Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars

Old 10-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
Army of Wuzzy

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Carbon Fiber Front Splitter

As I found myself finishing my second year of college (mechanical engineering) during Covid-19 season, I needed to fill my time. I had just finished a fluid dynamics class which covered aerodynamics and wanted to see what improvements I could make on my Camaro. I also have a huge interest in composites, although my only experience has been with respect to FSAE.

To keep a long story short, I created a front splitter out of carbon fiber, and I'm in love with it. I hand laid the entire thing, so while there are errors, I think it turned out fantastically. Here is some production photos

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  130.8 KB
Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  115.8 KB
Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  79.9 KB

Here it is on my Camaro

Name:  image0 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  93.8 KB
Name:  image2 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 1103
Size:  432.9 KB
Name:  image3 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  177.8 KB
Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  166.9 KB
I don't want to write a whole process of how I did the whole setup, although I am more than happy to discuss the process with anyone interested.

"If you aren't first, you're last"
-Ricky Bobby
Army of Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Gotta say BEAUTIFUL WORK!!! Almost too nice for street use. Watch out for curbs, rain channels and other road abnormalities. I've been considering getting the "Sliplo" protection for my Z. You may want to do the same to protect your excellent fab work.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Wow, very nice.
The rods mount to the steel bumper it looks like?
I want to build a similar setup but the idea of removing the nose has put me off so far.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
Army of Wuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Gotta say BEAUTIFUL WORK!!! Almost too nice for street use. Watch out for curbs, rain channels and other road abnormalities. I've been considering getting the "Sliplo" protection for my Z. You may want to do the same to protect your excellent fab work.
I appreciate it a lot. While the roads in STL are terrible, I haven't had any issues scraping even while being on coilovers. Maybe after the sideskirts. I definitely could use more work involving carbon fiber. I've toyed with the idea of recreating them in a batch to sell, although I'd definitely need to refine my process, and eliminate as much error as possible.

Your Z is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely a dream car of mine for sometime after I finish my undergrad.

-Ricky Bobby
Old 10-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
Army of Wuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Wow, very nice.
The rods mount to the steel bumper it looks like?
I want to build a similar setup but the idea of removing the nose has put me off so far.
It does connect to the steel bumper because otherwise it wouldn't have much rigidity other than the frame mounts. I definitely recommend doing something similar, and I'll definitely offer advice/ideas where I can.

-Ricky Bobby
Old 10-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Well, i guess i'm pulling the nose off and doing it.
ABS or carbon fiber is my next dilemma. If CF then i gotta build a form too but less likely to break in the long run. The jury is still out on material but either way it'll need rods.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Army of Wuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Well, i guess i'm pulling the nose off and doing it.
ABS or carbon fiber is my next dilemma. If CF then i gotta build a form too but less likely to break in the long run. The jury is still out on material but either way it'll need rods.
Carbon fiber is a great way to go. I worked on it in my free time and found it took me about a week. If you need any assistance in design, feel free to message me!

-Ricky Bobby
Old 10-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Bro, that looks freakin amazing !! Nice work and looks great on your Camaro!!!
Old 05-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
greyscale

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Looks awesome, a buddy of mine started doing carbon on his own cars and friends cars and now owns an amazing carbon fiber company that makes whatever you can think of! Might be a good idea for you as well, can never have enough good people working on carbon.
greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #10
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
That is very beautiful work. I've had a splitter on my car for almost as long as I've owned it (though I doubt it actually does anything) and I've been pretty careful and its remained relatively scratch free. I just curbed it while parallel parking soon after I bought it. I learned my lesson real quick and haven't had any more bumps after that. I hope yours also stays mint too.

I was wondering about your fog lights, are you using them as ducts for brakes?
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Army of Wuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
That is very beautiful work. I've had a splitter on my car for almost as long as I've owned it (though I doubt it actually does anything) and I've been pretty careful and its remained relatively scratch free. I just curbed it while parallel parking soon after I bought it. I learned my lesson real quick and haven't had any more bumps after that. I hope yours also stays mint too.

I was wondering about your fog lights, are you using them as ducts for brakes?
Yeah that was the original use for the holes. I didn't have foglights so I fitted in the ducting systems. Pulled them out a while ago to refine the system and life got in the way so I never got around to redoing them although its on the list.

-Ricky Bobby
Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #12
Army of Wuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyscale View Post
Looks awesome, a buddy of mine started doing carbon on his own cars and friends cars and now owns an amazing carbon fiber company that makes whatever you can think of! Might be a good idea for you as well, can never have enough good people working on carbon.
I've definitely considered composites work for a career. My engineering class that covered those topics was one of my favorite classes I've taken. They're super awesome to work with!

-Ricky Bobby
Old 08-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
Army of Wuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Bro, that looks freakin amazing !! Nice work and looks great on your Camaro!!!
Thank you! It was a lot of work, but I love it. I still want to do some side skirts but I'm planning to get more in depth with the process.

-Ricky Bobby
Old 08-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #14
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army of Wuzzy View Post
Yeah that was the original use for the holes. I didn't have foglights so I fitted in the ducting systems. Pulled them out a while ago to refine the system and life got in the way so I never got around to redoing them although its on the list.

I'd love to see how you make the fog lights into ducts. t seems to be a bit tighter inside the Camaro's front bumper. I've installed brake ducts on my other car, a Z4. There is a company that makes backing plates that bolt on for the Z4, all I had to do was cut out a hole in the grill for the ducting.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote