Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #29
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Thanks, I will look into that fuse. Mine is a 2010 and didn't have the npp option as far as I know. I got the tail lights today, 6800 series. They look good and I checked the seals and they look good as well. I will try and install them by the weekend and see how they work. I will update this thread with any questions, problems, and the results. Thank you everyone for their advice and experience!
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #30
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

OK I couldn't wait to install them. LOL Got finished 2hours ago. Took me under 2hours to install as I was in no rush. They look and (so far) function stellar. Also they are VERY bright.

For those that may be wondering. The install in relatively straight forward and easy with the proper tools. The kit comes with everything you need minus the tools, obviously. The instructions are easy to understand, BUT can come across as vague. If you can change a light bulb you can do this. One big concern that is pointed out in the instructions is too HAND TIGHTEN the nuts holding the lights OR it can cause the lights too leak/fog. I removed most of the nuts by hand and tightened them just the same, no tools except just a 10mm socket/box wrench...no ratchet or torque needed. Removing the bezels on the lights is the hardest and most time consuming part. Take your time or you WILL break the tabs that hold them. If you have large hands or are easily frustrated you may have difficulty with the install.

ALSO:

There is no PINK wire on the set that I received nor does the instructions say anything about one. However there is a PURPLE wire which must be connected IF you want to utilize showmode. The lights work as they should without this wire hooked up. I chose not to hook this up and taped it off for extra protection against grounding. The lights receive their power from the OEM harness, the only extra is the ballasts that must be installed.

If anyone has questions please feel free to ask! We can keep this thread informed and going so anyone who has questions in the future may be able to find their answers.

This only applies to older models. I received the newest, 6800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
FYI ...also be aware of how they can go into show-mode due to the power drain they cause when the car isn't run for a while ...some have experienced this in a little as 5-7 days.

February 5, 2013
To: All Technostalgia Dealers
Re: Long Term Storage of Gen 5 Camaros with Technostalgia Part 6700x or 6701x

Per our installation instructions, Technostalgia Part 6700x or 6701x
requires a direct connection to the car’s positive battery terminal. This direct battery connection allows for the “show” mode to operate while the car is not running. However, this connection also draws a constant electrical current of approximately .090 amperes from the battery. If the car is driven once a week, the car battery can maintain enough reserve to start the car without problem. However, 90 milliamps will drain a car battery over a longer period of time. This can be exacerbated by other aftermarket equipment
that require a direct battery connection, particularly, powered stereo amplifiers.

Customers may notice, after storing their cars for a period of time, that the show mode may be “on” even though the purple wire is disconnected from ground. The show mode will engage when the car battery voltage drops below about 9 volts. Note that the show mode is an indicator of a low battery, not the cause as may be suspected

For long term vehicle storage, employ at least one these methods:
1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
2. Use a trickle battery charger.
3. Disconnect the “pink” wire that goes from the Technostalgia lights to the
positive battery terminal.
4. Connect the “pink” wire from the Technostalgia lights to a wire in the car
that has constant voltage only when the ignition is “on.” Note that with
this method, the “show” mode will only work when the key is in the “on”
or “acc” position.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #31
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
thanks for the how to black ss10,,i got mine in a couple days ago just cant make the time yet to do the install,,,,,gotta have the show mode function,,just gotta route the wiring up front to the console with a fac looking switch,,
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #32
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker1958 View Post
thanks for the how to black ss10,,i got mine in a couple days ago just cant make the time yet to do the install,,,,,gotta have the show mode function,,just gotta route the wiring up front to the console with a fac looking switch,,
Not a problem. Hope your install goes as smooth as mine did!

More to come.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #33
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
TIPs
After you get the bezels off put some vasoline on the tabs. Makes it a piece of cake to get them off the next time.

Tie a single knot using thin fishing line on the outer nuts before you put them back on. Tie the other end of the line to the bezel cover post. This way if you drop the nut when putting it back on you won't loose it.
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:49 AM   #34
Annibal702001

Drives: 2012 victory red 2ls
Technostalgia lights

Where is everyone getting the 6800 series sets from? I emailed technostalgia to ask them what the newest version is, and if they fixed the issues with them. I received a response from a Todd sondles saying the 6701 is the newest version. He provided me a link to get them for around $340. If this isn't the newest so called fixed version, where can I get the 680p series? Everywhere I go I only find 6701. As far as Todd, I guessing he's handing me a line of b.s. I remember reading about the 6800, just can't find them.
Annibal702001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #35
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibal702001 View Post
Where is everyone getting the 6800 series sets from? I emailed technostalgia to ask them what the newest version is, and if they fixed the issues with them. I received a response from a Todd sondles saying the 6701 is the newest version. He provided me a link to get them for around $340. If this isn't the newest so called fixed version, where can I get the 680p series? Everywhere I go I only find 6701. As far as Todd, I guessing he's handing me a line of b.s. I remember reading about the 6800, just can't find them.
I ordered mine through carparts.com. just under 300 shipped.

More to come.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #36
mma

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post

Interesting that you got the latest... they're offering the 6701 on their website. Might jump on this myself.
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #37
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma View Post
Interesting that you got the latest... they're offering the 6701 on their website. Might jump on this myself.
I rechecked the contents of the package and the instructions say series 6800.

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 02-03-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #38
Annibal702001

Drives: 2012 victory red 2ls
I'm not really sure what they did from the 6701 to the 6800? I keep running across 6701. That seems like all I can find. I'm not sure if anyone on here has the 6800 series that we can get a review on. I really want these lights. I just wanna make sure I get the version that's not crap.
Annibal702001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #39
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibal702001 View Post
I'm not really sure what they did from the 6701 to the 6800? I keep running across 6701. That seems like all I can find. I'm not sure if anyone on here has the 6800 series that we can get a review on. I really want these lights. I just wanna make sure I get the version that's not crap.
In my previous posts I stated that the instructions say the ones I received are "series 6800". I put my review/writeup a few posts up, #30. So far mine work great, but it is only day two.

More to come.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #40
slapshot71

Drives: inferno orange 2010 ss
Ive had myTechnostalgia tail lights for a good 4 yrs,,, and I've never had a problem yet...
slapshot71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #41
BlueRay2ss

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 2013 2LS 1998 Z28
Hi! Just wanted to put my 2cents in. I installed my set of Technostalgias in July of 2014.I got the 6800 series which I ordered through Bad-Mab designs, which are not available through them anymore. The lights worked great for a few months, then they started "acting up", lights flashing when they shouldn't, etc. I sent them in and Todd did a "software update", reinstalled, and had no problems. Fast forward, currently my passenger turn signals were blinking out of order and the outer brake light would fade out when brake depressed. I also got a "Check right turn signal " message on the dash, which had never happened before. Called Todd again and he had me send them in, I put them in the mail today. Personally, I have had a good experience with Todd. I don't always get a quick call back when I've had to leave a message, but other times he answers the phone right away.

With these lights, it seems they're more prone to misbehaving when the car sits, mine is a fair weather driver, as well as fellow Camaro owners with these lights. If you anticipate a long time between drives, just hook up a battery maintainer. I will respond again when he returns my lights and I've reinstalled.

Besides the issues and the cost, I love these lights and hope for more time with them.
BlueRay2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #42
OlePhu
Oldskool

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
TIPs
After you get the bezels off put some vasoline on the tabs. Makes it a piece of cake to get them off the next time.

Tie a single knot using thin fishing line on the outer nuts before you put them back on. Tie the other end of the line to the bezel cover post. This way if you drop the nut when putting it back on you won't loose it.
Great tips, thank you. I hate it when I drop my nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Not even listed on their site now. Others have them but for $400ish and that's too much for me to take a gamble. With my luck, I'd get one of the problem lights. Thanks for every ones input.
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote