Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #239
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastepile View Post
I'm considering putting 3.91 gears on my 2010 SS M6. Will the SS handle thus change with everything else stock, or are there other parts I should change to handle the additional torque? Thanks
I've got a good article on gear changes and choices - specifically "geared" toward the 5th gen Camaro SS M6 cars. It might help you think about what the right fit is for your combo.

https://gwatneyperformance.com/geari...1-manual-cars/

You don't NEED to change anything else when you do a gear swap - but there is no better time to upgrade the weak, poor performing, quick to wear out OEM limited slip differential to an Eaton TruTrac - a helical style differential that has a more aggressive bias ratio (better limited slip performance), and is much stronger than the OEM unit. The best part is, they don't wear out - they deliver years of solid performance, where-as I've never met a mid to high miles OEM LSD that still worked much at all.

Also not required but recommended, and again, no better time to do it, is differential bushings. The OEM bushings are very soft and provide great NVH reduction, but offer little support to the differential and allow substantial deflection under high load (ie. launches, gear changes). This is turn adds more of that "springy" feeling to the driveline, and contributes to destructive wheel hop.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #240
wastepile

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro SS M6
Thank you, very helpful!
wastepile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.73, 3.91, 4.11, gear ratio, gears swap