Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the a6 transmission..its strong and performs great. People on here are running big rwhp numbers on stock transmissions. If you cant drive a manual what are you comparing its performance to? Maybe you should have kept the v6.
Not comparing it to anything, the transmission is terrible at points. Don't make excuses for it. If I knew this I would opt for the manual and learn how to drive it.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
DsCamaro1

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
I'm still breaking in the SS, it's at 600 miles. The Auto transmission is worse than I thought. I'm starting to miss the V6 transmission. Whenver I try getting power on the street in necassary situations, the car shifts down a single gear by single gear , the lag is immense. Then the car suddenly hops and takes off. This is something that's getting really annoying , the V6 had it but not as bad as this. Will this get better after 1500 miles? And if not what can I do to fix it?

I wish the dealer would swap a LS3 with mine without needing to go through the whole paperwork process again. :(

I am now sure that I must learn how to drive a manual because sporty cars really need it.
I'm not sure what the hell you guys are doing in your car's but when i stomp on it it will make my wife's head wip back into the seat and I have just a CAI, fuse pull 91octane fuel and muffler delete. Not sure how your driving ability is but when you put your foot down on it push hard enough to smash a watermelon. When you shift in manual mode there is a small delay so time it well when the rpm gets to about 5500 rpm hit the paddle.
DsCamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Not comparing it to anything, the transmission is terrible at points. Don't make excuses for it. If I knew this I would opt for the manual and learn how to drive it.
Not making any excuses..i have this combo in my car......its bullet proof. When i hammer it ...it goes. The afm is terrible. If you want the afm gone and keep your warranty then buy a range device.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #18
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsCamaro1 View Post
I'm not sure what the hell you guys are doing in your car's but when i stomp on it it will make my wife's head wip back into the seat and I have just a CAI, fuse pull 91octane fuel and muffler delete. Not sure how your driving ability is but when you put your foot down on it push hard enough to smash a watermelon. When you shift in manual mode there is a small delay so time it well when the rpm gets to about 5500 rpm hit the paddle.
Exactly..............
Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #19
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Not making any excuses..i have this combo in my car......its bullet proof. When i hammer it ...it goes. The afm is terrible. If you want the afm gone and keep your warranty then buy a range device.
What combo are you taking about? I have no mods. The responsiveness is not there in auto mode. It defintely lags, with time it may get better. I haven't driven it in manual mode yet. I heard the range device causes battery issues.

I'm a bit upset at myself for not going with stick, now I realize it would be funner. I'm still happy with the auto though.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #20
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsCamaro1 View Post
Same here, only difference is I have Flowmaster Force II axel back versus the muffler delete ...
Old 08-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #21
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
What combo are you taking about? I have no mods. The responsiveness is not there in auto mode. It defintely lags, with time it may get better. I haven't driven it in manual mode yet. I heard the range device causes battery issues.

I'm a bit upset at myself for not going with stick, now I realize it would be funner. I'm still happy with the auto though.
When i first bought my car the afm wasnt that noticeable to me with the stock exhaust . I didnt drive it very long that way. The afm is the worst thing to deal with in regards to the auto. Your lag and hesitation is the trans on the verge of engaging the afm...ive punched it many times when its undecided where it wants to be. Its not much fun. Get a range device and you will feel the difference. I had my afm tuned out. And make sure you learn the paddle shifters..in a v8 car they add a different dimension to driving the auto.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #22
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
i don think any of us are doing anything differently, rather some are just more sensitive to the lag. It personally drives me crazy and I expect more from a performance vehicle. It will run great and snap heads but it has that lag on the shift. I've spent hundreds to eliminate it without success. I just ordered the range device to try. Hopefully this is a winner. I thought that about the ported TB and controller. They improved it some but like I mentioned it seems like the car has adjusted to the controller and the lag has returned. It all makes sense now that it is AFM related and nothing I have done addressed that. I will report back once I get it installed and tested.

Again I've been happy with my Camaro but I expect better performance. Fingers crossed this range devices delivers or next step is a tune which I'd like to avoid if possible.
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #23
DsCamaro1

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS RS L99
Quote:

Stick is fun I had a 97 that was stick but auto is just as fun now. Start using manual mode shift up and down on the gears figure out the delay should be about less than half a secondeach shift ok so when you rpm is getting to 5500 rpm shift the paddle this should put you close but just under 6000rpm when it actually shifts. Im always either in S mode or in manuaul mode screw the drive mode.
DsCamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #24
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Had my L99 since it had about 9k. When I stepped on it it'll go fast. When I was trying do it from a 40 yeah it took a second for the kick down - that was annoying. So I used the paddles to shift down- best shit to do and punch it. Everyday driving I was happy with it.

Had a muffler delete and the AFM did not bother me what so ever. I could hear / feel it every time it went into 4cyl. Didn't bother me personally.

Hope things get better with miles on the car. My car is a fun car with being a auto.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 AM   #25
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
If you really want to fix the auto and have some fun. Get a CAI, headers and a tune. It'll snap your head back. I promise. Third gear rubber? No problem.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #26
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
be careful - the installation on the Range device is a PITA....

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #27
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes your just experiencing the feeling I had with my L99. Revving the engine up a little more between shifts with a paddle shifter did not make it feel better when just trying to drive naturally and hit gears chrisply. I was annoyed little by the AFM, and knew if I had a tune and adjusted shift points to be more like a shift kitted trans that it would wake it up and be more "Automatic" but I knew to really deal with it: it needed a tune to do that voiding the warranty, and despite its big advantage to wake it up it only made sense if commit to the whole deal at once. Sure removing torque management would help bundles and make it wake up more than anything else, but if I was going to make it right I had to look at a stall converter, then headers, CAI, CAM then the tune all at once and it got me to know well I would have to do all of this to a black Camaro vert. when initially I wanted a red coupe. And changing the lifters to remove the AFM lifters, and all that it just seemed easier to eventually just trade for one I wanted then void its warranty.

SO really the question is how committed are you to this car and believe in its reliability? And how much money do you want to spend VS do you think your cars the "one" to keep like forever or a long time as we all know modding you rarely get anything out of on a sale or trade in.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #28
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
The park hill assist in an LS3 is a nuisance in itself.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote