Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
What The!!

So this past weekend I was coming back from Modesto from a show and was doing about 80 or so and all of a sudden my car beeped at me and said reduced power for something? It all happend fast. Couldn't drive over like 25mph and the car was shaking too like it threw a rod or something. I have a 2014 ZL1 and it only has 7000 miles on it. I pulled over to side of road looked in engine bay no leakes or disconnects. Thought I was going to have to call onstar and get towed, but I started the car back up reved engine a few times and everything seemed ok. Got back on highway and was able to drive normal home. I only kept it at 65mph though. Since then I have been driving it like normal, even punching it here and there to see if it happens again. Nothing........thank goodnes. But I'm stumped. I did replace my throttle body and put a catch can on about 3 weeks ago...
Any comments would be appreciated..
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Is your CEL on?
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Maybe the ECU didn't like you driving at the same speed. I believe the break in procedure says to very your speed...

Not sure?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Sounds like a misfire! If you have OnStar, they can diagnose it if it threw a code!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

maybe I'll call onstar on way home tonight and see
.........I read somewhere in the past like on the ss's this was happening when there was a bad throttle body, but they got the message reduced power stabili track something. Mine didn't say anything about stabili track as far as I can remember..............and for god sakes it's a ZL1 it shouldn't have issues. :-)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Mine did it on a road trip before I modded and I did the same thing. Pulled over opened hood checked everything then restarted it and it was fine except CEL light was on. I got back on hwy and it put it back to 85mph and it ran fine the CEL light went off on its own after 10mins or so. I took to a dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. That was when I had only 700miles on it. Never did it again EVER! The dealership here where I bought it also checked it and said all was good. I have since modded and it's never done it anymore. Service manager also said it must have detected a misfire and shut it down. He did say the engine goes to safe mode to protect itself. But that any small electrical anomaly can trigger it and what ever happened didn't happen enough to record a code because CEL wasn't on anymore. His words.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
On the SS , at least on mine it was some sensor on the throttle body that wasn't ( talking) to the sensor on the exhaust somewhere .
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyZL-1 View Post
Mine did it on a road trip before I modded and I did the same thing. Pulled over opened hood checked everything then restarted it and it was fine except CEL light was on. I got back on hwy and it put it back to 85mph and it ran fine the CEL light went off on its own after 10mins or so. I took to a dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. That was when I had only 700miles on it. Never did it again EVER! The dealership here where I bought it also checked it and said all was good. I have since modded and it's never done it anymore. Service manager also said it must have detected a misfire and shut it down. He did say the engine goes to safe mode to protect itself. But that any small electrical anomaly can trigger it and what ever happened didn't happen enough to record a code because CEL wasn't on anymore. His words.
yeah my CEL came on for a bit too, but then went off.......I'm hoping it's done throwing tantrums!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
13-ZL1

Drives: GM
I have a friend who also has a ZL1 who experienced the same symptoms as the OP and is into week three at the dealer which determined that a loose ground for the ignition coils caused the missfire/detonation. Which now caused low compression in two cylinders, and now they are going to replace the engine.
13-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13-ZL1 View Post
I have a friend who also has a ZL1 who experienced the same symptoms as the OP and is into week three at the dealer which determined that a loose ground for the ignition coils caused the missfire/detonation. Which now caused low compression in two cylinders, and now they are going to replace the engine.
Good info!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Just get the code, it will tell you want caused it. The codes that cause that are pretty specific. I had the same thing happen with a bad gas pedal when one of the sensors had a intermittent flat spot. It'd drive fine and then randomly trigger the low power mode, restart and it drove fine for a while, then would fire again randomly. Quite obnoxious. New pedal and all has been good since.
There are lots of things that trigger that though.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

So took car to dealer today to get it looked at and the code that it was showing was for something with throttle body. He said that basically the engine is getting more air flow that can maintain or handle and it shuts it down. Sounds like bs to me, but I guess I'll take off my VMAX throttle body and put the factory one back on and see if that does it. This only happens if I really hammer down on the gas.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
I had my Z28 smoged and after the power steering and ride control stopped working. The Smog guy said the ECU would reset in a few blocks of driving.
It all worked fine after I did that.

Sounds like TB is what did it. The CC if hooked up right should have no effect.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
AquaSSRS

Drives: formerly a AGM ZL1 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad's ZL1 View Post
So took car to dealer today to get it looked at and the code that it was showing was for something with throttle body. He said that basically the engine is getting more air flow that can maintain or handle and it shuts it down. Sounds like bs to me, but I guess I'll take off my VMAX throttle body and put the factory one back on and see if that does it. This only happens if I really hammer down on the gas.
My friends did the same thing on the way to the dyno to get his custom tune. He had a 10%pulley, Vmax, CAI and headers. He was actually taking it very easy and he got the same code. At the shop the owner/tuner said the same thing and basically the MAF is seeing too much air coming for the preset parameters and suspects a leak and shuts down power so you don't hurt the motor. Since the custom tune he has had no issues with it.
I have had my Vmax TB on for probably 1500 miles and some racing and have had no issues.

Last edited by AquaSSRS; 06-05-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add stuff
AquaSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote