Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Mike14bumblebee

Drives: 2014 yellow 2SS/RS
Storage issues/ squirrels

Looking for some help with keeping possibly squirrels out of my engine bay over the winter. The car has been parked for at least weeks and I have found poop and nuts on top of my engine. I cleaned it out and a couple of days later I checked it again and there was more. I didn't have this issue over the last 3 years. Car is in a shelter logic tent and I have doubled the amount of moth balls and fabric softener sheets and that obviously hasn't worked. Looking for something to try as I can't afford to have wires chewed over the winter.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Flip for a storage unit for the winter....may be cheaper in the end...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Try a squirrel repellent
Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Squirrels, field mice and other like pests do not like the odor of mothballs! This will most likely repel them. For my Impala SS which I put up each and every winter since 97, I place cups of mothballs under the vehicle, usually one open cup full near the inside of each wheel, one directly below the trunk, one directly under the transmission and the last exterior one directly below the engine. I raise the hood and set one center of the engine, one at the front of each fender well and one near the firewall where the main harness is.

Like you I use to see their dung on my stored vehicle engines, with this I NEVER have had a problem.

Last edited by Deputy347k9; 11-27-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
perfucto

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Car Capsule
perfucto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
Security cat and or dog....
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfucto View Post
Car Capsule
This

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Moth balls and or downy dryer sheets. The rodents on ours ended up removing all under hood insulation were lucky as they left the wiring harness alone. Name:  IMG_0252.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  200.2 KB. Was about 3G to fix covered by insurance thank goodness. Have not had a problem since using both, one or two moth balls under the hood and downy sheets in trunk and interior.
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Mike14bumblebee

I have always surrounded the car in moth balls and put dryer sheets in trunk, back seat, and plenty under the hood. Didnt work this year. I will be building a garage for next winter. Never had any problems till this year so it could be luck of the draw as to where and when the mice come
Old 01-18-2019, 01:46 AM   #10
Dandee
Dazed and Confused

Drives: '86
Hey, how it's going with those squirrels? I've read an article at pestcontrolhacks about mice and think it will work with squirrels too. And it's not about moth balls, there are some gel repellents as well as ultrasonic devices like Weitech, Riddex or another bunch of similar stuff from Amazon. It's humane, no traps involved.
Dandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #11
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Once the rodents claim that area as their home, good luck getting rid of them. A few years ago, I had a squirrel make a home inside my left front wheel well. The only reason I saw it is the security camera in my garage was triggering at night.

First, I had to clean out all the acorns stored in the wheel well. Jacked up the car, pulled the wheel, pulled the wheel well. There was enough acorns to fill a gallon jug. Cleaned it all out using GooGone.

Second, I had to figure out how it was getting in my garage. I use a can of expanding foam to seal every crack I could find. I put barriers at the corner of the garage roll up door.

Turns out, it was getting in through the drain pipe for my water heater overflow pan, about a 1" pipe. I put some cheese cloth over the opening and held it on with zip ties.

I haven't had any issues since I rodent proofed my garage.

Last winter, a squirrel made a home in the right front wheel well of my truck, parked outside. It was using the insulation as a nest. The only reason I found it is it had bitten through on radio antenna.

Again, I had to clean out all the nesting material and then replace the antenna lead. Replacing that on a 2500HD is a PITA.

Now how do you stop a rodent getting in a vehicle parked outside. .177 lead traveling at 768 fps. Once I got the offending rodent, no issues since.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
Mike14bumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandee View Post
Hey, how it's going with those squirrels? I've read an article at pestcontrolhacks about mice and think it will work with squirrels too. And it's not about moth balls, there are some gel repellents as well as ultrasonic devices like Weitech, Riddex or another bunch of similar stuff from Amazon. It's humane, no traps involved.

I moved in June and built a garage over the summer for this winters storage. that project isnt finished yet but the garage is up and the car is safe. No tent blowing over on it this year or ever again. So thankfully the rodent problem is solved for now i guess, you never no when those little bastards will want in lol.

I have a garage build thread on here that started out with questions on sizing. Its 16x20, Obviously a garage will never be big enough after you build it, but it will do for what I need it for.