Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Jack13SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS L99
SW Retro Chambered question

Does this system only come in a 3" and if not does anyone run a 2.5" system??

Thinking about breaking down and getting it done finally. My only concern is that other exhaust clips I've heard from other set ups in 3" diameter pipe do not sound good to me. But all of the SW Retro Chambered vids/clips I've seen sound perfect.

Just want to make sure I'm getting that sound, and it is in fact a 3" only system, and there are not 2.5" or whatever else options available.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack13SS View Post
Does this system only come in a 3" and if not does anyone run a 2.5" system??

Thinking about breaking down and getting it done finally. My only concern is that other exhaust clips I've heard from other set ups in 3" diameter pipe do not sound good to me. But all of the SW Retro Chambered vids/clips I've seen sound perfect.

Just want to make sure I'm getting that sound, and it is in fact a 3" only system, and there are not 2.5" or whatever else options available.
I have SW 3" ZL1 retro exhaust connected to 1 7/8 SW long tubes. The aqustic engineering done (no cats and no mufflers) is very impressive. I go to a lot of shows and drag and autocross. My exhaust sound is the biggest compliment I get. In my last autocross the owner of a new Gt350 came up and wanted to know who made my exhaust. He was very envious and now refers to my car as el Diablo.
PFADT stage 3 suspension kit, SW LTH, SW cat less retro exhaust, MGW short throw, 3.91 gears, MRR Z28 wheels, Roto Fab CAI, SLP underpully, 255cc ported heads, TSP 229/236 Cam, ZL1 pump, Street Slayer Twin Carbon clutch, ID850 injectors, Snow Stage III Meth kit
480whp/460wtq tuned by Dynosty
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
LSXDoc

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS/1LE
I am also running the ZL1 version (just has different tips) with Stainless Power longtubes and high flow cats. It is 3" all the way and it sounds amazing. It is by far the best sounding exhaust and I get more than my fair share of compliments. You CANNOT go wrong with this exhaust combo!
Stainless Power LTs w/ CATs
Stainless Works ZL1 Res. Delete 3" Retro Catback
DST Ported ZL1 TB
619RWHP / 539LB-FT
LSXDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have the SS version and it sounds awesome. Are you doing HF cats or no cats? I have their headers as well with no cats and I have a spot about 12" long where it narrows to 2.5" and ran back out to 3"
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
LSXDoc

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
I have the SS version and it sounds awesome. Are you doing HF cats or no cats? I have their headers as well with no cats and I have a spot about 12" long where it narrows to 2.5" and ran back out to 3"
You should be able to get the pipes from Stainless works that will eliminate the neck down portion. Call them and ask
Stainless Power LTs w/ CATs
Stainless Works ZL1 Res. Delete 3" Retro Catback
DST Ported ZL1 TB
619RWHP / 539LB-FT
LSXDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
flyer08
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXDoc View Post
You should be able to get the pipes from Stainless works that will eliminate the neck down portion. Call them and ask
Cool thanks. They were on the car when I bought it so didn't know
Old 07-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
Jack13SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
No cats. Current set up is good, but everything I've heard is better! By the sounds of it, must just be a 3" system.

What's the difference, besides the quad tips, between the SS and ZL1 version?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
I have SW 3" ZL1 retro exhaust connected to 1 7/8 SW long tubes. The aqustic engineering done (no cats and no mufflers) is very impressive. I go to a lot of shows and drag and autocross. My exhaust sound is the biggest compliment I get. In my last autocross the owner of a new Gt350 came up and wanted to know who made my exhaust. He was very envious and now refers to my car as el Diablo.
That's only because it's a really loud exhaust. Any super loud exhaust on a V8 sounds impressive and gets a lot of compliments. I have LT headers and a muffler delete and people are impressed all the time. The SW retro sounds very similar to a muffler delete except it's a littler more refined and less raspy at high RPM
Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
That's only because it's a really loud exhaust. Any super loud exhaust on a V8 sounds impressive and gets a lot of compliments. I have LT headers and a muffler delete and people are impressed all the time. The SW retro sounds very similar to a muffler delete except it's a littler more refined and less raspy at high RPM
I can confirm this, someone at my local gym has LT Headers with full retro chambered catback... sounds so ****ing disappointingly similar to my muffler delete.

Don't get me wrong, there is a noticeable difference, but for $1,000!? Hell no. If you want a poor man's SW Retro Chambered catback, get muffler delete. If you want to have one because you can say you have one, then by all means.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #10
flyer08
Account Suspended

So what more are you guys looking for? All the compliments I get from people are nice but I like the sound of it myself
Old 07-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #11
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Wrong!
I had the muffler delete(SW) before this SW 3" retro system and the difference is day and night. The sound is much deeper with a throaty sound and NO drone or rasp. I also have the 3" x-pipe all SW. Not even close to muffler delete.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 AM   #12
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack13SS View Post
No cats. Current set up is good, but everything I've heard is better! By the sounds of it, must just be a 3" system.

What's the difference, besides the quad tips, between the SS and ZL1 version?
Yes, please, what is the difference btwn the SS and ZL1 versions?
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #13
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Yes, please, what is the difference btwn the SS and ZL1 versions?
At the time I bought it, it comes with quad tips as opposed to duel SS tips. Also the exhaust is designed to go around the much beefier Zl1 rear diff. Very important if you ever wanna upgrade from an SS diff.

Sorry homeless man, I'm going to have to disagree with you too. I've seen and heard other exhaust system straight pipe/ muffler delete. This system is very loud at WOT but is also more than that. I think SW really did some homework when they designed it.
PFADT stage 3 suspension kit, SW LTH, SW cat less retro exhaust, MGW short throw, 3.91 gears, MRR Z28 wheels, Roto Fab CAI, SLP underpully, 255cc ported heads, TSP 229/236 Cam, ZL1 pump, Street Slayer Twin Carbon clutch, ID850 injectors, Snow Stage III Meth kit
480whp/460wtq tuned by Dynosty
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
Jack13SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I can confirm this, someone at my local gym has LT Headers with full retro chambered catback... sounds so ****ing disappointingly similar to my muffler delete.

Don't get me wrong, there is a noticeable difference, but for $1,000!? Hell no. If you want a poor man's SW Retro Chambered catback, get muffler delete. If you want to have one because you can say you have one, then by all means.
That's my set up right now. LT's, no cats, muff/res. delete with quality stainless muffler deletes. Sounds muh fuggin badass. But I guess I'd hoped for a more quality muh fuggin badass sound from the retro cat back.

And yes, it's difficult to justify a $1,000 price for a sound that is similar to what I have right now. Might as well just leave her alone. Sounds good anyway!