Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #1
neil4374

Drives: Camaro SS 2011 L99
Advice please

Hey guys.
I have a camaro ss 2011 L99.
I live in South Korea.
As my car is imported normal Chevrolet dealers won’t work on it:(
But it’s ok because I found an Amercian muscle car garage where he just works on US cars.
He will do the work and just charge me labor.
He can provide engine oil, brake fluid and coolant etc, but I need to
order the parts.
I am going to change the spark plugs, ignition coils, engine oil filter, passenger air filter.
Where do you guys recommend I buy from in the US and any particular recommendations for what I need!?
Should I buy stock parts?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Depends on what you're wanting to do with the car I guess. If you're just wanting to keep modifications to a minimum if none at all, I'd just get stock/OE/OEM parts for it. If you have a chevy dealer in SK, you should be able to just order the parts off them, even if they don't want to do the work. You can even find what parts you need via american companies like, Texas Speed Engineering, GPI, etc and get the part numbers and just order them off Ebay. I know ebay will ship international. Amazon might also.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
If I was you, and this obviously is my opinion, I would keep it stock. You will get years of trouble free service that way. Though performance upgrades are fun, they sometimes need work, or don't fit right, or need to be returned, whatever. Rarely do I do something aftermarket that doesn't need extra work.

HOWEVER, I recommend NGK Spark plugs. If your ignition coils are working leave them alone, you only need new ones if they aren't working. Spark plug wires you can use stock, but if you want color MSD, Taylor, or Granetelli will be great performance alternatives, one of the few parts that will be better than stock without issues. Passenger air filter you can get from amazon or GMpartsdirect.com. Summit and Jegs are other great sources for parts. Check around this site for other vendors, there are great companies that support this site.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by frey.199 View Post
Depends on what you're wanting to do with the car I guess. If you're just wanting to keep modifications to a minimum if none at all, I'd just get stock/OE/OEM parts for it. If you have a chevy dealer in SK, you should be able to just order the parts off them, even if they don't want to do the work. You can even find what parts you need via american companies like, Texas Speed Engineering, GPI, etc and get the part numbers and just order them off Ebay. I know ebay will ship international. Amazon might also.
Thank you for the great advice
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
If I was you, and this obviously is my opinion, I would keep it stock. You will get years of trouble free service that way. Though performance upgrades are fun, they sometimes need work, or don't fit right, or need to be returned, whatever. Rarely do I do something aftermarket that doesn't need extra work.

HOWEVER, I recommend NGK Spark plugs. If your ignition coils are working leave them alone, you only need new ones if they aren't working. Spark plug wires you can use stock, but if you want color MSD, Taylor, or Granetelli will be great performance alternatives, one of the few parts that will be better than stock without issues. Passenger air filter you can get from amazon or GMpartsdirect.com. Summit and Jegs are other great sources for parts. Check around this site for other vendors, there are great companies that support this site.
Thanks, awesome advice
Old 10-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Gmpartsdirect.com
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
My thoughts are unless you are really up to par on South Korea's motoring laws, I would keep it stock for now. At least while you are there. This will keep issues with their police and the locals to a minimum.

If you are a permanent resident, well then start finding out what is legal, what isn't, and what you can likely get away with. Then mod to your tastes from there. I know when it comes to emissions, some US states will not even ship to other states, such as California, if the part doesn't conform to local laws. You may run into the same obstacles when trying to ship overseas.

You don't want to have issues with export/import when it comes time to leave...if you ever do.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:44 AM   #8
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Build that bioch and show real American muscle....
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #9
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
My thoughts are unless you are really up to par on South Korea's motoring laws, I would keep it stock for now. At least while you are there. This will keep issues with their police and the locals to a minimum.

If you are a permanent resident, well then start finding out what is legal, what isn't, and what you can likely get away with. Then mod to your tastes from there. I know when it comes to emissions, some US states will not even ship to other states, such as California, if the part doesn't conform to local laws. You may run into the same obstacles when trying to ship overseas.

You don't want to have issues with export/import when it comes time to leave...if you ever do.
Thanks for your advice
Old 10-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #10
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Build that bioch and show real American muscle....
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 AM   #11
neil4374

I searched for some ignition coils. The price difference are a lot. 1 coil for the cheapest one is 20 dollars whereas the expensive is 60 dollars. Should I stay away from the cheaper ones.

That said one person above said don’t replace the ignition calls unless there’s a fault! And there’s no fault!
Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil4374 View Post
I searched for some ignition coils. The price difference are a lot. 1 coil for the cheapest one is 20 dollars whereas the expensive is 60 dollars. Should I stay away from the cheaper ones.

That said one person above said don’t replace the ignition calls unless there’s a fault! And there’s no fault!

Yes do not replace them if there still working , just the spark plugs and wires
Old 10-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
neil4374

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Yes do not replace them if there still working , just the spark plugs and wires
Thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 02:07 AM   #14
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
It strange that the Chevy dealer there won't work on your car. I have my Camaro in China and I never have any trouble finding places to work on it (when I don't do it myself). There is a pretty big car scene here at least. Also, this may not be an option for you, but I always bring parts back with me when I travel from the states. I've taken throttle bodies, 4 Brembo brakes, tail lights and lots of miscellaneous parts with my when I travel back from the states. Still, spark plugs and filters should be pretty generic as the engine is used in other GM vehicles so its always a good idea to cross shop and see what other cars use the same parts. For example, while there are no so many Camaro's in China, a lot of parts are shared with Cadillac and that makes it easy to find some parts for because some Cadillacs are made here and many are imported as well.

Hope you find some helpful nuggets here!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote