Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Bumble_Bee

Drives: 2SS RS
1600 mile road trip, 19 paint chips

Like the title says, I just got back from a 1600 mile road trip over the weekend. I've been cleaning the car all day and have filled in 19, yes, 19 paint chips. I know someone will chime in and say "if you don't want paint chips don't drive it", and I get that. However, my wife's car has over 70k and my truck has over 60k and BETWEEN them I haven't filled in 19 paint chips. Now, I don't have a clear bra, and yes, that would have saved probably 5 of the 19. But the other 14 are in places I wouldn't have put a clear bra (on the roof, top of the fenders, etc). Also, this was ALL freeway driving from Denver south and the roads appeared very 'clean'.

I guess I'm just venting as I know we are all in the same boat when it comes to our paint on these cars. Misery loves company. At this rate however I'm not going to have much factory paint left in a year or two
Bumble_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Hupperware

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Metallic 1LT
Send a message via AIM to Hupperware Send a message via MSN to Hupperware Send a message via Yahoo to Hupperware Send a message via Skype™ to Hupperware
I-25 is never clean!

That sucks. I'm not looking forward to the paint damage to and from Vegas .
Hupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Bumble_Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk View Post
GOD ITS PERFECTALLY NORMAL TO HAVE 19 PAINT CHIPS IN 1600 MILES. CLEAR BRA YOUR CAR AND DONT TAIL GATE. OMGZ!!!! ALSO ITS THE DESIGN OF THE CAR!! ITS THE PAINT WE CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!

Thats pretty much what your going to hear from anyone. There is a problem with the paint, I dont give a F%ck what anyone says. Its not normal.
Holy hell my blood started to boil as I read your post...until I got to the second paragraph of course! I agree, totally not normal.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Bumble_Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hupperware View Post
I-25 is never clean!

That sucks. I'm not looking forward to the paint damage to and from Vegas .
I actually disagree. We've had a lot of rain recently and it was surprisingly clear of sand/gravel. Well, at least it seemed that way at 75mph!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee View Post
Holy hell my blood started to boil as I read your post...until I got to the second paragraph of course! I agree, totally not normal.
I agree, the design actually captures rocks, not aerodynamic at all. I have several little chips but I really don't care. Its a car and roads are made from rocks. If you don't like heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Stop drinking alcohol and save enough to buy a new Camaro.
Stop smoking and you can pay for the insurance and gas.

Take a Valium if the chips bother you so much. SORRY SIR
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I took mine on a 2 hour drive the Jannetty Racing and luckily I did not get any chips.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Bumble_Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
I agree, the design actually captures rocks, not aerodynamic at all. I have several little chips but I really don't care. Its a car and roads are made from rocks. If you don't like heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Stop drinking alcohol and save enough to buy a new Camaro.
Stop smoking and you can pay for the insurance and gas.

Take a Valium if the chips bother you so much. SORRY SIR
Hmmm. Interesting analogies. I don't drink, and didn't complain about not being able to purchase a new camaro. I don't smoke, and didn't complain about the price of insurance or gas. No apologies necessary, you and I just have very different opinions about what is acceptable and what is not.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee View Post
Like the title says, I just got back from a 1600 mile road trip over the weekend. I've been cleaning the car all day and have filled in 19, yes, 19 paint chips. I know someone will chime in and say "if you don't want paint chips don't drive it", and I get that. However, my wife's car has over 70k and my truck has over 60k and BETWEEN them I haven't filled in 19 paint chips. Now, I don't have a clear bra, and yes, that would have saved probably 5 of the 19. But the other 14 are in places I wouldn't have put a clear bra (on the roof, top of the fenders, etc). Also, this was ALL freeway driving from Denver south and the roads appeared very 'clean'.

I guess I'm just venting as I know we are all in the same boat when it comes to our paint on these cars. Misery loves company. At this rate however I'm not going to have much factory paint left in a year or two
Seems like a lot of chips for the milage. I went from Idaho to Vegas a few weeks back and had NO chips! My car is still a chip virgin. Can't explain it as I did not have the splash guards installed at that time. (got a retro looking set from RPI) I have tested the thickness of my paint and it has 9+ mils. This is double what it should be. I believe mine went through twice. All the other camaros I have tested (3) also had extra mils. I am curious if the cars that are chipping easily have fewer mils of paint?
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
I have a few on mine and I'm not liking it. I did look into the splash guards and I'm going to get them put on. I think my car is way to new for all the paint chips going on. I only hand wash my car so I see everyone thats new.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
DIGthat2SS
I can dig that..

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/RS M6
anyone wana post a pic of a paint chip because mine hasnt chipped and i wana now how bad ill have to suffer
DIGthat2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
ahzooah

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro 2SS
i have 1600 miles and the nose and windshield look like i was driving behind a gravel truck. i do realize that if u dont want chips dont drive it but my wifes lincoln mks has a carlite windshield and it has 20thousand miles and it dosent have any signs of damage. errrrrrrrrrrrr 40grand car and now this. i contacted dealer and got a responce that i wanted to grab him by his neck and shove his face in the windshiled. has anyone contacted gm about these issues and if so can u give me the number as i cant get ahold of anyone in detroit
ahzooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I just did 2400 miles round trip and have several new chips. This really chaps my ass on a car I paid 36K for.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
ahzooah

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro 2SS
just got off phone with dealership and he says that he has made complaints about all the new cars with this problem but there responce is that there looking at safety problems as a priority instead of paint chips. what a freaking answer. we bail them out and they ignore us. i think this is the last gm car i will ever buy. im sticking to old school vehicles from now on. my 68SS has no paint chips and a windshild from 1968 and dont look 1/2 as bad as my new camaro. good luck to everyone else with these problems. dealer said he will fwd gm's email that they are responding to as soon as he gives it to me
ahzooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
mth35115

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss inferno orange
I think a lot of the problem isn't so much the paint but the plastic the bumper is made from. Most of the chips in my paint have small dents in the plastic, with little spikes of plastic sticking up that you can feel with your hand. Just a thought.

HOT ROD SS
MTH35115
mth35115 is offline   Reply With Quote