Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Spiffyguitar

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cross drilled rotors

So I've been looking for my next mod, and I would like to swap out my rotors for some cross drilled with stainless steel lines. So far I've really only been able to find Brembo's. I'm not against buying Brembo rotors, but I'm not a huge fan of the gold color.

So is anyone running different cross drilled rotors that they recommend? If so, where did you buy them?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
Luvpilot

Drives: GM
Stillen slotted\cross drilled here.
Hawk ceramics and SS lines.

In case you really wanna stop, like right freaking now
Luvpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Carbon fiber rotors for stopping right now!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Spiffyguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvpilot View Post
Stillen slotted\cross drilled here.
Hawk ceramics and SS lines.

In case you really wanna stop, like right freaking now
Nice... I completely forgot about Stillen! They use to mostly do import stuff I believe, but I know they make a quality product. Did you go with the slotted and cross drilled? Your setup is exactly what I think I want to go for. Did you go front and rear, or just front?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Spiffyguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM/2SS/RS/6MT View Post
Carbon fiber rotors for stopping right now!!!
Do you mean carbon ceramic? Those things are awesome... just a little too much for this guy to spend.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
I just put my Stillen rotors on today, slotted/cross drilled.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar View Post
Nice... I completely forgot about Stillen! They use to mostly do import stuff I believe, but I know they make a quality product.
A lot of people still think that. Stillen has been doing brake upgrades (among many other performance modifications) for GM vehicles since the early 90's.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...s/stillen.html

I could probably post images of the heavily modified Astro vans from back in the day, but I don't know if anyone just ate! Those were mostly shipped to Japan when the craze was in full swing.

The 5th Gen. is just the latest platform to receive some love. The Corvettes have been getting it since the C5 came out.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
busaboy

Drives: Black RS/SS M6
I recently installed slotted rotors on my wifes TBSS. I paid a little extra to have them cryogenically treated as I have heard good things about this treatment. So far I'm happy. After proper pad wear in I have made a few hard stops and brakes feel good but I am also interested in rotor life which this treatment is supposed to help.
For pads I went with EBC as I run the on my Busa and love them.
I read on one of the threads JusticePete disagreed with running drilled or slotted rotors as this decreased the amount of rotor surface available for heat transfer and with newer pad technology drilled and/or slotted aren't necessary.

Last edited by busaboy; 07-27-2010 at 09:36 PM.
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
I read on one of the threads JusticePete disagreed with running drilled or slotted rotors as this decreased the amount of rotor surface available for heat transfer and with newer pad technology drilled and/or slotted aren't necessary.
Slotted is good to allow any gas buildup a way to escape from between the pad and rotor. Drilled isn't the best if you do a lot of braking (like on a road course) as that removes mass (more mass is better for heat transfer/cooling).

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
I recently installed slotted rotors on my wifes TBSS. I paid a little extra to have them cryogenically treated as I have heard good things about this treatment. So far I'm happy. After proper pad wear in I have made a few hard stops and breaks feel good but I am also interested in rotor life which this treatment is supposed to help.
For pads I went with EBC as I run the on my Busa and love them.
There is a lot of inaccurate information floating around regarding rotor metallurgy, heat/cryo treatment and machining techniques. Enough to write a paper. Actually, I'll be writing one pretty soon (as time permits!) and posting a link for anyone who needs a cure for insomnia.

Bottom line: Cross-drilling does provide extra pad bite, especially at higher speeds. The holes do provide some extra cooling, but only a little and only at higher temps. At lower temps, they actually help get the pad up to temperature by having less surface area in contact. Skilled drivers can tell the difference, while less experienced or less aggressive drivers may not be able to. Downside? A little more pad wear and a little more brake noise (groan, not squeal). And, they should not be used for heavy track use as they will crack sooner than non-drilled rotors will. Either way, buy only quality iron and life will be better.

Cryo? I've spoken to many metallurgists (and I'm a mechanical engineer) on this topic. Outside of those promoting the service, I haven't found one that believes cryo does a single thing to improve brake rotor performance or life. In fact, you can do microphotographs of material samples before and after and no difference can be found. They can't even tell if it has been done after you pay for it! I'm still open minded on the possibility as I know it works great for certain alloys with organized grain structures, but until I see concrete evidence it works on a random grain structure (like cast iron), I cannot recommend it in good conscience as an expenditure that promises a return.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
These look promising: http://brakeperformance.com/site/bra...FRkcswodWnyyjA
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
busaboy

Drives: Black RS/SS M6
I never said cryo was the answer it is a variable I am exploring. The extra cost was not that much and I have heard good things about it.
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
TeddyP25

Drives: 2SS
Stillen

Great pkg deal also...
Attached Images

2SS/RS CGM/BLK GFX MN6418 Stroker.785rwhp/885lbtq.50 SHOT NO2..Pfadt arms,toe links,coilovers,swaybars,end links,engine mounts,dif/sub bushings.MGWshifter.Tick LVL 3.ARH1 7/8 LT's/ARH exhaust.ADM gauges/race CAI.E-FORCE SC.8 rib IW 10%OD.LPE dual pump/module.85lb inj,custom valve covers.RMCR tune.TOOLEY RACING CAM.JRE posi kit.JRE fuel upgrade.RX MONSTER CatchCan.DSS axels/DS.Hammerhead rear, 3:73's. WYOSPEED builthttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115687
TeddyP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Spiffyguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP25 View Post
Great pkg deal also...
Looks good! That's the exact setup I think I'm going to run. How much was the total cost (if you don't mind me asking)?