Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
2012...Upgrade to Mylink or aftermarket?

I have a 2012 with no Mylink but I do have a sub using the Ole FARK 2irh aftermarket amp and speakers but stock wiring.

Anywho, I rented an impalla this weekend with Mylink and I loved the integration to my phone via Bluetooth. It didn't have a picture of an actual map, but otherwise phone, GPS, text, and audio (android) were all far and away better than what the 2012 has.

So my question is really if it's worth to upgrade and how difficult the newer Mylink from my dranconian system? Or should I get a new aftermarket head unit for similar pricing but likely better features/sound? One thing I hate more than anything is that my BT is still stuck in adpd or whatever it is, so my sub barely plays at all over BT. I'd really like to get to aptx or whatever the new codec is. Does Mylink even use that? Thanks for the help, and if you've gone through this yourself, please feel free to recommend a head unit if not the Mylink. Thanks!
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Well the Mylink system, when it works is nice but so many people have complained about it on here. I was gonna go that route but by the time you are done getting all the parts and such you could buy a very nice aftermarket piece. Also, PAC now has an excellent mount for aftermarket. Also, you always end up with better sound out of a good quality aftermarket system over a factory piece.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Only reason to go Mylink is oem look.

Even the pac audio kit doesn't have the oem feel even though it recycles the control dials.

There once was an android unit that tried to mimic the oem feel but had horrible placement of dials.

Personally I went mylink but it lacks a bunch. I am hoping to source another Mylink screen so I can do some modification tests. Basically I want to be able to use a mylink bezel and screen with a android unit as operating system.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I just ordered this JVC , JVC KW-V940BW DVD Receiver over the weekend along with a backup camera to replace a Kenwood DDX492 DVD Receiver that I installed when I first got my Camaro. I've enjoyed the Kenwood hoping the JCV is even better . The JVC has all the options I want at least that's a plus.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I just ordered this JVC , JVC KW-V940BW DVD Receiver over the weekend along with a backup camera to replace a Kenwood DDX492 DVD Receiver that I installed when I first got my Camaro. I've enjoyed the Kenwood hoping the JCV is even better . The JVC has all the options I want at least that's a plus.
I too went with a JVC after all, but I went with the 830BT model. I also got the PAC unit. I wound up spending $650 total on Amazon with tax. I mean, seems like a good deal when you consider the MyLink upgrade package for our cars sells online for like $1,500. My biggest concern was really the non-stock look, I've had too many cars broken into because of obvious aftermarket receivers that can be seen from outside. This PAC unit though makes it look pretty stealth, although I am going to find some way to cover up the "JVC" on my receiver so that it will not be visible.

Last edited by kiteman; 04-12-2018 at 11:30 AM.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
Ponchonutty

I own a mobile aftermarket company and use a lot of ADS/Compustar stuff. They are now working on a radio kit. I’m on the list to do some r&d. They are working on the tooling as I type this. I love their stuff because it is like no other! You can see a lot of data from ththe pcm/bcm and even reset CEL. https://www.compustar.com/live/wp-co...2015_08_lo.pdf
Old 04-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
I own a mobile aftermarket company and use a lot of ADS/Compustar stuff. They are now working on a radio kit. I’m on the list to do some r&d. They are working on the tooling as I type this. I love their stuff because it is like no other! You can see a lot of data from ththe pcm/bcm and even reset CEL. https://www.compustar.com/live/wp-co...2015_08_lo.pdf
It would be nice if the Maestro unit was compatible with our cars . I wanted to pick one up and install it with the JVC. Ctrutchfield says it's not compatible with my car and or the headunit . Not sure which to be honest.

Last edited by 1Coopgt; 04-14-2018 at 06:15 PM.
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
Ponchonutty

Quote:
It would be nice if the Maestro unit was compatible with our cars . I wanted to pick one up and install it with the JVC. Ctrutchfield says it's not compatible with my car and or the headunit . Not sure which to be honest.
Technically they have the cables and software, just not the mount.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #9
TXhogghunter

Drives: GTO
Quote:
Hey Coop, does this radio retain all the factory wheel controls?
TXhogghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
"upgrading" to a mylink is a complete waste of time and money
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote