Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #29
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Don't mean to derail my own thread lol, but having owned them all, if you could only own one, which would you pick?
I'd guess that 98% of the threads here get derailed at some point. For practicality reasons I would keep the HC if I could own only one. As much as I like the ZL1, it just isn't a practical car for every day life. For example, I travel a lot. I can't fit suitcases in the ZL1. If I have a lot of groceries they can't all fit in the ZL1. So for those reasons I would choose the Hellcat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
LoL says the guy stating a Furd is "better in every way" on a Chevrolet forum
Go back and re-read my comments. I never said that. But trust me, if I really did think that, I would have no problem saying it here or anywhere else.

Quote:
Pull in what anything after the quarter mile? Their times are damn near identical, what are you doing racing to 200 mph when it has a chance to catch up? I know those statements may hurt your feelings, and you'll call me a troll but those are the facts......
Why would you think your personal preference hurts my feelings? That is pretty immature. Hey, you're not a fan of the GT500. That's your thing. I wasn't for years. I was the biggest hater of this car. You obviously don't know my reputation around here but go to the VS section and look back at all my comments from 2017 to now. Trust me, I have said more about these cars than you. There are several members here who can vouch for that. And I know more about these cars than you. So you talking trash about the GT500 doesn't bother me one bit. It ain't for everyone. I mean, we all have our preferences. I wouldn't have wasted my time and money doing those little mods you did to your ZL1 but that's MY preference. I had the money to afford some real mods so that was the route I took. Your budget is different than mine so you did what little you could. I wouldn't have gone that route but like I said, preference.
Quote:
Seems to be how things go whenever you're "contributing" in a thread on here....
I made comments directly related to the thread. OP himself noticed my cars and asked me about them. So my answers are contributing to the thread. Nobody is doing anything wrong here. If I came on here talking about my cars then yes, that would be derailing the thread.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:35 AM   #30
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'd guess that 98% of the threads here get derailed at some point. For practicality reasons I would keep the HC if I could own only one. As much as I like the ZL1, it just isn't a practical car for every day life. For example, I travel a lot. I can't fit suitcases in the ZL1. If I have a lot of groceries they can't all fit in the ZL1. So for those reasons I would choose the Hellcat.

Go back and re-read my comments. I never said that. But trust me, if I really did think that, I would have no problem saying it here or anywhere else.

Why would you think your personal preference hurts my feelings? That is pretty immature. Hey, you're not a fan of the GT500. That's your thing. I wasn't for years. I was the biggest hater of this car. You obviously don't know my reputation around here but go to the VS section and look back at all my comments from 2017 to now. Trust me, I have said more about these cars than you. There are several members here who can vouch for that. And I know more about these cars than you. So you talking trash about the GT500 doesn't bother me one bit. It ain't for everyone. I mean, we all have our preferences. I wouldn't have wasted my time and money doing those little mods you did to your ZL1 but that's MY preference. I had the money to afford some real mods so that was the route I took. Your budget is different than mine so you did what little you could. I wouldn't have gone that route but like I said, preference.

I made comments directly related to the thread. OP himself noticed my cars and asked me about them. So my answers are contributing to the thread. Nobody is doing anything wrong here. If I came on here talking about my cars then yes, that would be derailing the thread.
Thanks for the input. I'm not bias with the cars. I wish I could own all 3, but I have to pick one. The GT500 just happens to be exactly as fast as I want it in stock form, so I'd be able to buy it, get an extended warranty and just simply enjoy it. I also like the more roomy feeling cockpit and better visibility. I had a 2014 GT500 as well which was awesome, and the newer one seems to improve upon everything of the older one. The ZL1, I love the chassis, the seats, the "fighter jet" feel. Just wish it had a bit more oomph. I love the Hellcat looks also, and the powerhouse of an engine.

One thing I personally like about the ZL1 and GT500 over the Hellcat is the fact that the engine and car are made in the USA. The plaque with the engine builder on the engine is an awesome touch. The Hellcats are made in Canada and the engines are made in Mexico.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #31
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
LoL says the guy stating a Furd is "better in every way" on a Chevrolet forum
No offense, but you sound like those teens on you tube comments either making fun of Chevys or Fords.

Making fun of someone because he owns a “Furd” just shows your immaturity. He was asked a question and gave a genuine answer.

You just simply didn’t like what he had to say so you made fun of his “Furd”

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think there is a strong possibility the car might not even allow you to increase power (torque) with those kinds of airflow mods'. These cars can restrict STOCK power in some situations (I'm not talking about TCS/Stability Control). It might limit torque output in some scenarios, which would negate any modifications that could increase torque, like improving airflow, for example.

Maybe it ran well for a few runs in those vidoes, but we don't know the whole story, because the videos don't portray the whole story. I know A10s have torque limits in at least (2) gears [I just can't remember for sure off the top of my head]. Adding anything the ECM will calculate to make more torque will likely make it start pulling timing or closing the throttle to where it thinks the torque should be.

My point is: it's likely the scenario you're looking for isn't common because it won't work effectively. You gotta' pay to play...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #33
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm not bias with the cars. I wish I could own all 3, but I have to pick one. The GT500 just happens to be exactly as fast as I want it in stock form, so I'd be able to buy it, get an extended warranty and just simply enjoy it. I also like the more roomy feeling cockpit and better visibility. I had a 2014 GT500 as well which was awesome, and the newer one seems to improve upon everything of the older one. The ZL1, I love the chassis, the seats, the "fighter jet" feel. Just wish it had a bit more oomph. I love the Hellcat looks also, and the powerhouse of an engine.

One thing I personally like about the ZL1 and GT500 over the Hellcat is the fact that the engine and car are made in the USA. The plaque with the engine builder on the engine is an awesome touch. The Hellcats are made in Canada and the engines are made in Mexico.
I consider myself lucky to be able to have all 3 of these cars especially considering how things are these days. But you really did make a good choice with the ZL1. Like I said, the performance you get out the box is unreal.

Speaking of the engine tho, and going back to your first post, the biggest issue with the ZL1 is the stock blower...secondary would be the cam and heads. GM did not build this car with much room to expand on. The blower is only 1.7 liters. And GM did a great job taking those Eaton units and modifying them to flow as well as (if not more than) the bigger blowers that came on the 5th Gen ZL1. However they were content with using just enough to achieve their goals and keep the costs down. On the other hand the HC has a much larger 2.4 liter blower. And the GT500 has a 2650 stock. Both of those cars can achieve well into the 700 RWHP range on just a pulley and tune. You need soo much more to get the ZL1 to those levels. And there are GT500s and HCs hitting over 900 to the wheels on stock cam, stock blower, stock exhaust manifolds...my build list for my GT500 will put me around 850+ RWHP on just boltons including ported blower. So you can see why those who want huge power gains typically gravitate towards an aftermarket blower for the Zl1.

The issue is that you're just looking for about 40 more HP. That is going to be difficult, if not impossible, without tuning. However once you are ready to tune then you can easily achieve an extra 40 HP with just LTs, pulley, and tune. Or instead of a pulley you could then do the ported blower, LTs, intake, and tune. So it might be a matter of just waiting until you are ready to tune. because these stock ZL1s are wrung tight from the factory. To get any real additional power means voiding the warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
No offense, but you sound like those teens on you tube comments either making fun of Chevys or Fords.

Making fun of someone because he owns a “Furd” just shows your immaturity. He was asked a question and gave a genuine answer.

You just simply didn’t like what he had to say so you made fun of his “Furd”
He didn't even get it right because I never even said that. He's just looking to start trouble and I have had enough of people like that.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #34
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I think there is a strong possibility the car might not even allow you to increase power (torque) with those kinds of airflow mods'. These cars can restrict STOCK power in some situations (I'm not talking about TCS/Stability Control). It might limit torque output in some scenarios, which would negate any modifications that could increase torque, like improving airflow, for example.

Maybe it ran well for a few runs in those vidoes, but we don't know the whole story, because the videos don't portray the whole story. I know A10s have torque limits in at least (2) gears [I just can't remember for sure off the top of my head]. Adding anything the ECM will calculate to make more torque will likely make it start pulling timing or closing the throttle to where it thinks the torque should be.

My point is: it's likely the scenario you're looking for isn't common because it won't work effectively. You gotta' pay to play...
Exactly. Either what you said...or the vehicle will just throw itself into Limp Mode if it senses too much air flow from the ported blower. The only way to get power out of these cars these days is to tune it and void the warranty.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #35
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that a stock ZL1 will outrun or even keep up with a stock GT500 in the 1/4, or I have misunderstood your debate?
You didn't misunderstand anything the times are what they are.

10.6-GT500
11.0-ZL1

And if I was spending over 100K on a Furd I would be pissed if the race was even that close. At those times above, its about the reaction times, and like I said if I'm spending 6 figures on a car it shouldn't be that close.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:36 PM   #36
clg82

Quote:

LoL this guy......
Old 05-04-2022, 12:41 PM   #37
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

Amen.....but we didn't get real mods, or our budget was different so we did "what little we could"

Quote:

Old 05-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #38
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
You didn't misunderstand anything the times are what they are.

10.6-GT500
11.0-ZL1

And if I was spending over 100K on a Furd I would be pissed if the race was even that close. At those times above, its about the reaction times, and like I said if I'm spending 6 figures on a car it shouldn't be that close.
.4 in the 1/4 is nothing to sneeze at when you're in the 10 second range. .4 doesn't matter a lot when you're in the 15 second range. That being said, the trap speeds show the power difference and its significant. Regardless of what you think the GT500 is a good bit quicker in stock form and that power difference shows itself even more the further you go. Look at the time delta up to 150mph. The GT500 struggles with traction in stock form more than the ZL1 does because it makes so much more power and only wears a 315 rear tire. With traction, that .4 difference in the 1/4 becomes much greater.

All this being said, it takes nothing from the fact that you can buy a ZL1 considerably cheaper and if you're willing to throw away your warranty, you can mod one to 700whp and blow the doors off a GT500 and still save money over buying a GT500. However, none of this changes the fact that the GT500 is noticeably quicker than a ZL1 in stock trim.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #39
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm not sure what's going on around here lately, but we all need to take a step back, take a breath, and be more respectful of each other. This isn't about being a softy snowflake, or whatever. This is about keeping OUR Community healthy. The reasons for any of the posts that are happening don't matter.

WE ALL (including me) NEED TO DO OUR PART TO KEEP COMMENTS RESPECTFUL. Please do that. So many of you contribute SO MUCH knowledge through your experiences, failures, wins, etc. I've learned so much from many of you. It's not fun if Admin/Mods have to come in and shut a bunch of threads down or giving out infractions.

Please take more time to think about what you're posting before sending. If you need to report someone, please do. We don't want trolls, and I don't think any of you are. Please do it for the Community.

Respectfully...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote