Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
I just took a look at the P&P manual and it shows those parts as having a 2/24 federal emissions warranty. The ones marked with * shows as stated.
Correct,

The emissions warranty can extend up to 8 years or 80,000 miles for certain parts. These include: catalytic converter, vehicle/powertrain control module, transmission control module or other onboard emissions diagnostic device, including emission-related software, whichever comes first. My prior post was showing what parts fell under the Evaporative Emission Control System though I realize how the coverage parameters could have been misinterpreted. I apologize for any confusion.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Correct,

The emissions warranty can extend up to 8 years or 80,000 miles for certain parts. These include: catalytic converter, vehicle/powertrain control module, transmission control module or other onboard emissions diagnostic device, including emission-related software, whichever comes first. My prior post was showing what parts fell under the Evaporative Emission Control System though I realize how the coverage parameters could have been misinterpreted. I apologize for any confusion.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Rats, so no extended warranty on a known Camaro problem?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
GM is supposedly researching it and will call me back today...

and the code it threw is P0449...forgot to mention that
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Sorry but it's not a Camaro problem. The canister is just a filter and eventually it needs replacing just like your air filter or cabin filter.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
If it was just the canister, then it wouldn't really be a problem out of warranty. I'd just replace it the same way I had to replace the PDIM unit that just refused to work properly. The problem is that it is the solenoid, located in the fuel tank that is failing prematurely. That one costs way too much to get fixed and a part like that should be covered or last longer. The design even got changed eventually.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
The problem is that it is the solenoid, located in the fuel tank that is failing prematurely. That one costs way too much to get fixed and a part like that should be covered or last longer. The design even got changed eventually.
Are you sure it's the solenoid? Every other person that has posted that has this code has been the canister and the only test I'm aware of for the solenoid requires you to remove it from the tank.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
TooCool5,

It's a circumstance we view on a case-by-case basis. Anyone experiencing this concern is welcome to message me for additional assistance with regard to this matter.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Are you sure it's the solenoid? Every other person that has posted that has this code has been the canister and the only test I'm aware of for the solenoid requires you to remove it from the tank.
On 2010's the solenoid is part of the canister, which is why the rear end had to be dropped. In 2011 they redesigned it and now it can be serviced separately from the canister. And it also makes it alot easier to replace. But they both fail the same.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Mr_Draco

Quote:
On 2010's the solenoid is part of the canister, which is why the rear end had to be dropped.
The solenoid has never been part of the canister and you don't have to drop the rear end to remove the canister.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
The solenoid has never been part of the canister and you don't have to drop the rear end to remove the canister.
Your partly correct. On the 2010's the vent solenoid was next to the canister attached by a hose. There are short cuts if you have done them before but per the repair manual they have you lowering the rear end. And on the 2011 and newer ones the vent solenoids are in the side of the canisters.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #25
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Your partly correct. On the 2010's the vent solenoid was next to the canister attached by a hose. There are short cuts if you have done them before but per the repair manual they have you lowering the rear end. And on the 2011 and newer ones the vent solenoids are in the side of the canisters.
The vent solenoid is physically located INSIDE the gas tank which is why you have to drop the rear end to replace it. The canister on the other hand is physically located right behind the the passenger quarter panel near the filler neck. This is the way it is, and the way it always has been. Where are you coming up with they was right beside each other or that the solenoid is inside the canister?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #26
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Sorry but it's not a Camaro problem. The canister is just a filter and eventually it needs replacing just like your air filter or cabin filter.
Simple logic, a filter doesn't throw a code, a stuck (electrical ) vent solenoid does - Wow.

I have never changed a canister filter on any of my GM cars, ever.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
sometimes the catch is you have to fail an emission test for the coverage, seems to be the case in WA anyway.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
So I looked in the shop manual. The canister and solenoid are separate and the evap solenoid is not in the tank.

But the manual says to drop the rear end to change the canister, even though it can be seen by removing the right side interior trim panel. What gives?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote