Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Headers Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, mods move it if you need to. I've got a question pertaining to headers; what's the main difference between long tube headers, shorty headers, and mid length headers? I know some are only compatible with a certain x pipe but really, I'm at a loss as to the difference. Any help would be great. Thanks.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Long tube headers give you the most HP, Long tube + tune = 25-35 HP on ls3
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
I guess the simplest answer I can give is that the longer the pipes before the collector, the less restriction for exhaust flow.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
shorty headers are nothing more than performance manfolds. offer a slight gain and do not require additional exhaust work, they go in place of the stock manifolds and bolt up to the stock system.
shorties:

mids are obviously a little longer than shorties and require a new downpipe for the exhaust to match up and give moderate gains
mids:

long tubes are long....lol they offer the most power when tuned properly and require more fab work for the exhaust to mount up, also if you plan on staying emissions legal, it will require the catalytic converters to be remounted lower in the exhaust stream which can sometimes have the negative effect of not allowing the cats to warm up properly and not function properly.

long tubes:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Pretty much what camarospike said ... if you are thinking about going Forced Induction .. unless you want to make crazy power (which you will be spending big bucks for anyways) the stock manifolds or shorties will support that power and there is no need for the long tubes or any possible hassle that comes from them (I don't believe they are considerd smog legal).

On the other hand, if your not going f/i and don't care about being smog legal and want every ounce of HP/TQ you can get, the Long tubes and non catted pipes are the way to go ...

Crowley
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Cool, thanks for the info guys, especially the detailed description Spike.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
LTs sound the best too

If you're thinking about going this route, it's a good idea to do a lot of research. I can tell you that just because a certain part fits on one car, it won't mean it will on another. Also, keep in mind ground clearance. If you plan on lowering your car, there are some LT systems out there that may not jive well with a car that's lowered. For example, in 4th. Gens., specifically, there are several systems that either come with 2.5' Y-pipes, and others with 3.0' Y-pipes. The systems with the 3.0' Y-pipes don't always tuck under the body good enough to the point they can actually significantly deminish ground clearance, and you'll drag over speedbumps, curbs, driveways, etc. Given, the 5th. Gen. won't come with a Y-pipe, however, headers collectors can hang very low sometimes too (the original SLP LTs are and example) and if one isn't careful, those can hit the ground too. I'm just saying since it sounds like you may be new to headers, do the research As people start receiving and modd'ing their cars, we're going to get a lot more information to, perhaps, guide you in the direction you want to go. I'll admit after going through a set of mid-lengths, then two sets of LTs on my '02, that by the time I settled on my last set, I knew exactly what I wanted and got exactly what I expected.

Also, I think technically LTs are illegal because they move cats' from their original locations; also, replacing a functioning OEM catalytic converter is illegal by Federal Law. I know that most states only have a visual inspection, and that's isn't too big a deal, but know your states' laws. Laws where I live say that I have to ask permission to wipe my @$$ and I've paid more than $500 in fines directly related to running LTs.

For referrence: Borla, BBK, Dynomax, Edelbrock, Hooker, Kooks, Quick Time Performance, and Stainless Works are just a few LT manufacturers out there. I'm sure more will come out of the woodwork after cars are in more customers' hands. In most cases, you get what you pay for...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
If you are looking for some good Long-Tubes, check out the Group Buy thread in the LS3/L99 forum.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

Also, I think technically LTs are illegal because they move cats' from their original locations; also, replacing a functioning OEM catalytic converter is illegal by Federal Law. I know that most states only have a visual inspection, and that's isn't too big a deal, but know your states' laws. Laws where I live say that I have to ask permission to wipe my @$$ and I've paid more than $500 in fines directly related to running LTs.
on top of just moving them from their stock location being illegal, moving them farther down the exhaust stream makes it harder for the cats to stay hot enough to function properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

For referrence: Borla, BBK, Dynomax, Edelbrock, Hooker, Kooks, Quick Time Performance, and Stainless Works are just a few LT manufacturers out there. I'm sure more will come out of the woodwork after cars are in more customers' hands. In most cases, you get what you pay for...
dont forget Pacesetter. lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
does any one know if new york has a visual inspection?

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote