Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
general mod/warranty question, and something unexpected

just got a new 2012 2lt rs...i'm not into racing, never have been. my 2nd car which was essentially my first 'newer' purchase was my old 05 trailblazer - i strictly went SUV as i had an 18" sub and was into insane systems at a point growing up...i soon grew out of that and was being beat by the gas mileage on it too so i made the decision to switch to a car - and when i saw the mileage stats for the camaro, i about died. they're not the absolute best, but a lot better thant he 12-14mpg i was getting with the TB.

Anyway.

I didn't buy it for top speed, I would of grabbed the SS of that was the case. The speed is a plus or bonus for me, the prime concern for me was gas mileage, style (look), year and features. the camaro fit. now, knowing this..

I figured I'd do 'small' mods to the car, but became concerned as I don't know what exactly voids a warranty, or how to avoid voiding the warranty, etc.

CAI was the first thing that came to mind, and maybe suspension upgrades later down the line. That's about it (for now, heh)

Will a CAI void/effect the warranty?

Onto OnStar...i'm a Ron Paul fan, so you can understand already where I stand when it comes to personal privacy. I hear OS likes to send data back and forth and they do essentially have control of your car and the government can intervene and literally shut your car down (local law enforcement usually)...anyway, i have nothing to run from or be scared about i just don't want a company data mining my ass, so...

Has it been ascertained how to disable onstar, and if so, will it effect the warranty?

Enough about the mods...now...let me ask the community....

WHY in the world do people on the road treat nice cars like shit? I drove a blacked out TB with a banging system and nobody came near me, or really messed with me on the road. Once or twice but it was typical punks on the road who needed their asses handed to them...but in the week and a half i've had the car, i've been tail-gated almost a dozen times, people have tried to 'intimidate' me with their acura TL or their buick lacrosse, cars that would really under most circumstances have no shot and are of much lesser cost.

In almost 5 years of driving i've maybe encountered maybe 3 or 4 'level 5 crazy' drivers who fly at irrational speeds, pass people dangerously, almost cause accidents, etc. This is usually in a POS car, with some punk driving it.

In 2 weeks I've dealt with at least 4.

Does this happen to other people? I just saw a thread about someone's camaro being valdalized? Is this all just jealously from those who cannot afford the car or what?
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
my dealer told me that changing the muffler would void my warranty. Needless to say he is not my dealer anymore. your milage may vary. Our cars also attract a good bit of attention sometimes good sometimes bad , comes with the deal I guess. As far as the onstar thing goes, yes they can immobalize your car and track it via gps. they can also listen in if they want to. I am not a criminal so I could care less if they know where I am or what I am doing.