Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Ok, question for you guys, I am going to do the 3.91 gear swap in my L99 that is stalled and cammed with a custom dyno tune, if I have my dealership does the install our Camaro club gets 15% discount on parts and labor, I can get it done for a good price I think, going with the GM Performance kit that has everything, my question is when they flash my computer to correct the speedo for the gear change, will that interfere with my tune we have on the trans now? For the stall and shift points? Or would I have to drive down to my builder / tuner to have the trans retuned. Just wondering. Thanks guys..
It's a good question. I would guess that they overwrite the entire tune back to an OE calibration. I would think you may want your tuner to handle the change. There's not much to it, shouldn't take them much more than the time it takes to re-write the calibration.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #16
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
It's a good question. I would guess that they overwrite the entire tune back to an OE calibration. I would think you may want your tuner to handle the change. There's not much to it, shouldn't take them much more than the time it takes to re-write the calibration.
Thanks sir. So you are saying I should just let my tuner do the gear swap and retune at the same time? Or I can have my dealership do the gear swap and then just drive down to my tune shop and let THEM re calibrate the speedo. Almost forgot, would the gear swap affect my trans tune I have now and would have to have it retuned as well anyway? All this is new to me so pardon my questions as I am learning all I can about these computer controlled cars. Thanks again. Appreciate it much.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Thanks sir. So you are saying I should just let my tuner do the gear swap and retune at the same time? Or I can have my dealership do the gear swap and then just drive down to my tune shop and let THEM re calibrate the speedo. Almost forgot, would the gear swap affect my trans tune I have now and would have to have it retuned as well anyway? All this is new to me so pardon my questions as I am learning all I can about these computer controlled cars. Thanks again. Appreciate it much.
I think with an auto car you need to get calibrated right away after changing the rear gear, or it can cause issues. I guess it's up to you, you could ask your tuner what the install would cost there, or you can ask the dealership if they can perform the change without altering the rest of the tune. I would want to be sure I'm not going to lose my tune, and that I'm not going to have any issues driving the car if I don't get the tune changed right when the gears are done, I don't know the answer to either of those questions unfortunately
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #18
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Yes your gear swap affects your rpms in different gears thus changing your shift points slightly. You trans will need a slight adjustment in its tune. My tuner swapped the diff with one that already had the 391s installed then re calibrated it and adjusted the trans tune.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #19
Baddbird

Drives: 2014 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I think with an auto car you need to get calibrated right away after changing the rear gear, or it can cause issues. I guess it's up to you, you could ask your tuner what the install would cost there, or you can ask the dealership if they can perform the change without altering the rest of the tune. I would want to be sure I'm not going to lose my tune, and that I'm not going to have any issues driving the car if I don't get the tune changed right when the gears are done, I don't know the answer to either of those questions unfortunately
A dealership cannot program a module without an entire rewrite of that module. Alot of people have the misconception that we can pick and choose what is written but it doesnt work that way. Its all or nothing. The Op will be better off having the tuner make the adjustments for the gears before the car is driven.
Baddbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #20
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddbird View Post
A dealership cannot program a module without an entire rewrite of that module. Alot of people have the misconception that we can pick and choose what is written but it doesnt work that way. Its all or nothing. The Op will be better off having the tuner make the adjustments for the gears before the car is driven.
That's kinda what I figured, and it's a good thing for the OP to be aware of. I'm not sure you want to drive it on the old calibration at all with the automatic, I believe I read somewhere this causes some issues. On an M6 car its no problem, I drove for like a week on my 4.10s before I updated the tune, the speedo just read high.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #21
1JEWLDSSRS

Good morning guys, hey thanks for all the quality information! And I kinda figured that would be the outcome. I am going to let my tuner do it all at once, just waiting for him to return my email with a price for the job. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #22
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
An auto is *drivable* with a set of 3.91 gears installed and the trans tune not updated. I installed mine and had to reschedule my apt with the tuner a week later. The problem was my car is a daily driver and I had to get to work. It shifts a little funny, but as long as your not on the strip and keeping your toe out of the engine compartment you'll be fine to drive to your tuner. don't forget your speedo is off.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
An auto is *drivable* with a set of 3.91 gears installed and the trans tune not updated. I installed mine and had to reschedule my apt with the tuner a week later. The problem was my car is a daily driver and I had to get to work. It shifts a little funny, but as long as your not on the strip and keeping your toe out of the engine compartment you'll be fine to drive to your tuner. don't forget your speedo is off.
Thanks sir, I'm just going to wait and let my tuner do everything all at once, just to be safe.