Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Sat in Camaro today, some disappointment

While you read this you must know I bleed Chevy blue, however I refuse to drink the fanboy koolaid.

My past cars that I've owned:
1969 Z-28 DZ motor etc.
1970 1/2 Camaro RS
1970 Chevelle SS
1972 Chevelle SS
1983/84 Camaro Z-28 305-ho LOL!!

After those years I felt the Camaro's got bloated and sticker graphic busy. However some of the motors ran like raped apes...

Fast forward to the past 2 yrs. I wanted a muscle car. To me there are only 2 to choose from, the Chally and the Camaro. The Mustang just felt like a tin box when I drove it. Still being a Chevy blue guy all my life I could not bring myself to buy a Chally when the Camaro was coming out a year later.

So I waited.......Pre-order program started and I ordered just like the rest of us. We went by pictures and looking at the car from a distance at the shows.

Until today I only had 2 gripes with the Camaro, and gripes from pictures.

1-Gas filler on the wrong side of the car.
2-Black wire loom in the trunk.

TODAY was the BIG day!! I left the wife and kids at home so I can have peace and quiet so I can soak up all the Camaro juices...Sitting in the car brought back the good old days. There are TONS of positives about the car that we all know and agree on but there are some things that SCREAM "CHEAP" about the Interior.

Remember, I bleed Chevy blue and I will call a spade a spade. I thank the God above for my family, health and good fortune thoughout my life. I'm blessed and done well. I know the value of a buck and if I wanted a vette I would have bought one. To me 38K is alot of money. Don't tell me, "oh hey the car is cheap, its only 38K".

Today, after I sat in the car at the Ft.Lauderdale show I have 3 more gripes.

1-The ip is hard plastic, not like the cushion dash like most other cars today like the Malibu.

2-What were they thinking......If you are sitting in the passenger seat and want to let the person in the back seat out, its a 2 step operation. Even the colbalt has a 1 step slide. Make matters worse, the passenger seat is half power, only power is recline. Don't tell me the back seat is only for show, if its only show why put it there? It has a back seat and I want to use it otherwise I'd buy a Vette.

3-No light for vanity mirrors.

This car costs 38K, how much did Chevy really save by the above cost cutting measures?
Bean counters say if we save a dime here times 80,000 cars thats alot of profit. but guess what, you can cut costs TOO MUCH and there will be no volume...:(

I will return to the show tomorrow for a second look and sad to say I will spend some time in the SRT-8.

=bobby

Last edited by bobby35ny; 03-13-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Don't provoke other members.
bobby35ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Let me be perfectly clear. If we have another thread like the V6 thread we just cleaned up, people will be banned.

Respectfully disagree with eachother. If the debates/arguments reach a stalemate then agree to disagree and move on.

Remember this thread when posting.

Everyone Please Read!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
well if u like the SRT tank then i will ignore this post
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Seriously? Those are your gripes - non-padded dash, poor access to the backseat and no lighted vanity mirrors? No offense but OMFG!

EDIT: I was going to type more but in light of gtahvit's post, I won't. The things you seem to care about are so far down my list of things I care about in a car that I guess I just can't relate to where your comments are coming from.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
That's it? No flaming necessary... I can live with these

Although I do agree about the gas cap... that has been bugging me for quite some time. I've owned cars with it on each side though, so I'm sure I will get used to it just fine. In fact, I think I'll like it even better, come to think of it... one time I parked a little too close to the brick pillar by a pump, and the wind flung my door open into the bricks... so now I won't have to worry about it

As for the mirrors, I've never once used one on a visor... so I won't miss it at all. Plus you have your dome lights, so no worries there.

I'm not sure what the "black wire loom in the trunk" is though. Is this the cargo net? If so, that's an option I believe. Or if you're talking about the visible tube that encases the wires... again, oh well... you will hardly ever see that!

The passenger seat thing does concern me though, albeit only slightly. What does this 2-step process involve? I'm curious. I do think it's funny (but sometimes kind of annoying) when people can't figure out how to get out of my back seat though, hehe...

All in all, these seem like pretty minor complaints (at least in my eyes). Every single car I've had always has at least a few things that bug me, regardless of how great all of the other features are. And it's always different in different cars... I don't think any car will ever have everything "just right" for everyone. But, if this is all you've got so far, I'm sure you will not be disappointed with your Camaro.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
You're thoughts and opinions are welcome from this, "fanboy".

The Camaro you sat in is not "production". Now I don't know if those issue's you have will be addressed in the actual production model, we'll see.

Assuming they remain the same, so be it. Personally, there are a few minor things I'd have done differently, or would have liked to seen done differently. But as I've heard Scott say on numerous occassions, "You're not going to please everyone."

Personally, I very happy with the overall results. And I'm happy GM brought the Camaro back!

So, yes, I'm proud to say, "I am a Camaro/GM fanboy", who drinks the "koolaid" - but I am still able to be objective, and I'm still able to accept and respect others complaints.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
What's the two step operation for the seat? Isn't it just lift the lever on the back seat and climb in? or are you adding move the seat forward as well? I don't think you'd always have to move the seat forward to get in. I can't see how such small issues will sway you to going with a Chally. I encourage you to spend as much time researching/obsessing over that car as you have the camaro and I'm sure you'll find lots of gripes about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
The Camaro you sat in is not "production". Now I don't know if those issue's you have will be addressed in the actual production model, we'll see.
These things aren't changing. These are production-intent.

Last edited by UCF w00t; 03-12-2009 at 10:32 PM.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Let me be perfectly clear. If we have another thread like the V6 thread we just cleaned up, people will be banned.

Respectfully disagree with eachother. If the debates/arguments reach a stalemate then agree to disagree and move on.

Everyone Please Read!

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
undrcop2010

Drives: 1LT/RS SIM
My car has a few things that bug me but i dont get in the car everytime and dwell on them, just learn to live with it, my likes for the car far exceed my dislikes....the seat thing kinda crappy though..lol
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
While you read this you must know I bleed Chevy blue, however I refuse to drink the fanboy koolaid.

...Today, after I sat in the car at the Ft.Lauderdale show I have 3 more gripes.

1-The ip is hard plastic, not like the cushion dash like most other cars today like the Malibou.

2-What were they thinking......If you are sitting in the passenger seat and want to let the person in the back seat out, its a 2 step operation. Even the colbalt has a 1 step slide. Make matters worse, the passenger seat is half power, only power is recline. Don't tell me the back seat is only for show, if its only show why put it there? It has a back seat and I want to use it otherwise I'd buy a Vette.

3-No light for vanity mirrors.

You are well within your rights to voice your opinions. While I have seen the car in person (back in Sept), the one I observed was locked. I'm not a big fan of the dash either BUT I could care less if the car dash had nothing but a readable speedo and a tach in it. For me, it's all about first, what the EXTERIOR looks like, then, having passed that test, what's under the hood, followed by a comfortable (power or not) driver's seat. Everything else is "fluff" to me. Lights in the vanity mirrors? I don't plan on putting makeup on in the car; hopefully not anywhere else for that matter. Map lights? That would be a different story. I would assume it has those? I would whole heartedly agree with your assessment however regarding entering/exiting the back seat if that is indeed the case. I'm hoping that when all is said and done, I'm comfortable with the interior in relation to the GTO I just gave back (Smartbuy). That was BY FAR the nicest interior of any vehicle, GM or otherwise, I have ever owned. Power seats moved at a snail's pace was my only complaint. Just my .02

Last edited by trm0002; 03-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
[QUOTE=UCF w00t;334416]What's the two step operation for the seat? Isn't it just lift the lever on the back seat and climb in? or are you adding move the seat forward as well? I don't think you'd always have to move the seat forward to get in.

YUP, 2 steps, flip the seat back forward and THEN reach in almost to the center console and move the seat up. the Cobalt is one step.

If the car cost 20K It wouldnt be an issue.....

=bobby

don't worry mods, I'm a civil guy..
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
how was the view? I remember I sat in a 4th gen a while back ( I haven't gown much since then) and remember the seat was really low. Now the seat could have been like that because that's the way the driver had it (I was checking out a customers car) or they are all like that. I don't know if all camaro seats are low or just that once, so I'll ask here.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I'll be there tomorrow as well and I'll have to see it for myself.

I think the mirror lights are only for cars with sunroofs, but there has to be some other type of dome light. Again I'll see for myself tomorrow if thats true or not with the sunroof model.

For me, ANYTHING is better than the car I have now or ride in!!!(friends cars)
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post

Everyone Please Read!
Perfect way to be proactive. i hope I don't get banned...

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote