Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Erratic idle while car is moving

I have been having an issue with my car ever since the cam swap, and my buddy that has tuned it for me isn't really sure on the cause, especially since it doesn't always do this. He is very familiar with 4th gen tuning, but there are apparently a lot more options in the software for these cars, and has added to the learning curve.

The problem is, is sometimes when I either have the clutch in, or the car in neutral while there is a speed associated with it, the idle will sometimes jump all over. Like if I am driving down the road and pop it into neutral to coast to a stoplight. It will swing up to ~1500rpm, then stumble down to just a few hundred (almost dies), then back up. As soon as the vehicle reaches 0mph, the idle smooths right out (as much as a cammed car will) to around 900 and has no problems. Really annoying when I am trying to slowly pull it in the garage or something, as it often wants to die.

Anyone have some ideas on where we can start looking as the problem area for this issue?
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
I have been having an issue with my car ever since the cam swap, and my buddy that has tuned it for me isn't really sure on the cause, especially since it doesn't always do this. He is very familiar with 4th gen tuning, but there are apparently a lot more options in the software for these cars, and has added to the learning curve.

The problem is, is sometimes when I either have the clutch in, or the car in neutral while there is a speed associated with it, the idle will sometimes jump all over. Like if I am driving down the road and pop it into neutral to coast to a stoplight. It will swing up to ~1500rpm, then stumble down to just a few hundred (almost dies), then back up. As soon as the vehicle reaches 0mph, the idle smooths right out (as much as a cammed car will) to around 900 and has no problems. Really annoying when I am trying to slowly pull it in the garage or something, as it often wants to die.

Anyone have some ideas on where we can start looking as the problem area for this issue?
There is no quick fix for this you need to have a professional tune done either by me or someone very competent in LS3 Cam tuning.

If you are interested in having me tune it for you email me tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Wasn't necessarily looking for a quick fix...just thought maybe someone would know what (if any) table(s) differentiate idle at 0mph compared to idle at >0mph

It is definitely vehicle speed related. It idles just fine at a stop, and runs just fine with my foot down. Just doesn't want to coast at idle.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Blown1LE

Drives: 2015 Supercharged Camaro 1LE
I am having the same issue with mine since adding the cam. Need to take it back to my tuner. Its better than it was before it was tuned but its still not right at all. Guessing more air is needed to the mix
Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 AM   #5
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Was your tuner able to dial it in?
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
its probably your clutch fuel cut off.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Any update?
Smoky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Mine used to do the same thing. Went to a different tuner and the problem disappeared.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Wasn't necessarily looking for a quick fix...just thought maybe someone would know what (if any) table(s) differentiate idle at 0mph compared to idle at >0mph

It is definitely vehicle speed related. It idles just fine at a stop, and runs just fine with my foot down. Just doesn't want to coast at idle.

There's something called Adaptive Idle that does airflow for moving (coastdown) and neutral gear (stationary). Plenty of settings to adjust in the tune. There are also Spark setting tables for both too. Pics from HPTuners.
Attached Images

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
If your tuning buddy isn't sure what to do with this, he should probably take a copy of the tune and a couple of logs over to the HPTuners forum, or Facebook group. He could post them here too and a few of us (self included) would take a look and see what we can see. There are plenty of different potential causes for hunting like that - but it should be able to be sorted out with some time.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Blown1LE

Hey guys, I have been experiencing the same issue also, the car is totally driveable the way it is now but its not right yet but I just have not had the time to go back to Tampa and have the tuner tweak the tune. Plus after the initial tune was done here in Orlando I have a dead spot at 2200-2400 rpm on e85 and around 2800 rpm with 93 octane. Doesnt happen all the time and only on regular acceleration. Just hits a wall for a quick blip and then its fine. So I need to get that resolved too. Considering buying an Ngauge so I can data log and download tunes etc. I do need to get this resolved but just never seem to have the time to get to Tampa on the weekends lately

Last edited by Blown1LE; 09-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Blown1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Blown1LE

Thanks to the asshole on here that told my tuner I was ragging on his tune which is far from the truth. If you read my last reply I am blaming myself for not going back. I have referred him to many people as my car was running like total shit the day I took it to him and yes, it still needs a minor tweak which I am being honest about and then you go running to him starting shit ? So many people on social media always looking to start crap hiding behind their keyboard. Grow up. I am so ****ing pissed right now when all I did was reply to the latest post on whether there was an update !!
Old 09-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Idle adaptive airflow needs adjusting and I would imagine your final idle airflow will also need to be adjusted.

There's a big thread on how to idle tune on the HPTuners forum. Good read and it'll help if you can do the tuning yourself : https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...de-(w-pictures)

Post up a log of you can
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #14
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1LE View Post
Thanks to the asshole on here that told my tuner I was ragging on his tune which is far from the truth. If you read my last reply I am blaming myself for not going back. I have referred him to many people as my car was running like total shit the day I took it to him and yes, it still needs a minor tweak which I am being honest about and then you go running to him starting shit ? So many people on social media always looking to start crap hiding behind their keyboard. Grow up. I am so ****ing pissed right now when all I did was reply to the latest post on whether there was an update !!
No idea what you're talking about - but if you got a beef with someone you should probably just talk it through with them directly instead of making vague posts about how upset you are.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote