Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS 6A
Is there a tuner that can fix this ?

Hello,

I have Error code P0449, which is something with the emissions above the gas tank, nevertheless, it makes my check engine light come one.

Which means my remote start won't work this winter

It's $600 -$700 to fix, and has nothing to do with the car's performance or well being, just a bunch of epa pollution crap.

Is there a tuner or tune that can remove the check engine light ?
191185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Any scanner that plugs into the OBDII port has the ability to clear codes. What "exactly" is throwing the code?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
RR
Nie

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
I just had mine replaced. Came out to $500 at the dealer. If you call around maybe a performance shop may do it cheaper if you provide the part. I bought the part off amazon for $100. Heres the link to amazon ACDelco 92226690 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OVE41Q..._0F65vbW13BT9D
Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
I just had mine replaced. Came out to $500 at the dealer. If you call around maybe a performance shop may do it cheaper if you provide the part. I bought the part off amazon for $100. Heres the link to amazon ACDelco 92226690 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OVE41Q..._0F65vbW13BT9D
Thanks, but I don't want to fix it, that part is completley unecesary, it's only to satsify the epa, so you spend $500 just to make the check engine light go off.

It's not like we're talking about fixing an alternator or spark plug, you know, something that actually helps the car run, it is simply to help meet smog requirments
Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
CamaroSS sleeper

Drives: Sleeper_NOT
If I remember correctly that code is for the Vent Valve Solenoid located next to Carbon canister on the side of the Gas tank.
have to drop the entire rear cradle suspension to access it.

does it affect something other than our planet?, but hey no one gives a sh... about global warming. I'm been sarcastic but sad. lol
if the Valve is stuck open you'll be fine. it just smells like... well, fuel...

if its stuck closed you won't be able to pump gas (the pump lever will pop every 5 seconds like you have a full tank of gas when its still way empty)

and finally to answer you original question, YES it can be turned off by a tuner.
but you didn't hear that from me...
CamaroSS sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS sleeper View Post
If I remember correctly that code is for the Vent Valve Solenoid located next to Carbon canister on the side of the Gas tank.
have to drop the entire rear cradle suspension to access it.

does it affect something other than our planet?, but hey no one gives a sh... about global warming. I'm been sarcastic but sad. lol
if the Valve is stuck open you'll be fine. it just smells like... well, fuel...

if its stuck closed you won't be able to pump gas (the pump lever will pop every 5 seconds like you have a full tank of gas when its still way empty)

and finally to answer you original question, YES it can be turned off by a tuner.
but you didn't hear that from me...

It's been over a month, and it pumps gas fine, so that means it's stuck open. I do not notice any kind of smell.

Do you care to share what type or brand of Tuner can do this, and how I can go about getting this done ? thank you.

And yes, the axle and gas tank have to be dropped to get at it, so not something I can do myself.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
CamaroSS sleeper

Drives: Sleeper_NOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
It's been over a month, and it pumps gas fine, so that means it's stuck open. I do not notice any kind of smell.

Do you care to share what type or brand of Tuner can do this, and how I can go about getting this done ? thank you.

And yes, the axle and gas tank have to be dropped to get at it, so not something I can do myself.
It has to be done by a profecional tuner, Like HP Tuners or EFI Live etc.
the average handheld won't do it.

If you dont mind working on you car and you have some mechanical skills it can be done at home with simple tools, a jack and two safety towers
I think it might be cheaper than finding a Tuning shop willing to turn off emissions related stuff.
I'll list the steps in case your interested:

1. jack up the car, setup some towers.
2. remove Exhaust (two slip on clamps and rubber bushings)
3. remove rear wheels
4. remove rear brake callipers
5. remove 4 drive shaft bolts (Torxs bolt can't remember the size)
6. remove 1 shock absorber bolt (bottom one) per side. (17mm or 19mm)
7. remove 4 cradle bolts (24mm socket these are tight!)
8. lower cradle assy out of the way. (using the jack on the middle of the differential)
9. remove EVAP canister assy. (2 10mm bolts and hoses)
10. replace valve ( one small bolt, plastic clip is a pain broke mine but it dont matter its part of the bad valve anyways)
11. re-assemble

total time 1.5h if you know the rear Camaro suspension.
I'd say 3h if you dont.(get a buddy to help you, pay him with beers) lol
for me it was easy, had previously done solid bushings and suspension components.
also my Vent valve was $70ish at the dealer, special order.

Hope this helps....

CamaroSS sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote