar and make something that would whoop the competition in every category? Nooo, lets just keep matching the previous generations acceleration performance and claim the other cars are one trick pony's and acceleration isn't the Camaros ultimate goal

It's frustrating knowing what they CAN do, but just choose not to. They have the potential to raise the bar and whoop the competition, but they just won't. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd certainly buy a LT5 ZL1 for maybe another 10k assuming it performs like I'm assuming an LT5 ZL1 would perform.
Yeah that's definitely what GM is doing. The last car they built that shattered the competition was in 2009 when the C6 ZR1 came out. Since then we pretty much keep up at best. The only good that you could pull from it is that, Chevy usually does it first. Meaning, they release the C7 Z06 that's the ground standard for affordable performance...But then the ACR comes out and shatters it. The ZL1 comes out in 2012 and beats all the muscle cars...but then the GT500 and Hellcats come out...In 2017 the ZL1 comes out again and matches the performance of the previous gens, though Hellcats are indeed still faster in a straight line and a properly driven GT500 will go right along with a M6 ZL1, Hell, Hellcats are faster than a stage 3 aero Z06 on the highway.

The red statement is pretty much the only argument Camaro5/6 use.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post

Still there are some doubts that they would let the Camaro match the Corvette top model. It was refreshing when the ZL1 got the same rating as the Z06, but I suspect they would let the Corvette have it's spotlight for a few years and by then the 6th gen may be almost done which would make it not really worth it to go through all the certification for a limited run of 750hp ZL1s. Bottom line who knows.
I thought they allowed internal competition now. The Corvette should no longer be limiting what they're allowed to do with the Camaro. If they are limited in that aspect, the Camaro top dog will never be completely competitive with the top dog mustang and Challenger.

Al O, if you're reading this, please consider an LT5 ZL1!
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
No way GM is going to touch that. That's not what they do. That would be perfection and a 2650 blower is what the LT4 should have had from the GET GO. I know some people don't see it the way the OP said it but once you're out on the street, it's how it is. The 5th ZL1 was the slowest of the 3, and the closest competitor was the earlier 550 HP GT500s. Now it would beat all 3 around a -track- but not on the street which is really the only way most owners can prove speed, which is why it's still very important.

Fast forward to the 6th gen ZL1 and it's the same story; it now competes with the previous gen GT500 (662) and the Hellcat. Neither of which have been refreshed and we'd better hold onto our asses when they do get refreshed, especially the GT500 as I expect it to combine the Handling of the GT350R or better and at least 700-800 HP.

So you say, well let's MOD the cars so we can surely blow away the GT500 (662) and the Hellcat...Ok, well, the LT4 pretty much makes zero power compared to the other two when modded. You're talking a Hellcat engine will make 850-950 RWHP on injectors, pulley, intake and E85. The LT4 won't make 800 RWHP on the stock blower let alone 850-950...So we could "cheat" and do a blower swap and put a ProCharger or Whipple etc. on there but that doesn't really compare anymore...There's a reason you see Chevy guys have to compare Vettes to the other Big 3's muscle cars.

There's no question GM/Chevy are building the best handling cars across their entire lineup in G6 and C7. But power wise, we're pretty down.

There's no way GM will put their LT5 halo engine into the Camaro. But I sure wish they would. GM screwed up big time with the LT4's way of making power (Wound up tiny blower that they couldn't cool, low fuel ceiling). And they screwed up again by putting it in the CTS-V3, ZL1, and Z06 and then letting the weight between the 3 decide which was faster. (Both the ZL1 and especially Z06 are too heavy, previous C6 Zs were 3100-3300 pounds whereas C7 Zs are about 3700 with a drive and fuel...).
Have you considered that they aren't able to spend money making both the best handling and most powerful car in its class, while selling it for the same price as the competition, without turning a profit?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
I wish GM would put the LT4 in a Silverado or an SUV. Just don’t see them doing this anytime soon if ever
3 years ago we never saw a 707 hp Jeep SUV either. GM needs to respond. Huge cash cow there.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #19
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Have you considered that they aren't able to spend money making both the best handling and most powerful car in its class, while selling it for the same price as the competition, without turning a profit?
I'd spend more on an LT5 powered ZL1. Should be close to Demon levels of acceleration on pump gas (808 hp vs 750 hp but the Camaro being lighter) plus with the great handling. 75k-80k would be a good price for such a car I think.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #20
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I get it that everyone wants more power. Even I do myself, but like I said earlier and Can'tHaveTooMuchHP reiterated, Chevy came out with the top dog at the time with each release. That's no different for the others. When their top car came out, it was at the top, at least in the straight line stuff, which means the most to the majority of us out there. It's a never ending cycle that I hope continues, because just 10 years ago, most of us would've never imagined we'd have the caliber of cars available that we do today. It's really amazing if you stop and think about it.

I really hope they make a ZL1 with the LT5 in the next couple of years, but if they don't, I'll still enjoy the ZL1 I have today just the same. Especially if Chevy gives us the drag setup soon. If you're reading Chevy, I will gladly volunteer my car for testing if I get to keep my warranty! If they don't give us an LT5 and Ford and Dodge come out with faster cars, if I'm not swayed to switch over to one of those, I'll mod my car to be faster than those, and have fun out running someone that thinks their new car is faster than mine. Kind of makes mine a sleeper in that sense, as long as I don't give it away with the sound of the car. Either way I will enjoy myself and whatever car I have.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
I get it that everyone wants more power. Even I do myself, but like I said earlier and Can'tHaveTooMuchHP reiterated, Chevy came out with the top dog at the time with each release. That's no different for the others. When their top car came out, it was at the top, at least in the straight line stuff, which means the most to the majority of us out there. It's a never ending cycle that I hope continues, because just 10 years ago, most of us would've never imagined we'd have the caliber of cars available that we do today. It's really amazing if you stop and think about it.

I really hope they make a ZL1 with the LT5 in the next couple of years, but if they don't, I'll still enjoy the ZL1 I have today just the same. Especially if Chevy gives us the drag setup soon. If you're reading Chevy, I will gladly volunteer my car for testing if I get to keep my warranty! If they don't give us an LT5 and Ford and Dodge come out with faster cars, if I'm not swayed to switch over to one of those, I'll mod my car to be faster than those, and have fun out running someone that thinks their new car is faster than mine. Kind of makes mine a sleeper in that sense, as long as I don't give it away with the sound of the car. Either way I will enjoy myself and whatever car I have.
The 6th gen isn't really "top dog," it just matches the acceleration performance of the competition. The Hellcat probably even edges it out slightly when it comes to straight line performance. I love the ZL1, and I was more impressed with it when seeing it in person and sitting in it. I just wish they hit the competition harder, something they won't be able to counter punch back with so hard that it knocks Chevy out of the ring, like with the 5th gen ZL1. I wish the ZL1 at least had more bolt on potential, but once bolt ons are applied to the ZL1 and the competition, the competition starts pulling ahead. An LT5 powered ZL1 would make no excuses, and destroy the competition in every single aspect, except maybe interior room. Anything they come out with would likely match the ZL1 in acceleration, at best.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #22
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I thought they allowed internal competition now. The Corvette should no longer be limiting what they're allowed to do with the Camaro. If they are limited in that aspect, the Camaro top dog will never be completely competitive with the top dog mustang and Challenger.

Al O, if you're reading this, please consider an LT5 ZL1!
They say that but the proof is they don’t actually allow it. Camaro is the handme down car. The Corvette has dictated all the performance powertrain development at GM. The LT1 is stuck with AFM, even for the manual cars. The LT4 is stuck with the tiny blower and AFM. There is no large displacement, high power n/a engine for a Z/28.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #23
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
GM Camaro division needs to abandon the Z28 = NA thing. It’s the best marketing trim level they have going for them. No new blood cares if Z28 was NA 50 years ago. To me it means, track ready.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote