Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Ajmalian

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2016 GMC Sierra Denali
Alpine dash kit with Kenwood stereo

Hey guys....I'm really frustrated with my installation. I have the Alpine kit which is the same as the scosche dash kit and I have a Kenwood DNX7310BT NAV which is the same hardware and almost same software as your 9990HD, but its the middle eastern adaptation of the 9990HD. The only difference is that we don't have HD radio, Sirrus and Pandora. Otherwise it is the exact same device.

I'm sure you must have heard this before but here goes,

MY STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS DON'T WORK !!!

Scosche even sent me that fix where I am supposed to connect the red wire to the blue/yellow wire using a 10k resistor (4th pin & 9th pin) but here's the thing, Alpine has NO blue/yellow wire. It has a white wire on the 9th pin but connecting the two doesnt work.

Can someone help me out cuz its killing me that I don't have steering wheel controls?
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Double D Mods

Drives: 2012 Grand Sport Convertible Vette
you need the swi-rc from Pac Audio to make them work

We ship overseas and can help you if you can not find one there

just send me a PM
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Hi, i have the scosche and the ken wood dnx9990, at first the controls didn't work, installed the swi-rc, still had issues, contacted pac audio and i have to connect directly under the dash. then they worked (steering controls). the following week i contacted scosche and the told me about the adding the resistor, which i did, i also removed the swi-rc and my controls work. the only thing that does not work with the scosche is the answer and hang up, that has to be done on the screen, not a big issue. The radio controls controls and volume (radio and calls ) work hope this helps

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Ajmalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
Hi, i have the scosche and the ken wood dnx9990, at first the controls didn't work, installed the swi-rc, still had issues, contacted pac audio and i have to connect directly under the dash. then they worked (steering controls). the following week i contacted scosche and the told me about the adding the resistor, which i did, i also removed the swi-rc and my controls work. the only thing that does not work with the scosche is the answer and hang up, that has to be done on the screen, not a big issue. The radio controls controls and volume (radio and calls ) work hope this helps

lupe

What I've come to learn from my still on-going experience is that apparently "what will work for you will not necessarily work for me". I can't remember the member's name but if you look around, there is one more guy in this forum who has exactly what you have and he unlike you, first went to Scosche with his problems. They gave him the same resistor fix (which worked for you) but it didn't work for him. He then got in touch with DoubleD modifications who set him up with the Pac SWI-RC and that apparently worked for him.

Like him, I too tried the resistor fix first but as I mentioned in my first post, I don't have the blue/yellow wire at all in my whole 24 pin connector kit. No offense to Scosche but I'm not sure if they are aware of what they are using in the manufacturing of their dash kits for Alpine, even though it is supposed to be the EXACT same hardware, just different fascia for the different brands.

Point being I'm going to try this Pac SWI-RC interface and pray to god that it works because after this, I have nowhere else to go. But what is interesting is that all these cars came off the same assembly line.....however apparently no two Camaros are built the same huh?

Also, as I mentioned in my original post, I am using a Kenwood DNX7310BT NAV which is the Asian market's adaptation/version of the DNX9990HD because they both have the same hardware but slightly different software. Our version doesn't have Pandora, Sirrus and HD radio because our country does not support any kind of satellite radio until now. But all else otherwise is the same.
Perhaps there's more to the head unit/stereo that we are not aware of and hence the lack of steering wheel controls.

Basically I now have my fingers crossed and am banking on this Pac SWI-RC...lets see what the future has in store for me.

However you can, please help me, by elaborating on the part where you said that Pac guys got you to install the module interface directly under the dash, so that in case I face the same problem as you, I don't have to waste any time contacting Pac people myself.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
overhaulengines

hi, i know in the scosche kit instructions, it tells you to close the doors, remove the key, disconnect the 2 plugs that go to the control module of the kit (24 pin and 9 pin connectors), sit in car and play with phone or something, but don't turn anything on, wait 7 min for the car to power down, then and only then, connect the 2 connectors, put key in and start the car. another member posted his controls did not work till he did this. i did it this also
try this. i know its a pain and you get frustrated, so did I. but now it works

lupe
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
overhaulengines

k, i just found it
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219734

see # 3, this is what i was talking about, its in the manual also hope this helps

lupe
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
I got so in to my game while following the instructions i had the door shut and no power for 30 min once i realized all thati connected battery cable and waited another 15 lol. Needless to say my scosche has not had any issues after a month
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Ajmalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
k, i just found it
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219734

see # 3, this is what i was talking about, its in the manual also hope this helps

lupe
Well I have already ordered the Pac SWI-RC, so I'll just wait till it gets here and then I'll go to my audio guy and try what you've suggested first and should it not work I'll use the steering wheel interface from Pac Audio.

But sure thanks for the help bro...I really appreciate it..I'll keep you posted!!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Ajmalian

I have one, hopefully last, question for Overhaulengine, or anybody for that matter who knows their way around these kits, especially Alpine ones. You all are aware of the fact that we are supposed to join the red wire (4th pin) to the light blue/yellow wire (9th pin) using a 10k resistor in the Scosche dash kit right?

Now if anyone of you have coupled a Kenwood with the Alpine dash kit, you would hopefully, like me, have learned that there is no light blue/yellow wire in the Alpine kit. There is a white wire in the place of where this blue/yellow wire is supposed to be. Am I supposed to connect that wire to the red or is there some other wire that needs to be connected to the red wire using the resistor?

I would really appreciate it if someone could get back to me on this.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
overhaulengines

Sorry not familiar with the alpine kit. I have scosche kit, have u contacted alpine yet?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Ajmalian

This is what's written on their webpage, "Please do not submit product-related questions through this form. At this time, we are unable to respond to product questions via e-mail so you will not receive a reply. If you are in need of product assistance, please contact us using the information on the left side of this page." Information which is phone numbers to various places. I don't even know which one to call.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
Ajmalian

DENNIS FROM DOUBLE D MODS IS DA BOMB!!!

Overhaulengines, bro....I told ya...what may work for you may not fork it for me and vice versa! The guys at Double D Mods hooked me up with the PAC SWI-RC and now its all working like a charm!

I live outside of the USA....way outside, yet the Double D Mods people solved my problem....I can't imagine what they can or will do for those with in the US!! Once again Dennis, thanx a lot!!