Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #113
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Manual EVERYTHING. It's a shame you can't get a nice GM 1/2 ton pickup with a manual transmission any more...

This times a katrillion
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #114
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Manuals are for people who like holding sticks in their hand...
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #115
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I not sure how many car shows ive been to where ive been admiring the chevelle ss 396s ..with auto...or the many 383 roadrunners..oh lets not forget that hemi in that 70 cuda.Yes alot of old muscle with automatics. Im thinking this conversation has been going on for decades....in the parking lot of many driveins..or burger places. I could live with either one. But own an auto because thats what i wanted. That v8 sounds good either way.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #116
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
It has NO effect on mpg on the camaro. As far as the trucks are concerned? No idea.
There have been rather extensive tests conducted in other threads on this site which have confirmed that not only don't you take a hit on MPG with AFM disabled, in some cases, you actually get BETTER MPG with the RANGE installed.

Driving up and down hilly terrain, where the 4 cylinder struggles just before it shifts back to 8 cylinder mode might be one explanation.

AFM does little to nothing to improve gas mileage in the Camaro...sad, but apparently true...sad because it most certainly does have a noticeable affect on performance (in terms of feeling/hearing the AFM kick in, and not just when you are cruising at highway speeds...if it ONLY did that, it would be tolerable).
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #117
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The LS3 cars have a secret feature that the L99s don't have. When you sign for the car the dealer shows you how to use it. I can't tell you what it is. It's a secret.
Some secret! When you sign for the car the dealer shows you the secret compartment in the glove box. In there is a small leather covered book titled "101 Excuses Why My Manual Just Got Smoked By An Automatic". And it is not really a secret, us automatic guys have been hearing all 101 of them for years.

SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #118
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPace View Post
There have been rather extensive tests conducted in other threads on this site which have confirmed that not only don't you take a hit on MPG with AFM disabled, in some cases, you actually get BETTER MPG with the RANGE installed.

Driving up and down hilly terrain, where the 4 cylinder struggles just before it shifts back to 8 cylinder mode might be one explanation.

AFM does little to nothing to improve gas mileage in the Camaro...sad, but apparently true...sad because it most certainly does have a noticeable affect on performance (in terms of feeling/hearing the AFM kick in, and not just when you are cruising at highway speeds...if it ONLY did that, it would be tolerable).
Have it on our Suburban. No effect on MPG. Actually went up a little for first few months according to the computer, now same as usual 13.4. Lifter noise at startup has gone away - I think we caught it in time (70k miles).
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #119
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
Some secret! When you sign for the car the dealer shows you the secret compartment in the glove box. In there is a small leather covered book titled "101 Excuses Why My Manual Just Got Smoked By An Automatic". And it is not really a secret, us automatic guys have been hearing all 101 of them for years.

As far as covering short distances in straight lines as quickly as possible is concerned, the writing was on the wall at least 45 years ago if you were paying any attention at all.

Just for some of us die-hard MT fans, that's never been a good enough reason to sway the decision.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #120
nvofevery1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 6 Sp Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Manual EVERYTHING. It's a shame you can't get a nice GM 1/2 ton pickup with a manual transmission any more...
Always a manual! It's the difference between driving a car vs. just steering one!

nvofevery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #121
guthix

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/Black stripes
manual for me idk why everyone thinks its such a hassle when its really not. If you cant be bothered to learn how to feather the clutch out of first gear than your just lazy to me lol. This camaro was my first daily driver manual car and it took me no time at all to learn the feel of my clutch. The only time it was ever bothersome was when i drive home from a car show at the shore and was stuck in 2 hours of traffic on the ride home. other than that manual is a joy to drive.

and just gotta throw this out there for all those saying auto is better when your woman is in the car i call BS. Not to be disrespectful but i bet your wives prob wouldn't even do such things and your talking out of your ass lol. my girlfriend did all the time in my truck(i found a good one) but don't get me wrong its very enjoyable but to me i can wait to get home to really enjoy her company lol.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #122
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I am curious why you would want to get worse mileage when you have the ability to get more? Its not like performance is a huge issue traveling down the interstate at 75 - 80 mph.
Not for my car. I have an LS3 if you notice. It's for the truck. I want better mpgs going back n forth to work. When I need the power, I'll unplug it. I'll go with the V4 chip which makes it run 60-80% in 4 cylinders.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #123
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthix View Post
manual for me idk why everyone thinks its such a hassle when its really not. If you cant be bothered to learn how to feather the clutch out of first gear than your just lazy to me lol. This camaro was my first daily driver manual car and it took me no time at all to learn the feel of my clutch. The only time it was ever bothersome was when i drive home from a car show at the shore and was stuck in 2 hours of traffic on the ride home. other than that manual is a joy to drive.

and just gotta throw this out there for all those saying auto is better when your woman is in the car i call BS. Not to be disrespectful but i bet your wives prob wouldn't even do such things and your talking out of your ass lol. my girlfriend did all the time in my truck(i found a good one) but don't get me wrong its very enjoyable but to me i can wait to get home to really enjoy her company lol.
Tell her I said hi....
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #124
guthix

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Tell her I said hi....

Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #125
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car