Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
FlaSS

Drives: GTO
Sun Roof?

Any good pics of a car with the sunroof?

What about the double bump on the roof, how is the sunroof going to deal with that?

And, is the Sunroof going to slide open, inside or outside? Or, just tilt open?

Thanks for any info.
FlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Welcome to camaro5

This should answer most of your questions

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=sunroof
Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Albion

Drives: IOM 1ss
IMO,the sun-roof looks like a cheap after thought.Doing absolutely no justice to the effort that has been put into the rest of the car.
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albion View Post
IMO,the sun-roof looks like a cheap after thought.Doing absolutely no justice to the effort that has been put into the rest of the car.
Ironically enough, when we asked about it they explained it. Turns out they were concerned about raising the roof too high to make the car look awkward, but they wanted to be able to slide the glass into the roof (like you were probably expecting). But the designs took away from too much headroom in the car, and they made the wise decision to forgo the hidden sunroof and use the design you see now.

At least that is how I remember Scott explaining it to us.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
there are no good pics of the sunroof because it looks terrible opened. and it looks so terrible because they had to make it go outside the car when open, to give us a good low roof line.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah, I was going to order a sunroof, but those pictures make it look not so good, especially when you remember you also loose the reverse mohawk. I'll be saving my money and not checking that option box.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
yeah i didnt order it on mine. the hard top with rev. mohawk looks so much better.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
I have a 2LT/RS, RJT, Cyber Grey Metalic Stripes, 20" Polished wheels, and Sunroof on order. My question is how does the inside of the car look with the sunroof and how does it look without it. I also have a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T that has a sunroof and the overhead console ends just before the sunroof opening, it also has a inside cover that shields you from the sun when the sunroof is closed, also the sunroof slides into the roof behind it. I know that on the Camaro the sunroof opens upo, outside of the roof. If there are any pictures of how this area looks in a Camaro with and without a sunroof, could they please be posted.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
paulm85
Red Jewl

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, M6
I am not sure if those pictures are out there Walt, I have been looking at a crapload of pictures of this car and all kinds of different angles. I have never seen what the overhead inside looks like with or without the sunroof. I am sure if there are some then they will be posted though.

I am also one of the ones who ordered a fully loaded 2ss without the roof. I need as much headroom as possible, being 6'4", and also because the roof line looks terrible with it open IMO.
paulm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The problem is I can go to any reputable aftermarket and have a quality moonroof installed that opens INTO the roof, with minimal headroom loss.

I rather doubt GM's engineers on this tidbit.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The problem is I can go to any reputable aftermarket and have a quality moonroof installed that opens INTO the roof, with minimal headroom loss.

I rather doubt GM's engineers on this tidbit.
Minimal is more than zero. Apparently to get the roof lines they wanted they cut it down to the wire.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
This thread just appeared with good shots of it open, i.e. up over the roof http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10963
Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Minimal is more than zero. Apparently to get the roof lines they wanted they cut it down to the wire.

And I would have been more than happy to have a few inches less of headroom...... you're buying a personal performance coupe. You want head room buy a school bus.

That's the approach GM's engineers should have taken.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Ironically enough, when we asked about it they explained it. Turns out they were concerned about raising the roof too high to make the car look awkward, but they wanted to be able to slide the glass into the roof (like you were probably expecting). But the designs took away from too much headroom in the car, and they made the wise decision to forgo the hidden sunroof and use the design you see now.

At least that is how I remember Scott explaining it to us.
That's 100% right. What looks like an afterthought was actually looked at VERY closely...I think we all might be surprised at how many different attempts they went through before arriving at a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
And I would have been more than happy to have a few inches less of headroom...... you're buying a personal performance coupe. You want head room buy a school bus.

That's the approach GM's engineers should have taken.
They probably did that with HVAC, integrated nav, among many other things. When you're marketing to new audiences while still in a highly competitive segment, you can't rough house your way through everything and expect people to like it. I don't know how tall you are; but an inch can mean the world to taller people, and those who like to sit higher in their seats.

imo, I don't like any sunroof; but I prefer this design to the in-roof design. I think it adds flair when its open.