Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 04-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #1947
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
^

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #1948
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
OK, track prep continues...

Did the Garry Dean's wash method (since it just has minor dirt on it):

and then put on the numbers and Road Warrior Plus:

Next will be setting up the Apex Pro, GoPro, Tools, and filling the E85 cans!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 04-10-2018 at 11:40 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #1949
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Prep is done! 23 gallons of E85, tools, and goodies ready for the morning...

Hope it warms up a bit but should be fun...

-Don
Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #1950
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Have fun Don and looking forward to hearing (or reading) about it!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #1951
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Old 04-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #1952
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Well, my track day -- WAS A BLAST 90% fantastic, 10% eh...

So, 3 things I'll go over
  1. Toyo R888Rs
  2. Apex Pro
  3. Track/Car specific items

Toyos

F'ing AMAZING tire! Track temp was 40° with a 45 MPH wind -- un-real weather for this time of year -- max temps @ the track were 54°. My instructor asked what changes I made since the last time we drove together -- I said Toyos and Wideband -- nothing else.

As always at this track -- he drove first -- Toyos cold pressure 28lbs front and rear, but by the time he did the first 1/2 lap, these tires were ready to go -- @ 40° temps -- and off he went -- man, the power at hand and the grip was just unbelievable -- for my car -- he just giggle and laughed. His exact words were 'The Toyo's transformed the car and really helped put the power down'. I'd say that's pretty awesome to hear from a guy who races quite a bit.

My turn (after he did 3 laps ;o) and I was able to just take off -- was able to really hit the turns, accelerate in mid turn and was ready by the time I was out of the turn and parallel to get on it, and it stuck. I have my Apex Pro analysis to show you - the biggest issue was traffic, Green group had 2 groups and 50% was first time track first time racing period. We go over that next.

As for the Toyos -- I'm sold, can't wait to see how they do when it warms up!

Apex Pro

I love this thing. Gave outstanding real time info on my performance however; I need to get into practice to see the LEDs. The REAL kicker is the after session/lap timer AND analysis! That is simply amazing. Below is a pic on my iPhone (the iPhone version is the only one right now that saves your session):

So, the Green areas are where I was working it right -- exercising correctly what the car could do -- I was killing it in most of the turns, yellow means I was close but could do more, and red means -- got to do better. You'll notice the vast majority of red was due to TRAFFIC and the lack of POINT BY's. My instructor was having me get on it and get close to the cars in front, but they just didn't quite have the tactics down (this was our 3rd session so we'll give them the benefit of the doubt here as my group had a lot of first time/first timers).

As you can see, the feedback from the Apex Pro is amazing. This allows me to review what I did and where I can make improvements. I can also use this to review with my videos and then see where and what conditions I ran into. My braking going into the turns was just what I needed it to be along with accelerating out of the turn -- I need to hold more power in mid turn (thus the yellow). Once I get the LEDs in my scan, I'll be able to utilize the real-time info it provides -- just unbelievable -- My instructor LOVED it.

Track/Car specific items

Eagles Canyon really knows how to put on a show for folks -- with the scheduling, folks who instruct/volunteer to the food, just fantastic. They are not at NCM's level, but for a local track, excellent job.

Now they had too many in the intermediate level 2 group (yellow) over driving their cars -- LOTs of off track spin outs however; it was the blue group (intermediate level 1) that took the day's prize:

A red C6 Corvette re-enacting the Dukes of Hazzard Jump!

There is a sharp 90° turn @ turn 7:

Well, he came too close in turn 7, hit the 'hill' in the early part of the turn, went airborne OVER the track, hit the other side, rolled down the hill, through a barbed wire fence and into the Hay bales! Right after that happened he caught the hay on fire, then the grass! He was lucky as he backed up. The video shows how windy it was -- I caught the fire right AFTER it started -- and boy the flames were high enough (after the video) that you could see it was taller than the firemen (video was before fire trucks got there):

Took almost 2 hours out of our track day -- and they warned EVERYONE about the high winds and staying on track to NOT cause a grass fire.

Myself and another driver watch the vette leave the track -- and probably escape since the fire trucks were still there...

Wow...

Car Specifics

Early in the morning, my car went into limp mode -- 2 things caused this -- high fuel rail pressure (when I stomped on the car in a straight-away -- not smoothly either) and TCM said -- too much torque. Luckly it was on the last lap so I just pulled it in, filled up with E85, cleared the code and all was well for the rest of the day.

My last session, last lap before cool-down, not as lucky -- the oil filter started leaking in on the Misimoto Sandwhich plate -- enough for them to meat ball me. I pulled onto the paddock and saw it was a very small leak and nothing big. No issues getting it home. I'm going to install new seals for the sandwich, new filter, and verify that was really it.

Next, my master cylinder is leaking -- the usual thing -- seam -- so new one is on order -- will be getting a bench bleeder this time.

The car was like a bolt of lighting on the straight-aways. Guys were coming up to me while we were in line for track and asking me if I had a super charger -- which I said yes. They said they could hear it screaming as I 'blew' by them like they were standing still -- the tires and cool air just made this into a rocket -- I was dis-believing what was happening, very excited and humbled by it all.

A few of the instructors came up to me after hearing me and my instructor talk about NCM and CFest -- told them they must go to NCM.

All in all, beyond excited for a near 60 year old fat guy -- and all a present for my birthday (which was on Friday) -- wife said I can go again next month! Eagles Canyon puts this on once a month -- can't go that often but, what a great chance to race when I can't get to NCM...

I'll fix the other items (oil temps still near 267° whether its 80° or 40° so its good for now) and get it ready to go! I'll put on my 'daily' Toyo R888Rs and save this set for track days...

So, the final note of the day, my instructor was very please with how I did, he's bumping me up to the intermediate 1 (blue group). His comment was "we're too fast for the green group".

So much fun, can't wait for another track day! I do have some video but I'll need to get it off the GoPro and SJCam and see if they are good enough. If so, I'll see if I can get it into RaceRender...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 04-16-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:15 AM   #1953
Ashen 6.2

Great report (except for the grass fire part)! Sounds like you had a blast and the car did really well!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Old 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #1954
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Apex Pro

What I really like about the Apex Pro:

I’m reviewing mine again today as I’m finding more features have been added since this video...

-Don
Old 04-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #1955
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
Great report (except for the grass fire part)! Sounds like you had a blast and the car did really well!
Thanks!

I didn’t bother with recording the first session since I was getting used to the new tires (good thing too, went limp mode).

Second session was recorded but, LOTS of slaty ‘sailor’ talk so I’ll keep that one for me ;o). My best time in that session was 2.21.10

Third session GoPro died but I did use the Apex Pro. I really love that thing!

My best time was 2.16.60 so I shaved off 5 seconds there while still dealing with traffic (which is why I can’t show the video from all the ‘complaining’ ;o). There were ALOT of folks in the green group — they said the most they’ve ever had — plus they were giving tour laps at the same time, which really slowed things down. From turn 6 to 7, 125 down the straightaway but that didn’t happen too often due to traffic (135 to 140 is very possible there before the braking zone)

Over all, shaved 5 to 6 seconds per session. Wish I could have done my 4th session but ran out of time due to the fire (and oil leak). I’d like to have seen how much faster I would be. I was getting comfortable with the tires and throttle control that I started pushing more speed in the turns and rolling on the throttle coming out of them. My instructor is a blast — we both were having fun ;op

Looks like I may do May’s event for fun. Just racing once a month there is still a ton of prep work — mind you I’m anal about my safety but crap can still happen ;o)

Overall, I’d love to see more Camaro5 folks do this. A ton of fun!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 04-18-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #1956
Ashen 6.2

Looks & sounds like a blast. I would love to do something like that at some point... but also afraid it might start a itch that I can't scratch... Lol.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #1957
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
Looks & sounds like a blast. I would love to do something like that at some point... but also afraid it might start a itch that I can't scratch... Lol.
I have a serious rash from all the scratching ;o)

-Don
Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #1958
Gotit4cheap16

Drives: Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Now that things sat overnight, hooked up the lines and fittings. Had to massage the fuel line cover per instructions:

next, I had to disconnect the fuel line:

Install the new hardline setup from DSX and reconnect the fuel line -- note how the factory connector its 'locked' in place:

Connect to the pump and route the hoses:

Tighten all fittings, make sure the hoses are tight -- don't ask ;o)

After verifying, turn the key on but don't start -- this should prime the system and if any leaks show, stop, clean, tighten, and repeat.

The Hotchkis adds some protection!

Now that I know there are no leaks, I'll install the wire harness for the fuel pump. You'll look through every socket you have, but you'll probably be like me, and need 'ignition' wrenches (like 9/32). Heading out to get one -- ah the OLD days when these were needed...

Note;
Turns out 8mm worked fine!

Have to drop the passenger's side splash shield/wheel liner and route the wire harness -- not a big deal!

Then, the DSX FPCM...

-Don
Hey Don, quick question. Could you by any chance post pics of how the positive and negative wires on your aux fuel. Pump. Under the car is hooked up? There are plastic pieces and I don't know of the wires go over then or under to touch the metal. At wot, my fuel Pressure according to my aeroforce gauge drops to 43psi and I'm tuned for E85 so I'm. Trying to see if I have those two wires hooked up Wrong.
Attached Images

Gotit4cheap16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #1959
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Sure.. I’ll get a pic for you...

-Don
Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #1960
hammdo
'It's an experiment'