Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
jimmyb

Drives: 82 camaro "pace car" replica
Im getting it for some money he owes me. But its gonna take about 600 to get it shipped to south florida from baltimore. It should be here next month, and then right to the paint shop and getting the engine and trans pulled for some work and refreshing. I know the car isnt worth what it will cost to restore properly, but there is something about the car that I just love. I dont even know if it is a true pace car replica yet, but Im throwing caution to the wind,and when I get it I will check the trim code on the rad support. The paint with a complete media blast and except any real big problems will run me 3500. I have found the seat interior and just need to find an embroidery shop for the Z28 logo. Thank god the rest of the trim is in great shape,like the doors and the headliner. IM keeping the original stickers(indy) that are in the trunk and getting repos put on.. Its gonna be one bad 82 pace car replica when Im done. Will post pics before during and after, I promise
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Monte Carlo Man

Drives: Everything from soup to nuts
Geesh - 9 posts to answer a simple question.

The answer is - if you take the vin number to any parts counter of any GM garage, they can run it through the computer and tell you exactly what the car is.

Everything from the build sheet - to options to who sold it to who bought it.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
jimmyb

Thank you very much Monte. Simple answer and simple solution. Why didnt I think of that.lol..
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have a chance to get a 1982 pace car camaro from a friend of mine. Now I know it isnt a festival car, but one of the 6360 replicas that were sold to the public. I was wondering how I can authenticate it through the vin#. I hope you guys can help me and when/if I get the car pics will be posted.
Yes I can help you I use to have one
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
can't give you a lot of help,but the pace cars did have 4 wheel disc brakes.
NOT all of the cars came with 4 disc brakes. I had one of the few & I flipping sold it

also go to thirdgen.org & talk to a couple guys there

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
Monte Carlo Man

Drives: Everything from soup to nuts
I'm getting old here and my mind is not what it used to be.

25 years in the car business - and it's hard to remember which car you drove to the Wal Mart anymore - let alone features of a car made 28 years ago.

If my mind recollects correctly - the 1984 or so Buick Grand National V-6 car had a plaque on the dash board that said that the car was a genuine Grand National and also had a build number.

I can remember some of my other cars having a similar plaque, so I am wondering - didn't the '82 Pace Car also have a plaque?
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
jimmyb

yeah they did, but you can buy the plaque at any junkyard that has a indy 500 car there that was made by GM... so thats not a sure fire way..I think I have fond what I needed, Im going to see the local GM parts person, he said he would run the VIN and print out the rpo codes and tell me if it is a true 82 pace car...Thanks everyone.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #21
scottmoyer

Drives: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
I know this is an old post, but the dealer can't pull up RPO codes for an 82. I believe they can only go back to 1990.

Second, the car is easily determined to be a pace car by looking at the radiator support tag. It should have 16U and 16L for the paint code, and also Z50 for the Pace car option. No other 82 had paint code 16. Not all of them had 4 wheel disc. Very few had that option. There also is no VIN list of all 6360 replicas. There is a list of the festival cars.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #22
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
i have a 82 z28 pace car .you couldent tell any more .it now has a dale 3 decal kit on it.this car came with crossram intake and factory airram hood.i kept the intake and hood .put on daytona irock hood and offenhouser crossram intake.still have the car it rocks.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #23
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
i have a 82 z28 pace car .you couldent tell any more .it now has a dale 3 decal kit on it.this car came with crossram intake and factory airram hood.i kept the intake and hood .put on daytona irock hood and offenhouser crossram intake.still have the car it rocks.
you mean Crossfire, the cross ram was something diff.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #24
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Yes crossfire. Sorry. I put a crossram on after
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #25
snyder

Drives: 82 indy pace car
Just bought a 82 indy pace car. looked at the radiator support tag and the 16U and 16L is there but not the Z50. what does this mean?
snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #26
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
For the record the camaropacecar.com site got started and originally the main focus was the '67's. So the majority of the members there are '67 guys and that section is the most active. It is owned and operated by east coasters Bill Bradley and Tom McGinnity.

As stated the rear discs were option on the '82 pace cars. Also due to emmision laws 4-spd manuals could not be had with the cross-fire, they had a computer controlled Rochester 4 barrel instead. So there are '82 pace cars that do not have the cross-fire injection (dual throttle-bodies staggered on the intake like the old dual-quad cross-ram intakes).

At the bottom of the paged linked below, there is a list of the Festival car VINs just in case.

http://www.camaropacecars.com/1982/82Authenticity.htm
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #27
laughpm

Drives: 2011 Indy Pace Car
2011 Pace Car

just purchased an 2011 Pace car and it came with the original window sticker. How do you determine what production number it would be? DO they use the VIN#?
laughpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #28
scottmoyer

Drives: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Well, being that this the 1982 thread, in the 3rd gen forum, I wouldn't expect much of an answer regarding a 2011 car. You might want to try another thread.

Tags
1982, pace car, vin#