#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spulbus2013 View Post
So once you get a big power adder where do you exactly plan to go? Honestly! It's been 4-5yrs this platforms been out (LT1/LT4) and no ones seriously supporting fueling that's affordable for the masses with serious results. Your fueling limit with Meth and cam and low side pump and all the tricks in the DI book have every one around the 750-800ish whp range, which is what the stock blower is maxing out at.

Soo why spend all this money to get another power adder that's able to push 1000+whp if u can't fuel it?

Port injection conversion is anywhere from the $8-12k+ range easily from the few shops I called on a simple procharger manifold, and I haven't seen honestly anyone running big numbers with that either (1000-1200whp+) or trapping what some of these shops suggest is 1000+whp.
Honestly, like 700ish rwhp, give or take. I know you can get there with the stock blower, but heat soak will almost certainly set in with spinning the stock blower that fast after a few passes.

Check out this video

After watching this and seeing how the ZL1 was relatively unfazed after all those pulls, I want to try to retain that ability while pushing around 650-700 rwhp on pump 93. If swapping the blower will help achieve that goal, then I'm game.

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 09-25-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
TheElementalCashew

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Honestly, like 700ish rwhp, give or take. I know you can get there with the stock blower, but heat soak will almost certainly set in with spinning the stock blower that fast after a few passes.

Check out this video

After watching this and seeing how the ZL1 was relatively unfazed after all those pulls, I want to try to retain that ability while pushing around 650-700 rwhp on pump 93. If swapping the blower will help achieve that goal, then I'm game.
I would think that goal would be easily possible with a Whipple and tune. You'd probably be running low boost, low rpm, and low temps, with lots of potential should you decide you want more power down the road.

Mods: Rotofab CAI, Tony Mamo TB, Kooks headers (green cats), 18% LPE lower pulley, E85/FlexFuel sensor. BC Forged RS41s (19x10, 19x12)/PS4S, R888R (305/325)
Dyno: E40: 661whp/703wtq, 93: 633whp/674wtq

TheElementalCashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm glad to see more options out there. At this point I think just about anything is a good upgrade over the 1.7 we have stock. I'm interested in seeing what the 2.3s, the Whipple 2.9s and 4.5s, and these new 2650s will do. That is without cams and ported heads and meth and E85. I wanna see how our engines respond to these blowers with nothing else except for maybe LTs and an intake!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #18
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElementalCashew View Post
I would think that goal would be easily possible with a Whipple and tune. You'd probably be running low boost, low rpm, and low temps, with lots of potential should you decide you want more power down the road.
Yeah it probably will, but the test I posted a link to shows you need about 17 lbs of boost with the Whipple to get there. Seems like a big increase over stock boost levels for another 80 rwhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm glad to see more options out there. At this point I think just about anything is a good upgrade over the 1.7 we have stock. I'm interested in seeing what the 2.3s, the Whipple 2.9s and 4.5s, and these new 2650s will do. That is without cams and ported heads and meth and E85. I wanna see how our engines respond to these blowers with nothing else except for maybe LTs and an intake!!
Exactly, every modded ZL1 I find on youtube either has heads and cam done, or just exhaust with no tune. Nothing in between, except for the one Hennessey video of their HPE 750 package.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #19
Steve @ WEAPON_X

Drives: Compound Boost 17' ZL1 (shop car)
Quote:
Has anybody heard anything about the 2650?
The 2650 is going to be in the C7 ZR1.

Quote:
So once you get a big power adder where do you exactly plan to go? Honestly! It's been 4-5yrs this platforms been out (LT1/LT4) and no ones seriously supporting fueling that's affordable for the masses with serious results. Your fueling limit with Meth and cam and low side pump and all the tricks in the DI book have every one around the 750-800ish whp range, which is what the stock blower is maxing out at.

Soo why spend all this money to get another power adder that's able to push 1000+whp if u can't fuel it?

Port injection conversion is anywhere from the $8-12k+ range easily from the few shops I called on a simple procharger manifold, and I haven't seen honestly anyone running big numbers with that either (1000-1200whp+) or trapping what some of these shops suggest is 1000+whp.
We've made 1000+whp on 93/meth on several LT4 cars. Meth was used as a fuel supplement, along with the best DI fueling options out there for the GEN5 engines.

By the end of the year we should have our fuel system on the market that will support 1400whp+ for about half of that "$8-12k+ cost". We are currently installing it on our Weapon-X shop A10 ZL1 now.

Quote:

Check out this video

You can make 680-700whp on just a Whipple/Intake/Tune/cat delete or cat upgrade. To safely accomplish in low 700whp range, you will need to upgrade the HPFP and lowside fuel system, or spray meth.
Steve @ WEAPON_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie @ WEAPON_X View Post

We've made 1000+whp on 93/meth on several LT4 cars. Meth was used as a fuel supplement, along with the best DI fueling options out there for the GEN5 engines.

By the end of the year we should have our fuel system on the market that will support 1400whp+ for about half of that "$8-12k+ cost". We are currently installing it on our Weapon-X shop A10 ZL1 now.

You can make 680-700whp on just a Whipple/Intake/Tune/cat delete or cat upgrade. To safely accomplish in low 700whp range, you will need to upgrade the HPFP and lowside fuel system, or spray meth.
So crazy.

I made 700 wheel with ID1000s, e85, and a 2.3 TVS on the Coyote. That's $10k right there, sure, but you're talking $10k for just the head unit and fuel system.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:

It's hard to beat an Eaton for 100,000 mile reliability. If its going on the next ZR1 it should be available from GMPP within 2 years.

Reliable fuel systems are this platform's current Achillle's heel.

Quote:
To safely accomplish in low 700whp range, you will need to upgrade the HPFP and lowside fuel system, or spray meth.
What safe guards are available for when the meth tank runs dry or the meth pump fails?
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #22
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedhead View Post
So crazy.

I made 700 wheel with ID1000s, e85, and a 2.3 TVS on the Coyote. That's $10k right there, sure, but you're talking $10k for just the head unit and fuel system.
One thing I'll give Coyotes (the new ones) is that they do good with boost. A friend of mine made 715 to the wheels on a Paxton Novi 2200 blower on 93 octane. However at that much power things start to break...like the clutch, trans, and possibly engine components. I would be hesitant to push one that far. The ZL1 however can handle that easily and soo much more without the extra cost of upgrading other stuff. And it'll get that power to the ground effectively as it is. My friend had to upgrade lots of stuff on the GT to handle the power.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #23
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
One thing I'll give Coyotes (the new ones) is that they do good with boost. A friend of mine made 715 to the wheels on a Paxton Novi 2200 blower on 93 octane. However at that much power things start to break...like the clutch, trans, and possibly engine components. I would be hesitant to push one that far. The ZL1 however can handle that easily and soo much more without the extra cost of upgrading other stuff. And it'll get that power to the ground effectively as it is. My friend had to upgrade lots of stuff on the GT to handle the power.
Bone stock motor. Eventually, did the OPG and Crank Sprocket. That was with a VMP Boost A Pump, too.

Trans was iffy, for sure. Clutch went after about 18 months, so swapped to the RXT and a one piece drive shaft.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #24
Steve @ WEAPON_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlhay2 View Post
It's hard to beat an Eaton for 100,000 mile reliability. If its going on the next ZR1 it should be available from GMPP within 2 years.

Reliable fuel systems are this platform's current Achillle's heel.

What safe guards are available for when the meth tank runs dry or the meth pump fails?
The ZL1 LT4 blower and C7 LT4 blower have a different snout offset, if you were wanting to put the ZR1 2650 on your ZL1 it would not be as simple of a swap as some would think.

We use a low level sensor with a light on any meth kit install to warn you when the tank is low. If the pump fails the meth activation light will notify the driver it is not spraying. If driver of the car is spraying meth, that light should become a second nature for driver just like the other engine parameters you monitor while driving.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #25
Steve @ WEAPON_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedhead View Post
So crazy.

Earlier this year I drove a '15 GT with a TVS on it making similar power. I was jaw dropped at how fast it was on the street. The powerband is so different from the LS/LT cars I'm used to it driving, it felt like the rpm's had no limit.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #26
Spulbus2013

Drives: 13 Boss 302 TT, C7
Quote:

This seems interesting I'll keep my eyes open for this one. How are you liking the A10, seems like it'll hold some power 1000+whp in stock form? Is Circle D developing any torque converters for them yet? Or are y'all just gonna run a stock converter on ur current build? Thanks,
Spulbus2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #27
Steve @ WEAPON_X

Quote:
This seems interesting I'll keep my eyes open for this one. How are you liking the A10, seems like it'll hold some power 1000+whp in stock form? Is Circle D developing any torque converters for them yet? Or are y'all just gonna run a stock converter on ur current build? Thanks,
We love it. It is a huge improvement over the A8, the paddle shifter are much more responsive, it shifts ridiculously fast. I believe it will hold the power, hopefully we'll be testing it's limits over the next few weeks. I'm not sure whether Circle D has anything out yet for them. We are going to run the stock converter on ours for now.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #28
Spulbus2013

Drives: 13 Boss 302 TT, C7
Nice man, hope everything goes as planned and y'all can post some seriously insane numbers for this new ZL1.
Spulbus2013 is offline   Reply With Quote