Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
From bad to worse

SO.... what an amazing past 24 hours I've had.

Lets start, I'm driving home last night and I figure hey its a nice night, lets put the windows down............. I hear a metal click that increased and decreases with speed coming from the back left tire. I know exactly what the sound is. a NAIL in the tire. Came home and checked it out and it looked like it punctured but it was holding air.

This morning I checked out the nail again and attempted to remove it but when got it to a certain point I could hear the air leaking so I kept it in, took the entire rim and tire off and went to a local tire shop so they could patch the tire from the inside.

about 2 hours after dropping off the tire I get the "its done" call. I went to the placed and looked at the tire because I know the thin paint on the rim makes it easy to chip. The rim was covered in white grease so I instantly wasn't pleased about that. They wiped off the grease and I notice a chip on the lip of the rim that looks exactly like somebody used a pry bar to break the tire bead off the rim. I tell the shop about it and instantly they tell me it was there before because the tire machine never touches the rim. I told the guy I have pictures before the rim was dropped off. Now I have to call tomorrow and bring it up with the manager.

Sorry for the long read. My rims were pretty damn close to pristine before this so I'm not very happy.

EDIT: what should I try to shoot for to get this fixed? It is absolutely unacceptable to have chipped paint on a rim that costs nearly 1100 dollars.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Looks like a pry bar mark to me. It even dented the edge a little. Make them buy you a g.m touch up paint. It works good on the rims.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
shippingguy

Drives: 2024 Black ZL1, M6
F-that have them buy you a new rim!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Not gonna lie, I read that whole post thinking I was going to see some serious carnage, and I was totally let down with that picture. I'm going to be alone on this one, but take a Sharpie, color that tiny scratch, and go enjoy your car.

By the way, the white grease is a lubricant to help the tire slide on and off. Washes off easily. Otherwise they could really damage the tire or wheel because it won't slide properly.

You want to know what is unacceptable? The pitiful job GM did painting the wheels to begin with...and then charging $950 for it.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Sorry this happened to you but I am thinking that when I do need to have tires or a repair I am going to have them look at each rim with me and make a note of anything. Maybe have them sign something noting anything so if they do damage a rim they are gonna pay for it and if they refuse to sign then it would be in my best interest to go someplace else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
Looks like a pry bar mark to me. It even dented the edge a little. Make them buy you a g.m touch up paint. It works good on the rims.
Every time I look at it, it gets worse. The paint around the area is pushed up like a wave/ramp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shippingguy View Post
F-that have them buy you a new rim!!!
That's the way I'm leaning now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is more pictures from different angles. Even after it was wiped down by them you can still see the grease on the rim
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
SimpleGreen

Here is what happened to my wheel at the local tire shop.

I watched the machine that did it. It's a real deal low profile tire machine that does not use pry bars or metal heads, and they still did this:

And touched it up and tried to pass it off to me.

That was 2 months ago. I took that picture today. Owner said I can get it taken care of and bring him the bill. I will probably get it fixed eventually. I don't know. I honestly forgot all about it, and nobody else has pointed it out.

That 'damage' is done to every wheel in the world probably when getting a tire put on. It's never an issue because nearly all wheels on the road are either aluminum, or silver painted aluminum, and you simply can't see that scratch on that surface. It's just easy to find on an aluminum wheel painted black. I have personally chalked it up as the cost of ownership and touch it up as needed.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Not gonna lie, I read that whole post thinking I was going to see some serious carnage, and I was totally let down with that picture. I'm going to be alone on this one, but take a Sharpie, color that tiny scratch, and go enjoy your car.

By the way, the white grease is a lubricant to help the tire slide on and off. Washes off easily. Otherwise they could really damage the tire or wheel because it won't slide properly.

You want to know what is unacceptable? The pitiful job GM did painting the wheels to begin with...and then charging $950 for it.
I know that the wheel chip is small but like I stated before, my rim were near pristine before this happened. So to me it is a big deal, especially this being my first new car I ever bought.

And I agree 100% with that, the rims should be painted better but a big shop like this is should be more careful with the way they handle customers stuff.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
sdmbdad71

Drives: 2013 VR 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Quote:

I watched the machine that did it. It's a real deal low profile tire machine that does not use pry bars or metal heads, and they still did this:

That was 2 months ago. I took that picture today. Owner said I can get it taken care of and bring him the bill. I will probably get it fixed eventually. I don't know. I honestly forgot all about it, and nobody else has pointed it out.

That 'damage' is done to every wheel in the world probably when getting a tire put on. It's never an issue because nearly all wheels on the road are either aluminum, or silver painted aluminum, and you simply can't see that scratch on that surface. It's just easy to find on an aluminum wheel painted black. I have personally chalked it up as the cost of ownership and touch it up as needed.
^this
sdmbdad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:

That definitely looks way worse than mine for sure.

I've had my rear tires replaced, a different shop did it and the rims were given back to me the exact way I dropped them off. crazy how a little place can do a great job and a bigger corporate place can damage stuff.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
I know that the wheel chip is small but like I stated before, my rim were near pristine before this happened. So to me it is a big deal, especially this being my first new car I ever bought.

And I agree 100% with that, the rims should be painted better but a big shop like this is should be more careful with the way they handle customers stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I understand perfect wheels and feelings, lol. I thought I was going to have a stroke when I saw my wheel after they loaded it in my truck. This is the 2nd new car I ever bought, but by far the most expensive.

But, being busy at work, driving the car, etc. It got put on the back burner. I may even order the paint color and try repairing it myself. I put 1200 miles on my Camaro last month alone on road trips. Have a few chips in dings in my front bumper now too, and road rash on my gills (running 85MPH across the gulf will do that). I suppose I just haven't been sweating the small stuff anymore.

Good luck
Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
That definitely looks way worse than mine for sure.

I've had my rear tires replaced, a different shop did it and the rims were given back to me the exact way I dropped them off. crazy how a little place can do a great job and a bigger corporate place can damage stuff.
I had these Michelins put on a couple months ago. A few weeks ago I picked up a screw on the same tire and wheel that is in that picture. The damaged one. I brought it to the SAME tire shop because it was directly on the way to my girlfriends place, and I didn't want to find somewhere else.

Same guy that damaged the wheel the first time, on the same machine, did the patch job. It came out fine. He even reminded me his boss would take of the damage.

Good days and bad days everywhere my friend. I have been building custom emergency vehicles for 6 years and have my own crew, and I'm still no stranger to scratching paint or finished metal on accident
Old 05-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
I fully understand both of your point of views. I just spent about 30 minutes repairing my wheel. The worse part is I did the damage myself by doing a low speed pop into a parking lot curb corner. Even worse it was just 12hrs after bringing it home from the showroom floor.
Mine is about 1.5" long on the outside lip and mushroomed out slightly too. Mine even cut the bumper lip of the tire for a couple inches. It's there to protect the wheels from idiots like me. It tried, but I just popped it a little too hard.
It was hard to do, but I just took a dremmel and fine sanding stone to the wheel lip to get it much smoother and to get rid of the "mushroom" edges. Then got some good black touch up paint to it. I also got some rubber safe glue and stuck the tire bumper lip back into place. Fortunately it didn't rip it off, just ripped it loose with ends still stuck on.
It looks decent now. I can see it when I look for it, by I'm sure 99% of the casual viewers would never notice it. But it would never pass a beauty contest.
Fortunately it didn't hit hard enough to hurt the integrity of either. I was only going about
10mph. And I've gotten it up to 80mph and around a lot of twisty roads since it happen yesterday, and the balance doesn't feel affected either.
So I'm ok with it now. But I'm sure going to curse a little every time I wash my baby and come across the damage & get reminded again of my stupidity.
Oh well.....
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Id be upset at that for sure but in your shoes, I would be more accepting to it because I did the damage. Not somebody else.