Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #127
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I was at the 6thGen reveal on Belle Isle in Detroit MI and spoke to a guy from Automobile magazine for a bit about my car....found this article a couple days later

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...w-cars-reveal/

Matt Jensen was considering buying a Ford Mustang Boss 302 as his next track car, but, "as soon as GM announced the 1LE, I know it was what I wanted." Jensen uses his Camaro 1LE to instruct at track-day events around Michigan, and has added a few subtle tweaks to the car over the years. Upgraded brakes come from the outgoing Cadillac CTS-V, and the black wheels and bolstered driver's seat are from the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28. Chevrolet won't officially sell Z/28 parts to any other Camaro owners; Jensen is mum on how he obtained his.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #128
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
That is beyond cool. I bet you were just shocked and excited to see your car. Very nice sir.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #129
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

I haven't really been updating the build much so I will add a couple of small items.

I ordered a set of the front wheel moldings from the C7 Z06. I thought about trying them when I saw them and then saw them on another members car. I believe he is keeping his on the DL, so I will let him chime in if he wants to talk about them.

Bottom line, I knew they would not be a direct fit and after a bunch of trial and trimming I am just not happy with the fitment I achieved on the ends. You may have better results, but I am pulling the plug on this idea.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #130
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Also ran out to the drag strip on Saturday the 20th. Clear skies, but it had rained in the morning so it was warm and humid when I got there. The air density was 2664 so the air was not ideal. I do not use D/A corrected times, but some people want to see them so I included them.

The track was pretty empty so I was able to round robin almost back up to the burnout box.....This was good as my highest trap speed was after a pass, a cool down drive on the return road and almost back into the burnout box. The lower traps were after two different brief track clean ups were I left the car running with the heater on to keep the coolant moving.

Not the fastest car, but at least I am consistent.

Power Mods: OEM Z/28 intake, Bo White port TB
Tires: 305/35/19 Nitto NT-05 (Not the NT-05R drag radial)

Matt
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #131
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Still such a bad ass ride man! I think I saw where other companies are starting to try to replicate the Z28 wheel wells/aero. Maybe when they get the kinks out and they are not astronomical it might be a cool idea.

Those wheels are killer on there!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #132
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Per Request: A couple of engine cover pictures to better explain how I mounted it.

Trim the PASS side carefully and the stock mounts are retained. The DRIVER side needs a small bracket to hold up the front

Sorry, engine bay is dirty /dusty...
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #133
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Are you happy with your Whiteline cradle inserts for the track? I am ok with the stock bushings but considering doing inserts or full bushings next time I take apart the rear.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #134
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Are you happy with your Whiteline cradle inserts for the track? I am ok with the stock bushings but considering doing inserts or full bushings next time I take apart the rear.
I installed them at the same time I installed a Hotchkis Chassis brace which complements them and the combo locked the rear end in place which helped with straight line acceleration from a dig. On the track the car seems to rotate more, BUT I also stood the rear tires up a bit (les neg camber) last fall to help it rotate...........To best answer your question; I have made to many other changes to speak directly to the Whiteline inserts.

I have a Z/28 suspension kit sitting in the garage right now and will be removing the Chassis brace, but leaving the bushings.

Price and ease of install were the selling points for me.

-Matt
Old 09-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #135
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

It seems I have been neglecting to update my build page as things move along:

Some new items have been installed:

GMPP Z/28 Suspension kit (Removed stock 1LE set-up)
Corvette C7/Z06 non CCB Front Calipers (vented pistons) (Removed CTS-V)
Hard Brake Ti Backing shields (FR)
GEN 2 CTS-V Dual cast rotors (for the track /old 2-piece with small cracks for the street)
Stock 1LE Wheels (removed Z/28 wheels)
285/35/20 BFG Rival tires

I will slowly fill in the updated posts with notes as I have time

Matt
Old 09-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #136
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
It seems I have been neglecting to update my build page as things move along:

Some new items have been installed:

GMPP Z/28 Suspension kit (Removed stock 1LE set-up)
Corvette C7/Z06 non CCB Front Calipers (vented pistons) (Removed CTS-V)
Hard Brake Ti Backing shields (FR)
GEN 2 CTS-V Dual cast rotors (for the track /old 2-piece with small cracks for the street)
Stock 1LE Wheels (removed Z/28 wheels)
285/35/20 BFG Rival tires

I will slowly fill in the updated posts with notes as I have time

Matt
Interesting that you are going back to the stock 1LE wheels. Just trying a different setup? I would have thought the Z28 wheels with the Z28 suspension kit would have been a win. Curious to see how these test out.

Nice timeslips too by the way.

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #137
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
Interesting that you are going back to the stock 1LE wheels. Just trying a different setup? I would have thought the Z28 wheels with the Z28 suspension kit would have been a win. Curious to see how these test out.

Nice timeslips too by the way.
It all just kind of happened.....

A good friend purchased a 2014 1LE and really wanted the Z/28 wheels. I had been struggling with the wheels: are they my street wheels, are they track wheels only...etc. The tire selection and cost of race tires was a deterrent for 19s. Locally there are a few race teams including the Pratt and Miller Cadillac team that runs 18" Pirelli race tires. I have a friend there and can pick up warm-up or qualifying scrubs for next to nothing ($400/4)......

SO, friend offers a deal that I cant refuse that includes his 400 mile 1LE wheels and tires. the "plan" is to run the 20s" for the remainder of this year (2 more track days) and then they will be street wheels. I want to pick up some 18s over the winter and run them at the track..

Thanks.....I will be heading to the drag strip before the snow flies here in Oct/Nov when the air is cooler to see if we can squeak anything else out of her.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #138
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
It all just kind of happened.....

A good friend purchased a 2014 1LE and really wanted the Z/28 wheels. I had been struggling with the wheels: are they my street wheels, are they track wheels only...etc. The tire selection and cost of race tires was a deterrent for 19s. Locally there are a few race teams including the Pratt and Miller Cadillac team that runs 18" Pirelli race tires. I have a friend there and can pick up warm-up or qualifying scrubs for next to nothing ($400/4)......

SO, friend offers a deal that I cant refuse that includes his 400 mile 1LE wheels and tires. the "plan" is to run the 20s" for the remainder of this year (2 more track days) and then they will be street wheels. I want to pick up some 18s over the winter and run them at the track..

Thanks.....I will be heading to the drag strip before the snow flies here in Oct/Nov when the air is cooler to see if we can squeak anything else out of her.
Sounds like a very solid plan! Can't beat that deal on 18" warm up tires. That makes a huge difference in overall expense per event for sure!

SigPic by Hazman
Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #139
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Diff pains! :(

If you started at the beginning you will see I mentioned the diff opening up when the car was brand new in 2013. As it got some miles on it is seemed to get better........Until I had the diff fluid changed at the dealer about a month ago. I immediately noticed the inside tire would spin on the street in a spirited corner. On track this past weekend I confirmed it was an issue (see photos). I had to "pedal" it in corners to get power down. For scientific purpose I stayed in it just to lay this "peg-leg" single track as proof positive.

My theory is that the friction modifier is the issue and broke down overtime when the car was new. With the fresh fluid and modifier the problem came right back. A: I can drain the fluid and not install friction modifier. B: Install the Eaton Tru-Trac (Helical) diff, which has been in the plans for a while....

Matt
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #140
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
Diff pains! :(

If you started at the beginning you will see I mentioned the diff opening up when the car was brand new in 2013. As it got some miles on it is seemed to get better........Until I had the diff fluid changed at the dealer about a month ago. I immediately noticed the inside tire would spin on the street in a spirited corner. On track this past weekend I confirmed it was an issue (see photos). I had to "pedal" it in corners to get power down. For scientific purpose I stayed in it just to lay this "peg-leg" single track as proof positive.

My theory is that the friction modifier is the issue and broke down overtime when the car was new. With the fresh fluid and modifier the problem came right back. A: I can drain the fluid and not install friction modifier. B: Install the Eaton Tru-Trac (Helical) diff, which has been in the plans for a while....

Matt
Is that not a warrantable concern?
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote