Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #99
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
The CTS-V can be modded for under $3K with about a 75 HP gain. It's almost too easy to pass up......isn't it? I'm assuming the ZL1 will be in the same ballpark. Why wouldn't you other than the warranty issue?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #100
Sctrjn21

Drives: 11 Ford Edge, 09 Lexus
For me window tint right off the lot. I would change the wheels but keep stock ones unless someone is willing to pay a good price for them I would probably change to drilled or slotted rotors and thats probably it. I love the way the hurst short throw looks might consider doing that as well.
Sctrjn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #101
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
I'll probably keep my ZL1 pretty much stock as far as the hp is concerned. Heck with over 550hp stock on this baby it's more then enough for me. My last real car was a 87 grand national and for the past 20 years I have been driving honda accords. To go from an accord to this sweet car is like going from driving a horse and buggy to flying in an F15 jet .

But as far as some cosmetic modes yup I will definately be interested in seeing whats available by the advertisers on this forum. I want my car to have a certain style to it that will make my LZ1 look more unique. I want to have the engine compartment looking like a show quality display piece. I wanta have a huge grin on my face everytime I look at this car in the my drive way, and when I lift up that hood, and when I sit in it, and when I turn on that engine and hear those exhaust pipes. Plus the look on my nieghbors faces when I start this car for the first time in my driveway will be priceless .
But of course the best part of all will be taking this car out on the winding and mountainous roads through Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia with my wife.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #102
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidfvr View Post
I have done some mods on my 2SS/RS and plan to do more. I just wouldn't tinker with the performance side of the ZL1 because it already has what I want, already a hella lot of muscle car, and 550hp is puhlenty for me. Hell, there are things I see people do to their cars that I'd NEVER DREAM OF DOING TO MY CAR! But that is their preference and I respect it. Just giving the guy props for speaking his mind even thought it was unpopular. So....go blow your pistons through your hood.
ZL1 is going to come with most of the mods' I'll want and need. Like you - there are MANY here that are doing A LOT more than I could ever do. Seeing some people break, and turn around and spend several thousand more bucks just sends my jaw to the floor, but I LOVE reading about their comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
Leaving it stock.. you will get beat by quite a few cars already modded on this forum...

But you have a warranty. LOL
Like they say: Someone's always faster - unless your Speedster, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by import_killa View Post
So basically this car has 457ish hp to the ground. That 550ish hp is prolly at the flywheel. So if I was to get it I would lose a ton on hp. It would take a whole lot on money to get this car to where my SS is at now. I agree that it's an awesome looking car I cant see myself getting one.
Well - I've read A6 putting down from about 440-460 RWHP and M6s around 470-almost 500 RWHP. I really don't think ZL1 is going to get much more than about 500 RWHP because the highest ZR1 I've noticed is "only" 530 (I'm admitting I haven't gone out of my way to really look, though). I really don't expect ZL1 to go higher than 580 (though I'd really LOVE IT), so I think 500 RWHP is about the most we could expect. That'd be right about 15% drivetrain loss (bigger tranny, driveshafts, diff', axle shafts, wheels and tires, etc.). I don't think about another 100 RWHP is going to be too much to ask while keeping most of the reliability and life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctrjn21 View Post
For me window tint right off the lot. I would change the wheels but keep stock ones unless someone is willing to pay a good price for them I would probably change to drilled or slotted rotors and thats probably it. I love the way the hurst short throw looks might consider doing that as well.
I keep forgetting about tinting!!! YES!!! That will actually be the first thing, and a clear front bra right after. Thanks for reminding me

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #103
BlwnSS
i like carz

Drives: 99 Formula,85 Trans Am,04 Monte
MOst definately would , headers, pulley drop, tune , and intake .
Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #104
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
I'll probably keep it minor for the first year or so.

-Tint and clear bra within the first week for sure.

-I'll likely debadge the Camaro emblem and ZL1 emblem on the hood as I prefer a cleaner look. Should look very sleek from the profile view like this while still announcing what this car is when viewed from the front or back.

-Black out the bowtie emblems in the front and back.

-Probably add an MGW shifter after a few months of ownership.

Of course, any mod I do I plan to keep all original parts that would enable going back to stock configuration a non issue.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #105
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I've been thinking about that MGW shifter, too. I'll have to see if the GMPP one is any good, but I'm sure there's still slop in it to control NVH and stuff. I know my '95 LT1 with the Hurst Billet Competition Plus and a later B&M Ripper that I had on there made a good amount of gear noise, but I didn't mind too much. My headers, 4-inch Borla catback and CAI made more

I'll definately be keeping parts, too. I don't see a reason why I'd go back to stock, but I sometime find uses for older OEM take-off stuff. Shoot! I replaced a Hotchkis PHR on my '02 with a double adjustable chromoly PHR from BMR, and actually cut the Hotchkis bar and used it on my '93 4Runner (I have a small lift that required some adjustability). I was even able to reuse the Toyota axle-side bushings in the Hotchkis bar!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #106
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Performance-wise I think I'm good with the ZL1. I'm hoping the Boston Acoustic speakers don't sound like sh*t like my 2010's did, or that will be the first thing I change after tint. Other than that, I'll black out the bowties and eventually get it painted in ABM or Jet Stream.

I'm not big on racing, so I'll probably make it a show car.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #107
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Why do you need more than 6 piston calipers?
Bigger brakes doesn't automatically mean more pistons, a larger caliper (still 6-piston) which larger pistons would work, as would larger rotors!

However, the ZL1 brakes are most certainly more efficient then ever before and will work phenomenally with a new set of pads, lines and fluid

And yes, regardless of being a shop owner or not, I would, and will most certainly mod it! A nice cam, intake, pulley, headers, exhaust and tune would be simply awesome.

As someone mentioned before, I would mod the hell out of a Veyron if I ever had the chance
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #108
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
I am going to buy one and have been thinking about what I would change.
I would add a cold air intake if it does not come with one. Maybe headers and a different exhaust but not sure with the dual mode it comes with. You can bypass the system and leave it open. Dual mode is a $1000 option on the vette. I would probably not get it if it is an option. You can take the $1000 towards a good aftermarket system.

Not sure I would change much else. The car will be over 550 I am guessing. How much more do you need?
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #109
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
Bigger brakes doesn't automatically mean more pistons, a larger caliper (still 6-piston) which larger pistons would work, as would larger rotors!

However, the ZL1 brakes are most certainly more efficient then ever before and will work phenomenally with a new set of pads, lines and fluid

And yes, regardless of being a shop owner or not, I would, and will most certainly mod it! A nice cam, intake, pulley, headers, exhaust and tune would be simply awesome.

As someone mentioned before, I would mod the hell out of a Veyron if I ever had the chance

Ahh crap I need to cover my eyes when I read posts like this. Thinking about what could be done with this car is like remembering my youth and my dad saying here's some money to buy candy when we were in the candy store .
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #110
Sctrjn21

Drives: 11 Ford Edge, 09 Lexus
Quote:
I keep forgetting about tinting!!! YES!!! That will actually be the first thing, and a clear front bra right after. Thanks for reminding me
No Worries Tint is always first done right off the Lot I take it to get windows Tinted, I think Next would be a full detail clay bar and all. I think my best mod would be a Trunk Monkey so anyone touches or comes close to my ZL1 well get jacked up

Sctrjn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #111
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I can't see doing any serious mods. Maybe like a pulley and a cold air intake, but nothing serious/permanent and also easily reversible.

As far as ride height goes, I am willing to bet the car lowers itself when its in sport mode or something. There are different settings.
This is pretty much how I feel too. It's rare that a car has this many goodies out of the box for a somewhat reasonable price.
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #112
ZL One

Drives: '12 ZL1 M6 IOM (1 of 107) #1252
For those who now have a '12 ZL 1, is anybody planning on leaving it completely stock?
ZL One is offline   Reply With Quote