Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
Assassyn

Drives: 2014 Convertable Camero
added a 320 Alternator and...

Ok I am adding quite the custom system to my Convertible 2014 Camaro. So it is requiring a substantial boost to the current Electrical system. Like enough power to handle around 8,000 Watts. Two batteries.

I added 0 Guage all threw the car, did the big three. And upgraded all the factory Grounds i found threw the car. Added a high Output Alternator as well.
but my car still varies its charge due i believe to its Computer. I start my car and voltage foes to like 15.2-15.6 for a while then it idles down after a mile or two to the standard 14.2 - 14.4. is there a way to have my car charge the batteries at around 15 the entire time?

This is a convertible and it has had the back seat removed to make way for the new system upgrade. i do have pictures of the current "Kicker" setup thats about to be replaced.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1617133278
Attached Images

Assassyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Can’t answer your question but that’s a crazy system. May old Monte used to stall when the bass hit at a red light lol
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
15V is not recommended for charging a battery over an extended period of time. Try to check the voltage level/drop on the batteries when you suspect the greatest load is on the system. That could be helpful in determining what the requirement really is.

Nick
Old 03-31-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
As stated, maintaining 15V is not something you want to do. It's not good for the battery and it's not good for all the 12V electronics to maintain an overvoltage situation.

Is there a problem you are trying to compensate for with overvoltage?
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
Assassyn

Drives: 2014 Convertable Camero
Voltage

Well I am trying to Add am amp and system thats pushing quite a bit more power. No I am not going insaine with the Beats but i am looking at pushing about 3,000 watts to a single Subwoofer replacing the factory subwoofer and two sets of componets (( because i do like to hear my words lol )) on a 800x4 amp.

The amps require quite a bit of power. so i know i will require a second battery. I did what we call the " Big Three " That's upgrading the wiring in the car from the alternator and Battery from the standard 8g wiring to 0g wiring for better/easier/more current flow. And adding off the back of the alternator an additional wire run too go to my secondary battery. I just would like for my secondary battery to be able to charge as well as my main.

I am not a "Bass Head" but i like to do custom and like too be seen. I am looking in June to take the car to Slamology in Indy. I want something extremly eye catchy and with music loud enough to draw some attention.

I was told with my amps i should be looking too keep the voltage on that secondary battery (( the one only powering the sound system )) around 14.4 - 15v. Thinking i might for go the Battery for a couple Lithium Banks though.

Just wondering if anyone here has done builds that are higher end car audio like this and had issues. Someone said to get a PCM Bypass and set the voltage to what 15v i want but i am scared that might cause other major issues.
Assassyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Alright, well here is the math which will undoubtable be disheartening. If the alternator you have on the car right now outputs 320A, and it's outputting 14.4VDC, you have 4,608watts available. If you up the voltage to 15VDC you are at 4,800watts. That 200watts isn't going to mean squat, you need to be approaching 1,000watts for it to be anything meaningful with the load you're going to be demanding. If you want 8,000watts, you'd better be prepared to throw away your A/C and put another alternator in its place.

Having properly sized capacitors will help supply additional power. Avoid large capacitors, instead favor an array of smaller caps. Large caps will supply a high amount of power, but multiple will recharge at a higher rate. Without enough output from the alternator though, your still on borrowed time as the system continues to drain; your just extending that time with caps.

On wire size, there is no such thing as 0 gauge, its 1/0 (pronounced one-aught). Check your wire length and size. If you're under 15 feet, your sized appropriate. For more than 15 or so feet of wire in the 250-320A range, you should probably have 2/0 (or 00-gauge if you want to sound like you have no idea what you're talking about). 1/0 will work but could heat up, more so the longer the wire is. The heat generated will reduce the amperage capacity.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:14 AM   #7
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
IMO 8k is totally un-necessary for a non competition system, i have a hard top and about 1-12 and a set of high end components with 1250 watts total i get nothing but complements on how loud and clean it sounds. plus it has alot of bass.
vert's are hands down the worst type of vehicle for sound.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Here i am thinking my 6ch front stage on a 1200w rms 6ch amp, Helix DSP and 1500w rms mono amp was too much lol
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #9
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
Here i am thinking my 6ch front stage on a 1200w rms 6ch amp, Helix DSP and 1500w rms mono amp was too much lol
i was drooling over your A/C 1500 watt amp thinking WHY get rid of it? i may stimulate your economy a little. you only buy quality once that thing is a jewel. alas i have collected more old school rockford's than i can use.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #10
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i was drooling over your A/C 1500 watt amp thinking WHY get rid of it? i may stimulate your economy a little. you only buy quality once that thing is a jewel. alas i have collected more old school rockford's than i can use.
I dont need two lol. one is PLENTY. i actually dropped the price
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
Old 04-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #11
Leo72793

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
new school cant touch old school
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB