Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Hood dent from strut cap under hood - UPDATED

OK, here is my issue...
2014 SS, store for winter, garage queen. Yesterday I took the cover off, checked everything out, wheels, body interior, exterior etc., removed battery tender, all of my bounce sheets for mice... Starts right up. I let her warm up for 15 minutes or so and go for a ride with the wife... glad to be back on the road, no issues. Came home around dark and parked back in garage, all is good in the world.
Today, take some boxes out to the garage after work, look over at the car and see a "bump" on the hood, passenger side. I take a look and there is a bump with cracked paint about an 1/8" high and 1/4" in rough diameter... WTF!? I open the hood and it is right in line with the hard plastic cap on the strut nut/bolt. I checked and it seemed a little loose (the small black cap) nothing major. Can it be possible this dented my hood? I did not hit any bumps at all in my ride... I am sick. I keep all dust etc. off the car, can't believe this popped up and trying to figure out what caused. Nobody goes in the garage, nobody else drives, no kids. Anyone ever have this happen?
Thanks

Last edited by 14ssrs6man; 06-30-2017 at 02:52 PM.
14ssrs6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Well, you made me look. I can't see where it's ever made contact but...both caps were loose on mine. And they screw down. I guess it's possible for them to back off far enough to make contact with the underside of the hood? And that hood is thin!

I can empathize. I'm pretty anal too.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ssrs6man View Post
OK, here is my issue...
2014 SS, store for winter, garage queen. Yesterday I took the cover off, checked everything out, wheels, body interior, exterior etc., removed battery tender, ... Anyone ever have this happen?
Thanks
Is it possible you left something on top of the strut tower (tool or misc. item) before you closed the hood, or battery tender connector was in that area?
The hood is aluminum and does dent very easily. You could put some Play Doh or clay on top of the cap and slowly close the hood to get an idea of how much clearance you have.
How many miles on the car?
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
14ssrs6man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Is it possible you left something on top of the strut tower (tool or misc. item) before you closed the hood, or battery tender connector was in that area?
The hood is aluminum and does dent very easily. You could put some Play Doh or clay on top of the cap and slowly close the hood to get an idea of how much clearance you have.
How many miles on the car?
Ron
Hey Ron,
no tools etc. my battery tender I run the leads up from underneath... I looked at it this morning and put a few pieces of paper between the hood and cap and there is an impression, I am going to stop in at the dealer this am and see if he has ever heard or seen this... they are very close to the hood.
My car has 8500 miles.
Thanks!
Dan
Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Is the cap damaged or cracked......it has to be up quit a bit to hit the hood. Also if it was up that high you should have noticed the hood not closing correctly . Post up some picks so when can help you solve this mystery .
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
14ssrs6man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Is the cap damaged or cracked......it has to be up quit a bit to hit the hood. Also if it was up that high you should have noticed the hood not closing correctly . Post up some picks so when can help you solve this mystery .
It had to have happened when the hood was closed, there was no damage when I left for my ride, after the cover came off, I wiped down with detail spray so I know it wasn't there. I will get some pics today.

I stopped at the dealer today, he said he has never seen that but it definitely looks like it was caused by the cap from the strut. He is going to check for any bulletins and his network to see if anyone else has experienced.

I will update as I hear more,
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
14ssrs6man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ssrs6man View Post
It had to have happened when the hood was closed, there was no damage when I left for my ride, after the cover came off, I wiped down with detail spray so I know it wasn't there. I will get some pics today.

I stopped at the dealer today, he said he has never seen that but it definitely looks like it was caused by the cap from the strut. He is going to check for any bulletins and his network to see if anyone else has experienced.

I will update as I hear more,
Thanks!
Here are some pics, not the best... forgot to mention that no, the cap is not cracked... that thing is hard though and the hood is thin aluminum...
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Has anyone removed the cap to verify the nut is tight?
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
14ssrs6man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Has anyone removed the cap to verify the nut is tight?
Yes, that was checked this am at the dealer...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Has anyone checked from underneath to see if there is a broken spring/perch or other strut related component that would cause excessive upward travel.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I wouldn't imagine it would be the cap, I have large strut covers and the hood does not hit them even when driving over bumps.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
14ssrs6man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Has anyone checked from underneath to see if there is a broken spring/perch or other strut related component that would cause excessive upward travel.
Not at this point, when I take it back in I will have that all checked out.
Thanks!
Dan
Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
14ssrs6man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I wouldn't imagine it would be the cap, I have large strut covers and the hood does not hit them even when driving over bumps.
I hear ya, I just have no other explanation at this point
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Do you have an underhood pic to show us?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote