Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
bevot9

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2LT
Car Washing too often?

Can you wash your car too much???
Have a monthly pass to a car wash can it be bad for the paint?
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.
bevot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
An automatic car wash is bad - if it is a hand wash and they frequently use new towels and sponges you should be ok. Be very careful as most of them use very low paid under skilled workers that just do it to earn a days pay. They dont realize that debris can get caught in the cleaning device and scratch the hell out of your car. It really is best to use your own care to do it.

To answer your question as you asked it - no, washing your car too much is not harmful to the paint. It will not wear, fade or lose luster unless you are using a cleaning agent that is corrosive.

My car has only been hand washed and the moron at the car wash did not listen to the fact that I said soap and water only on the polished wheels - needless to say, he scratched 3 of the wheels with some brush they use to remove brake dust. The owner told me it was impossible to scratch them as they would never use a brush on them. When we reviewed the tape he saw me telling the washer 3 times not to use anything but soap and water on the wheels - a few minutes later he sees him going at the wheels with a brush. Now I have a years worth of free car washes on my truck to pay for the damage they did.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
An automatic car wash is bad - if it is a hand wash and they frequently use new towels and sponges you should be ok. Be very careful as most of them use very low paid under skilled workers that just do it to earn a days pay. They dont realize that debris can get caught in the cleaning device and scratch the hell out of your car. It really is best to use your own care to do it.

To answer your question as you asked it - no, washing your car too much is not harmful to the paint. It will not wear, fade or lose luster unless you are using a cleaning agent that is corrosive.

My car has only been hand washed and the moron at the car wash did not listen to the fact that I said soap and water only on the polished wheels - needless to say, he scratched 3 of the wheels with some brush they use to remove brake dust. The owner told me it was impossible to scratch them as they would never use a brush on them. When we reviewed the tape he saw me telling the washer 3 times not to use anything but soap and water on the wheels - a few minutes later he sees him going at the wheels with a brush. Now I have a years worth of free car washes on my truck to pay for the damage they did.
damn im sorry that they did that to ur beautiful camaro :(

but atleast you have a year's worth of free car washes
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Mod007

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
I wash my car at least once a week and wax it once a month. I'd wash it more then once a week if my wife would let me.:upset:
Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
chipsf16

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod007 View Post
I wash my car at least once a week and wax it once a month. I'd wash it more then once a week if my wife would let me.:upset:
Same here. Zaino must be loving me!
Borla Cat Back
chipsf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
DC-SS

Drives: Imperial Blue 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevot9 View Post
Can you wash your car too much???
Have a monthly pass to a car wash can it be bad for the paint?
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.
If you are using the right products it is a good thing to wash your car lots...

Almost all mechanical car washes use a detergent that strips wax. They didn't intend for it to do so, they are just trying to use a little water as possible to remove as much dirt and grime as possible. If you use the right car soap it wont remove any wax you have on the car and you can add more wax to it. Eventually you will want to strip the wax, clay bar the car to remove water deposits (they discolor the wax), and then start waxing all over. I just wouldn't use a mechanical car wash to do it... Unless your car is "just a daily driver" to you... Then I would, lol. Maybe when I get a few door dings and scratches in my car I wont be so picky, lol.
DC-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
mjlash22

Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
Hand wash as many times as you want to. Find a good car soap, cleaning mit/sponge, and a waffle weave microfiber drying towel and you're all set!
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post

Wait they scratched your wheels and you took the offer of a years worth of free car washes?

I would have had him pay to fix the scratches or buy a new rim and then only hand washed my Camaro after that.

NO ONE will touch my car. And you can take that to the bank!
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
DetailAddict

Drives: .
wash your car often with the WRONG PROCESS would be bad. Otherwise, no...

Leo
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Everytime you wash and dry your car your risking putting swirls in it,even
with the 2 bucket method and the best wash and dry media out there.
Black dont lie!....Enjoy your cars though ,when you get alot of swirls and
scratches let a reputable detailer pollish them out, no biggee.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Was washing my twice a week till I put her to bed for the winter.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
Have never washed my car and its 5 months old.Still afraid to get it wet.
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Timberline

Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
I wash mine once a week.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Once a week for me. Any more than that is a bit much imo.